1187 choke selection?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

1187 choke selection?

Postby Columbia Basin Local » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Wanted to hear from guys that shoot one or something similar. Just picked a NIB Sportsman for $540, tax included out the door! I thought it was a great deal. I have always liked the way i shot my 870 and this has more weight where i want it. It's solid and simple. I haven't tested a PM choke or one like it on my 870. Just a Carlsons ext IM. Does well. Anybody get any better patterns from a more expensive choke?
"We're calling, because the birds won't respond to texts."- Jim Ronquest, RNT-V
Columbia Basin, home of the sagebrush duck blind!
Columbia Basin Local
hunter

Re: 1187 choke selection?

Postby flyndutchman » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:17 pm

Kick's HF mod and ic on my 1187 Premier with light countour barrel. Did a lot of patterning last summer with the Mod. The most even consistent patterns of my chokes. They shoot tighter than their measured constriction would lead you to believe. The mod is too tight for in your face (25yd or less) decoyed birds. Haven't put the IC on paper yet but it performed very well in the field at the last of the previous season. We got good at decoying divers and had to open up our chokes to keep from destroying birds.
flyndutchman
hunter

Re: 1187 choke selection?

Postby z51 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:33 am

I would stick with the Carlson IM, it is hard too beat. Play with different loads. I like factory 3" #3's at 1550. BTW, I have shot my 11-87 since 1988.
z51
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum