Beretta AL391 Urika 2 MAX-4

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Beretta AL391 Urika 2 MAX-4

Postby motoxer96 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:17 pm

Found a Beretta AL391 Urika 2 MAX-4 at my local store for $1050 roughly. Was there looking at SX3 and VersaMax. Looked for Maxus to but it was not in stock. Tried them all out and never really liked the feel of any of them. Then I saw the AL391. Tried it out. Felt great and it felt like a really nice light gun. I dont believe their made anymore though. So is that a bad thing or did they just make a new gun with the more BS on it to attract the consumer that has to have every beretta made. Anyways I was just looking for some input on the AL391. Any problems with it jamming. And is there any reason not to get this gun over the other models I listed. I live in oregon and hunt on the coast and the columbia river often and have had trouble with my previous gun jamming. Mossberg 500. First duck gun and not worth comparing to anything else I am looking at now. Thanks for any help you can give me.
motoxer96
Newb

Re: Beretta AL391 Urika 2 MAX-4

Postby SMcGarrity » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Got a 391 Urika 1 that has been a solid shooting piece for me. One of the better gas operated guns out there and many other fowlers would probably agree. I don't find it to be a high mtnce gas gun. I did have some work done to it though.

2 years ago it wouldn't push another shell into the barrel after I would fire a shot in really cold conditions. I ended up putting a sure cycle recoil spring in it b/c the one I had in there was absolutely worn the hell out and had some rust. The aluminum firing pin was also replaced with a steel firing pin. Those are the only problem I've had with it and there have been thousands of rounds fired out of that gun over the past 7-8 years. It has been dropped in water, rained on, fallen in mud, etc.

All in all, I think it has held up fairly well. Not sure what the improvements are in the Urika 2 vs the Urika, but Beretta makes a nice gun...that's my 2 cents.
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby Jonny4523 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:51 pm

I have the exact shotgun you're looking at. I've had it for about two years and has given be two great seasons of pheasant. Both the A391 and the AL391 are both proven shotguns, just like many of the Berettas before them. They simply discontinued them to bring out the new A300 and A400 models.
Jonny4523
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:52 pm

If you like it and it fit, buy it. There is and will be parts for the foreseeable future. The action parts are readily available and have been for decades, they haven't really changed for several model changes/upgrades. The gas system by design is self cleaning and tunable with a Cole's Gas Spring set.

If a 3" gun is all you need, you can't do much better and it comes with Beretta's 1 + 2, 3yr warranty.

I have several in 12 and 20 and won't be changing anytime soon.

The only real differences between the original Urika and the Urika II are cosmetic and the over bored Optima Plus barrels. Which I find like steel shot much better than the original Mobil choke barrels.

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby motoxer96 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:13 am

Thanks for all your info guys. I will definatly be considering this gun for the next couple months. Only thing that I can really fault it at. Is it cant hold 3 1/2 inch shells. Which in the future I might want for honkers. Might just buy a 10 gauge when that day comes. Any more info on this gun I would greatly appreciate:

Rocoil
Shell Ejection
How well the coating holds up
Choke upgrades
motoxer96
Newb

Postby Jonny4523 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:32 am

The recoil is comprable to other autoloaders. In my opinion, I would say that it is about the same as my Benelli M2 and less than my Remington 1100, more than my A400.

Not sure what you're asking with the shell ejection. Mine in consistent? I've never had one stove pipe on me

My Urika 2 max-4's coating looks great other than the usual wear right around the ejection port area. But I've definitely kept good care of it. I have seen two Xtrema 2s (which I assume use the same coating) start to peel. One of the Xtrema 2s was a max-4 that started to peel on top of the receiver. I have a buddy who has a black Xtrema 2 that actually started to peel on the barrel around where the barrel meets the receiver. So while mine has held up, I wouldn't say it's invincible.

These use the OptimaChoke Plus tubes. There is a plethera of options out there from all the different manufactures.
Jonny4523
hunter

Postby motoxer96 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:21 am

Thanks again jonny for the info. You have really been a big help.
motoxer96
Newb

Postby Normmcclean » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:06 am

Buy it best gun I have ever owned I sold mine 2 seasons ago to buy an extrema 2 then I bought a A400 extreme after all that I wish I still had the urika 2 I might try and pick one up on gun broker if one comes up for a good price
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby motoxer96 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Sounds like everybody likes this gun and it would be a great choice. Any more thoughts on it I would appreciate.
motoxer96
Newb

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:21 pm

I hunt geese a d don't use a 3 1/2" gun, either a Urika or Auto-5 Stalker.

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby kbooger » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:45 pm

motoxer96 wrote:Sounds like everybody likes this gun and it would be a great choice. Any more thoughts on it I would appreciate.

I have this exact gun and I really like it. However it has failed to chamber a second or third round a few times, one of times it was opener when action was hot. Probably did it 5 times that day, I was pissed. But I can't be sure it wasn't lubed correctly or that my old and somewhat rusty shells weren't partly to blame. It has done it 2 times on the skeet range as well with brand new shells.

It is at the smith now to replace the recoil spring. If that and more lube on the don't do it I'd probably go for the sure cycle. All that being said I love how the gun shoulders and shoots. I would recommend it mostly because the fit and balance.

A complete cleaning on this gun is a PITA. A simple cleaning is pretty easy.
kbooger
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:28 am

Don't use oil in it that's the reason most gas shotguns have failures strip all the parts clean with carb cleaner then use dry lube only and you should never have issue again. I use mine in mexico in the desert farmland of northern Baja in dusty fields and brackish marshes. Out picks up dirt like crazy and is a guns worst enemy. Dry lube or LPs 1 and keep it light don't need much lube and they will never fail I keep my guns in mexico and usually shoot 2000 hunting loads a season between cleaning.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby kbooger » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:30 pm

Normmcclean wrote:Don't use oil in it that's the reason most gas shotguns have failures strip all the parts clean with carb cleaner then use dry lube only and you should never have issue again. I use mine in mexico in the desert farmland of northern Baja in dusty fields and brackish marshes. Out picks up dirt like crazy and is a guns worst enemy. Dry lube or LPs 1 and keep it light don't need much lube and they will never fail I keep my guns in mexico and usually shoot 2000 hunting loads a season between cleaning.

I doubt dirt is my issue since I live in MN and there was no way my gun accumulated dirt from the time it got cleaned to when I took it out shooting. It wasn't that cold either.
kbooger
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:53 am

Keep oil off the gun use dry lube. Maybe strip down return spring then clean piston and gas port in the barrel. My 20ga Beretta did 2700 rounds in Argentina without a hiccup. I wouldn't mind having a sure cycle though in the stock and also the magazine spring might have to treat my workhorse Berettas to a refresh. Good luck I hope you get it fixed.
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:05 am

I had one for a couple years then traded it for a Maxus. Mine hardly ever worked, usually jammed or wouldn't even shoot. I kept it clean too. Also the recoil in 3" loads was pretty harsh. I know Beretta can make good guns, but I was very disappointed in this shotgun and Beretta customer service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4
Takeem406
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum