h&r pardner

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

h&r pardner

Postby killingtime » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:27 pm

any body know about this pumpgun,i know made in chinkland, it is gift from my step girl. i bought her a 835 last year,so she saw this one and got it for me. it,s a steel recever,and heavy.wood,s pritty durn good! just dont know much about them.put a box of no3kents down it .a lil stiff,but with a mod choke, 25 fur 25 skeet and being heavy it not to bad on recoil :thumbsup:
killingtime
hunter

Re: h&r pardner

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:30 pm

We had one. it was the synthetic 20ga. It has a narrow/thin feel to it, I liked that because my hands fit around the grip very well. Alot of people bought the gun because of the price ( 200$ or so ). operated flawlessly for me, felt like a well built gun. But we sold ours after we figured out the barrel was warped beyond belief. I guess it was the bad luck of the draw. But everyone gets those from time to time. Do you like it so far?
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby killingtime » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:38 pm

this one is wood,has a good feel.shoot,s great so far only one box of 2 3/4 3 kent,s down it. but i went 25 for 25. dont think ill hunt duck,s with it wood+water . mostly just luv becuse kid gave it to me!!! to hevy for bird,s ,maybe dove this year. :wink:
killingtime
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:59 pm

killingtime wrote: to hevy for bird,s ,maybe dove this year. :wink:

I noticed that too! even compared to my o/u the pardner has some weight to it.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby killingtime » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:16 pm

barrel seem,s thicker than most and the wight seem,s to soak up some recoil a bit.we shot it this after noon some and with a heavy oiling,it,s getting a lot smoother to pump.it,s easy to clean for sure.
killingtime
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:29 pm

Your step daughter bought it for you. That is enough to ensure you should use it all the time from my perspective.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby killingtime » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:30 pm

well to tell it like it is, i hunt rough, and and dont want to beat it up ,she just started to hunt 2 year,s ago. we did the deer thing,but it,s to boring for her, we went duck hunting,she is hooked.cold she go,s wet she go,s no matter what she go,s. i bought her a 835 water fowl . she,s my huntin,buddy.we did not git along so well before, now we talk i mean really talk! so this shot gun means alot more than i have word,s for!
killingtime
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:41 am

killingtime wrote:well to tell it like it is, i hunt rough, and and dont want to beat it up ,she just started to hunt 2 year,s ago. we did the deer thing,but it,s to boring for her, we went duck hunting,she is hooked.cold she go,s wet she go,s no matter what she go,s. i bought her a 835 water fowl . she,s my huntin,buddy.we did not git along so well before, now we talk i mean really talk! so this shot gun means alot more than i have word,s for!

That is awesome and thanks for sharing.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:10 pm

I havent paid much attention to them the last couple years they have been out until now. I dont own one yet but am thinking real hard about one. I am wanting the camo version which seems hard to find. What I have learned about them is they are a 870 Rem clone. All of the parts interchange with the 870. The barrel from the 870 can be made to fit with minimum effort. That also means you can add a Hastings Wadlock barrel for a 870 to the PP. They do have a more slender feel than the 870. The 870s always had a fat feel to me. I also like the semi humpback reciever shape of the PP over the smooth one on the 870. I have compared both the 870 and the PP next to each other in the store and there was not any contest as I liked the PP much better.
The PP also takes Browning Invector choke threads. The trigger group on the PP has all metal parts, no plastic.
Dont let the song and dance price tag of the PP scare you away. It hasnt me as I rate the gun on its merit and not price tag. I normally shoot my SBE or Mod92 Weatherby among other way more expensive shotguns. But the PP still appeals to me. Its price tag is just a bonus.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:20 pm

Sounds similiar to the H & R Excell and the Rem 1100's but the barrels will not interchange, a Verona barrel from CDNN will. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:44 pm

Ned
From what I have read online, apparently Rem owns H&R. I guess thats how they get away with patient infringement on the 870 and 1100 patients. Despite the PP being made in China, both the PP and 870 have the same quality of metal in their parts. I can see no reason at all why the PP would not last as long as the 870. The PP does have a smoother action than the 870 Express and also see nothing to cause a breakdown with the PP. I just think it is a lot of gun for very little money and would be proud to own one. I think I am missing out not having one to play with.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:47 pm

10gaOkie wrote:Ned
From what I have read online, apparently Rem owns H&R. I guess thats how they get away with patient infringement on the 870 and 1100 patients. Despite the PP being made in China, both the PP and 870 have the same quality of metal in their parts. I can see no reason at all why the PP would not last as long as the 870. The PP does have a smoother action than the 870 Express and also see nothing to cause a breakdown with the PP. I just think it is a lot of gun for very little money and would be proud to own one. I think I am missing out not having one to play with.

Chris

I'm thought Harrington an Richardson were parnered through marlin firearms... I think the link to H&R from the marlin website supports that. Same as goin to beretta and having access to Benelli, stoeger, and stoeger air, franchi ext. and I can vouch for the smoother action. I actually preferred it over the 870 my buddy has.
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:07 am

I'm thought Harrington an Richardson were parnered through marlin firearms... I think the link to H&R from the marlin website supports that.
They are but a few years ago Remington (technically the Freedom Group) bought Marlin.

I read once that the 870 is OK to clone due to the fact the patent is long expired.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby killingtime » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:44 am

ill tellu this the more i shoot this gun the better it get,s. also mossy, choke,s fit. it we just got a 20 syn,black,for one of the girl,s for teal .pattern,s nice with mod,real tight with full,real tight. think she has a turky gun in that .i will say this both were a bit rough,out of the box .maybe not the way to do it but put korw oil on bolt,s n mech, ran 4-5 box,s 71/2 low brass stuff got em home did the green scrubber polish in the chamber and a good clean. now pretty dam nice,still say lil heavy, but u usen 3 ,s seems to help recoil
killingtime
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:11 pm

I have still yet to shoot one but other than the one complaint of being too heavy, I have not found any negative thoughts about this gun. I shoot a 10ga on a regular basis, so I am sure its weight wont be noticeable to me. At 6.51 lbs empty, it weighes no more than a 870. I really dont understand all the complaints about it being too heavy.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby waterrat2 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:03 pm

I have one that I won at a Delta Waterfowl Dinner. It is an 870 clone made in China, Mine is a 28 in Bbl, 3 in chamber in Camo and synthetic. It works flawlessly. It has been my guest gun and has seen alot of use.. It is a bit heavier than a Wing, but not much. The only drawback is it that it takes Mobile Chokes, other that that is is great. I rate the quality on the Rem scale, better than an Express, not quite a Wing Master.

If you can get one, you will not be disappointed.
waterrat2
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:08 pm

Mine is 28" camo as well only it takes invector chokes.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby waterrat2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:13 am

Chris, you may be right, I am confused with another gun.
waterrat2
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:29 pm

Of all the various pumps I have used for shooting steel shot, a few I would put on a pedistal as being the best there is. These are the BPS10, BPS12, Weatherby model 92 and 870 Wingmaster. The ones that fall short are the Weatherby Patrician, Benelli Nova, 835 Mossy, 500 Mossy, mod, 91 Mavrick, Weatherby PA-08, Win 1300 and Rem 870 Express. Now, the H&R 1871 is at the top of my list. Only time will tell if I change my mind.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum