How many Waterfowl Hunters are using a SxS this year?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

How many Waterfowl Hunters are using a SxS this year?

Postby Joe Guide » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:55 am

I like to use my old Spanish 3" Magnum 30" SXS 12 ga.

Old school duck hunting and enjoy the hunt with your friends.

If you asked ten shooters after a duck hunt, perhaps one is ten will kill a duck with that third shell using a automatic or a pump. However many hunters certainly do like having that third shell available. Certainly the shotshell manufacturers enjoy hunters shooting up a lot of shells.

What's your preference when it comes to shotgunning for waterfowl?
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Re: How many Waterfowl Hunters are using a SxS this year?

Postby BobM » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:44 am

Most of last year and all of this season I will be using one of three, depending on conditions and location:
Merkel 12 sxs, Merkel16 sxs, and a Beretta 20 O/U. All have had fixed chokes reworked to pattern with the loads I like.

BobM
BobM
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:23 am

I always make it a point to get one of my old Ithaca doubles out to the blind a couple times a season. That classic doubles ammo gets to spendy for me to do it as often as I'd like though.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Joe Guide » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:48 am

Ya'll know that all the Old School duck and waterfowl hunter's love the SxS or O/U shotguns.

I had a few old game wardens tell me at different flyways, that the shotgun a duck or goose hunter uses, can tell them a whole lot about the personality of that individual.

Just read the book: "RAMBLINGS of a Lowcountry Game Warden"...that author talks about the difference between a duck hunter, and hunters who seem to be into killing as many waterfowl as they can get away with it.
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:07 am

If you look at old Louisiana duck hunting photos, you'll be hard pressed to find a two-shooter. Wasn't that those old boys liked to waste shells, just that they knew how to kill a mess of ducks.

Might only be one in ten of your friends or clients that kills with the third shot, but that's certainly not been the case in my commercial blinds, even counting all the once-a-year guys who are only here for the corporate outing. Many seem more apt to kill with the third shot than first.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby kbooger » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:31 am

I don't get the nostalgia with shooting ducks with a SxS or OU. And I'd rather have the OPTION of having a 3rd shot than not. I also think having to open your gun each time you reload is a giant pain. I also don't like the thought of dunking my wood stocked gun. I use a semi-auto, because I think that is the best suited gun for waterfowl hunting.
kbooger
hunter

Postby Windrider » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:12 pm

I'll use a 20ga SxS a couple of times this season.

My personal favorite is an A5.
Windrider
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:15 pm

So a game warden can tell what kind of hunter I am by what I shoot that's funny :huh:
cootlover
hunter

Postby JWG » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:04 pm

I saw a pic of the new duck men(kinda dead to me) and it did put a smile to my face. Phil had his sweet 16 and everybody else had a benelli. I thought that was pretty good
JWG
hunter

Postby JWG » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:07 pm

Ohh, and I saw the duckmen Mossberg thing. In the new Shooting Times, Mossberg has a new Silver Reserve II SXS in 20 & 28 with a retail of close to $1100. Kinda crazy?
JWG
hunter

Postby justsomeguy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:51 pm

I got a 16ga Ithaca SxS from 1924 that I'll be taking out a few times this year.
justsomeguy
hunter

Postby BobM » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:47 pm

I do like my double guns, but to me it's more gun fit than a nostalgia thing. Given a box of shells I will kill more doves, ducks, quail or clays with my sxs than I will with the 390, 870s, or M37s that hang around here.

I think more important than what you shoot is what you shoot well! Course I don't shoot any of them to well, just better with the doubles. :wink:
BobM
BobM
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:38 pm

dont have one anymore as I sold it to buy my pump...but my old single barrel baikal and my sons one both have killed ducks this year, you are so right about gun fit being king.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:29 pm

I have been using an O/U for waterfowl for probably 15 years now. Usually the 20 gauge but sometimes the 12........... I even get a 3rd shot off now and then....... I like the O/Us slightly shorter length in the layout blind. I also like than when I'm rolling around in the mud I can just pop the shells out to check for barrel obstructions. And while not always an advantage having two chokes is nice at times, not to mention ease of changing loads when the ducks are working instead of the geese.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby birddog crazy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:44 pm

I don't use my side by side guns for waterfowl just for upland birds but for waterfowl hunting 80% of the time I will grab a camo 3 1/2 chambered over under instead of one of my 3 1/2 autos because I do like the two choke option. I also do have a auto in the boat just in case some ones gun breaks which has occurred lol.
birddogs rule and all the rest drool, for birddogs love you for you and do not ask for anything in return but love so hug your birddog
birddog crazy
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Spunky » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:32 am

I still use 2 side by sides for the majority of my hunting. Been using them since the early 70's. Bought them because of the weather. Back in the 70's we had a prolonged period of below 0 temps and the pumps and semi were freezing up. Lows at night were in the -20-30 temp range and day time highs were still below 0. Guys would drive to the goose fields and bring the repeaters out and with in a half hour they had to go back and thaw out the guns. The actions froze. The doubles opened, and fired and never froze. I went out and bought 2, one a 10 gauge and the other a 16.

The 16 is my go to gun now for ducks. Has a nice sight plane and swings smoothly. And it kills ducks as well as any gun over decoys.
Spunky
hunter

Postby Joe Guide » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:39 am

Glad to see so many individuals out there who can appreciate the beauty and depth of a Classic SxS, no matter it's origin. I do feel that Waterfowlers, and wildfowlers may feel more strongly on this subject, however there are the upland hunters who also appreciate using SxS when bird hunting. Where as someone who cares more about "just shooting a lot" may lean more towards the Automatic. It does say something as to individual's personality, mentioned a Yale graduate, and Professor to me on a hunt, however you would be surprised at just how many Ivy league types love their SxS.

Of course, I am aware that there is currently a outdoor media blitz related to AMMO and AUTOMATICS...

I just like to hear about those who are more from the Old School style of waterfowl hunting, and enjoy the side by sides.

There are so many well crafted shotguns out on the market, and tons of Classic SxS ...being traded much like Art Work in another aspect, altogether related to financial trading aspects not really related to those who hunt.

I was happy to see that the "Son" of Mr. Nash Buckingham's best hunting buddy: Mr. Hal Howard, financially provided for obtaining the original BO WHOOP...that COL Sheldon, and Mr. Buckingham made famous throughout their articles. That shotgun was donated (or perhaps...on loan) to D.U. at their HQ in Memphis, TN. I am sure that the numbers of people that visited the Nash Buckingham exhibit has increased over time, as there is quite a number who are interested in seeing that shotgun.

Shotguns, certainly do have the ability define one's "character", as would.... a family's dog appears to take on that individual owners- unique character, don't you think?

Benneli is a fine, and (expensive) automatic, and indeed quite popular, however, it's certainly not a Browning, or a Remington...or Winchester, and it will, I am certain, take Benneli at least, twenty or more years to establish a deeper reputation upon the psyche of the American outdoorsman or woman.
Joe Guide
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:21 am

Joe Guide wrote:If you asked ten shooters after a duck hunt, perhaps one is ten will kill a duck with that third shell using a automatic or a pump.

I take it you're not really a guide. Even though a lot of guided hunters are only very occasional hunters or even first timers, I've found the percentage of mine who know when and how to use a third shot to good effect appreciably higher than that. Given experienced hunters, yours is an argument that doesn't hold much water outside the grouse/woodcock woods.

Most guides I know tend to cringe when doubles are uncased. Sure, there are exceptions (no doubt yourself and every other now offended reader), but most double users through our camp seem more into fashion than utility.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:06 am

Joe Guide wrote: What's your preference when it comes to shotgunning for waterfowl?

My preference is having three shots. I enjoy the hunt with my friends very nicely when I'm using my autoloader. In fact, I enjoy it more when we end up killing lots of ducks.... and when I or my partner gets a triple, well, "it just don't git no better'n that". Maybe it's just me......

I just checked my hunting log for this season, and out of 411 shells fired at birds so far, 22 of them were third shots.
Of those 22 third shots, 15 resulted in a downed bird. Those are fifteen opportunities that I was able to capitalize on because I was not shooting a double gun. :biggrin:
After all, aren't ducks on the strap the ultimate reason we go duck hunting? :huh:

Increased opportunities and reduced recoil are why I shoot a gas-operated autoloading shotgun.

While a double gun is so veddy European, and some guys prefer them in the marsh, I've never found them to be of any advantage...and I own five of them.

It won't be long on this thread before someone brings up the "I shoot better because I only have two shots" theory. Well, to those I say, you can just put two shells in a pumpgun as well, if that's your style....you don't need a double-gun to limit yourself to two shots. :thumbsup:

I, too, can pretty much tell what kind of duck hunter one is by his gun. When I see a double-gun, I figure the guy is a fashion statement, and/or mainly out here for "the experience". When I see a well-used Wingmaster, or a Benelli/Browning/Beretta/Remington autoloader, I put him in the "serious duck gunner" category.
mudpack
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:36 pm

I shoot a triple at least once a season, have shot a quadruple, which is reason enough for me to use a 3 shell gun. Cripples are an even better reason for the 3rd shell.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:12 pm

I will take out my grand fathers old Stevens 311 for a couple of duck hunts each year. Also I love that gun when I go pheasant hunting or a bunny hunt.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby 1steve7301 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Early season I us my 1899 Parker VH on a #2 frame with 32" barrels choked .038, both barrels . Great waterfowl gun and swings and balances like a dream :yes:
1steve7301
hunter

Postby blackrock » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:51 pm

I don't see any reason not to use a side by side sometimes. I'd use mine if I could find any safe shells locally to shoot out of it. It's just a Browning BSS. What do you guys use for ammo? I guess I need to order some. I do use my Citori Hunter 3.5 sometimes, especially if it's really cold or snowy. My Benelli usually goes with though.
blackrock
hunter

Postby 1steve7301 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:16 am

Buy some bismuth, ITX or nice shot and roll your own.
1steve7301
hunter

Postby wh20crazy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:44 pm

I've always used my double on geese. It is pretty cool to drop one w/ each barrel. This season I considered buying a bps 10 for the capacity (no plugs required in September). After thinking about it, I rarely hit w/ the 2nd shot if I miss the 1st. I'll keep on shooting it & leave it up to y'all to figure out what kind of hunter I am.
wh20crazy
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum