CHOKE SELECTION

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

CHOKE SELECTION

Postby Thundersnow » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:59 pm

I was wondering how come people talk about using tight chokes, suggest using them, and then complain about people sky blasting. If you are planing on shooting within 35-40 yards there is not one reason to use more than an improved cylinder for ducks. If you pattern an IC barrel at a honest 40 yards or under (not a guess like some people do) and use a decent shot size you will see it has a killing pattern that a duck would have trouble getting through. In the old (lead) days most ducks killed over decoys were killed with a modified or improved cylinder. Full was for pass shooting. Since we know that steel usually patterns a least a choke tighter, you should be able to use IC or Skeet with the same pattern (probably better). It amazes me the people who cannot hit anything over 40 yards with any consistency would handicap themselves with a choke that hinders them from killing ducks at the distance they can kill them. Most hunters think they need a tight pattern, big shot, and heavy loads to kill ducks because that is what they have been told (and sold). If they would use a choke for the distance they can hit a duck they would be alot more effective and have alot more enjoyment.

Example:
One of the deadliest loads avaliable is a shotgun shooting 3 1/2" 4's though a cylinder bore. It gives you a great margin of error and a very deadly pattern. Hunters would have much greater success with this setup than 3 1/2" 2's or BB's full choke. They might even convince other hunters they are truely good shots.
Thundersnow
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:14 pm

I just use the modified choke that came in my 870. I would like to get a patternmaster though. My friend let me borrow his on a hunt one time and that thing is dead on. Every duck I shot died instantly, no cripples. Most of the time I shoot 3 1/2 #2's. I haven't ever tried #4's. Is there a big difference? If it patterns better I may have to try it out and switch.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Thundersnow » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:29 pm

The pattern master is suppose to shorten the shot string. This is good because you either have alot of pellets on the target at once or you miss completely (at least in theory). It also keeps it tight. If you stay in close though and use smaller shot, even 6's on occasion, you can have a longer shot string, sufficiant pellets, and a little more room for error.

There was a very in depth study performed with the results being the "CONSEP 2000 Steel shot Lethality Table". It states " steel 4s has exhibited good all-around performance for taking small and medium ducks,but has not proven lethal on large ducks beyond 45 yards." It also states steel 3's are the best all-around performance for taking ducks.

The main thing to remember is you want the most pellets (smallest size) you can use that will completely penetrate the bird at the distance you will shoot. If you stay within 40 yards 4's are hard to beat. If you may, on occasion, have to shoot a little farther 2's or 3's will still get the job done just with alot more holes in the pattern.
Thundersnow
hunter

Postby hawkdog » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:38 pm

Good points. Doesn't seem to make much sense using a full choke for under 40. Thanks! I think I might switch to 4's next year.
hawkdog
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:43 pm

Shot my buddy's patternmaster monday afternoon at ducks. 6 shots 5 drake mallards in 15 minutes. I was shooting 2 3/4" 6s and every bird hit the water dead. Farthest shot was 12 yards though. Most were inside 10.

Bought a box of 3" 6s. They are some killing machines. We don't shoot at ducks that aren't in the decoys, so loner range isn't a problem.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby ARMallardSlayer » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:54 am

I've shot 3 1/2's and really can't see the need for them..........2 3/4 and 3" will do just fine....
If you can't work em in close & git em in yo face with their orange langing gear down, don't bother takin the safety off!
ARMallardSlayer
hunter

Postby mfetter » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:03 pm

I just bought the pattern master and haven't had a duck or goose hit the water or ground that wasn't dead!!!! LOVE IT----Although I did like to see the dog chase cripples :thumbsup:
mfetter
hunter

Postby JWG » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:15 pm

Anyone have a Wad Wizard? I'm still trying to figure out what 10 GA I should get, but, one thing is for sure. Patternmaster doesn't seem to be making one any more for a 10 Ga. However, Wad wizard seems to have them. Kinda a neat web site they have. They take a specific shotgun and pattern it with at least a few different loads. Just would like to get some other opinions
JWG
hunter

Postby Thundersnow » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:55 pm

Remember, The regular patternmaster is made to shoot extremely tight. You shoot a duck with a full choke at 30 yards - he should be very dead. The problem is you have little room for error. Your going to miss a lot more shots than you should.
Thundersnow
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:44 am

That's why you practice. I think patternmaster does make a 10 guage choke. I saw one in a magazine. It was under the new product secion.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Thundersnow » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:03 pm

Quackkiller (and anybody who wants to answer),
Just wondering, how far are the average shots you shoot at ducks?
Thundersnow
hunter

Postby JWG » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:28 pm

quack killer, hey its funny you should mention because I just got a Cabelas waterfowl catalog from a friend and they have them. I went to the site and I swear I couldn't find them.
JWG
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:35 pm

Yeah alright, I hate to say it but I disagree with you. I know I can speak for myself and probably many other hunters, that bigger loads with tighter chokes will give you more range. And with more range you can hit more ducks period(.). You can shoot your loads if that makes you happy but I (and many other hunters) will shoot our loads, because we believe that will give us a better chance at more ducks.

-SR
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:23 pm

do the aftermarket choke tubes really make that much of a difference over factory? i wouldnt want to drop to ic for 40 yard shots.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Thundersnow » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:25 pm

I agree with you on your point that bigger loads with tighter chokes will give you more range. BUT, just because you have more range it does not mean you will hit more ducks. Maybe you are one of the few that knows how to lead a duck at 50 yards....fine. I guarantee you not more than 1 in 10 (maybe less than that) can do it with any consitancy.

Try something else. Go shoot 2 rounds of sporting clays, five stand,or skeet. One round with a full choke and one round with a IC. I would like to be able to bet on the results. If that does not prove a point to you than I doubt if anything will.
Last edited by Thundersnow on Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thundersnow
hunter

Postby Thundersnow » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:38 pm

donell67,
Would you feel ok shooting a duck at 40 yards with a modified choke and lead? You are basically doing the same thing with ic and steel. The after market chokes are mainly sold for companies to make more money. Unless you are going to shoot long shots with large pellets they are basically a waste of money. It's kinda like cars. People want the newest thing out, but, their old car will get you to the same places. Only a handful of people could ever get much use out of a race car....it has its purpose, but , not for everyone.
Thundersnow
hunter

Postby Thundersnow » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:04 am

quackkiller, still waiting for an answer.
Thundersnow
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum