SX3 chokes...

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

SX3 chokes...

Postby no3topqb » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:24 pm

I just bought a new sx3 this morning. Traded in a versamax that I just never could get the feel for. My question is besides pattern master, what ate some good chokes? I'm meaning towards the kicks high flyers, but just want someone else's opinion... majority of my duck hunting is in flooded timber with 40 yard shots bring the max...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
no3topqb
hunter

Re: SX3 chokes...

Postby gooseman1 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:19 pm

I have the same gun!! I went through the choke game!! Buy the Hevi shot MR (mid range) and don't waste your money on everything else!! It patterns all steel VERY well!! ESPCIALLY Hevi Metal!!! Good luck!
gooseman1
hunter

Postby sketch21 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:50 pm

Every gun will pattern different! There's not really an easy answer, except take the time and $ to see whats best for your setup.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
sketch21
hunter

Postby z51 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Actually the Invector + modified should do just fine. I mostly hunt the same conditions as you. I use a factory MOD on those days where they just won't work right and land off the decoys. Most of the time IC is fine. I see no need for a special choke.
z51
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:25 pm

Grand passage choke from browning is actually made by briley . extended choke has good looking camo. Buy it in light modified and it will be the only choke you ever need to have. I have it in my super x2 and it stays in from dove till late season goose. Choke eats every steel shell you throw in it. You can find the briley x2 extended chokes in the low $30 range. Light mod all year and throw in an improved mod choke for snow goose and coyote and turkey. Only 2 choke you will ever need. You look at the nationals in skeet and sporting clays and every gun has briley extended tubes in it except for the guys pro staffing for some other company who get a check
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:46 pm

z51 wrote:Actually the Invector + modified should do just fine. I mostly hunt the same conditions as you. I use a factory MOD on those days where they just won't work right and land off the decoys. Most of the time IC is fine. I see no need for a special choke.

:ditto: Inv+ is a pretty good choke system. My BPS 12 and my dad's SX3 both have the factory modified in it...does fine out to 45 yards or so.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby TEN GAUGE BBB » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:39 am

I agree. I would start with your factory chokes. I think you may be surprised how well they pattern. If you need to fine tune the pattern then start looking at after market chokes. This might save you a lot of cash. Inside 40 yards the factory chokes will work. I could not get good patterns with the Pattern Master choke tube in my SX3 or my Maxus with loads going over 1400 fps.
TEN GAUGE BBB
hunter

Postby blackduck_killer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:20 am

I'll jump on the love for Invector + chokes as well. My Browning Silver Hunter and Winchester SXP both throw good patterns with all their factory chokes. I use modified for all my waterfowling except on exceptionally foggy mornings.
blackduck_killer
hunter

Postby NeverFail » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:47 am

I have the same gun. I went through the choke game. Buy the Carlson's Blindside ext tube MR(mid range) and try that first. It patterns all steel VERY well, even Hevi Metal! My favorite shell for this combination is Kent Faststeel 1 1/4oz
#1 at 1425 fps. I get 110 pellets in a 30" circle at 40 yards and 85 at 50 yards. I use this setup for all geese and ducks except teal. I tried blindside and Hevi Metal. They both patterned great but lacked the knockdown power I was looking for. The 1's just work great for me with this combination. Mark
NeverFail
hunter

Postby no3topqb » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks for all the input. I'm probably just gonna leave the inv+ in for now. I had a pm in a x2 and it was great on big steel like bb, but in timber with 2s and 4s it was a different story. I can ho early say that I lime this sx3 a whole lot more than that versamax and I ain't even pulled the trigger yet!! :lol:

no3topqb
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:39 am

no3topqb wrote: I can ho early say that I lime this sx3 a whole lot more than that versamax and I ain't even pulled the trigger yet!!

Ooookaaaayyyyy......
mudpack
hunter

Postby no3topqb » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:26 am

Should have been "honestly say" ... stupid smart phone...:x

no3topqb
hunter

Postby no3topqb » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:49 pm

so i've been snooping on the net and other forums and have seen several people are liking the Briley dove duster. Not a bad price either. Like I said most of my hunting will be in flooded timber, but there will be an opportunity to hunt flooded rice fields in MO... Dove season opens up in a couple weeks, then early season teal in a month. Guess I need to get busy patterning the factory chokes and go from there. Thanks again for all the input and suggestions. Keep em coming!! :thumbsup:
no3topqb
hunter

Postby Goose Getter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:11 pm

If you aren't happy with the factory chokes go Briley first! I haven't patterned the light mod yet, but I really like the pattern with #2's out of my mod.
Goose Getter
hunter

Postby waterrat2 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:53 pm

I run the same gun. And have been using Carlson Extended Sporting Clay. In both I/C ported and non ported, and LM non ported.
We run a bunch of handloads that run pretty fast 1600 fps plus. On the odd chance we encounter an issue, it is usually in the choke. With the extended choke, you have lots of play to engage a pipe wrench.

My go to load is RSI 65+1 in 2 3/4 B's. But when I use factory, it's Kent 2 3/4 or 3", 1 1/8 of 1's. I have bought into the speed kills theory, and spend lots of time putting it on paper to make sure. We hunt mainly Canada Geese in Ontario, Canada, and have never had a problem putting them on the ground due to shells and chokes. I had to switch to the I/C choke because the LM was way to tight under 45 meters. All I can say is try to borrow a few from buddies, and pattern the loads/choke. Every gun will be different, even if it is same make and model.
waterrat2
hunter

Postby no3topqb » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Well I'm going to try to make it to the range before work wed afternoon. Think I'm just gonna see how the mod inv+ works on some clays to get ready for dove season. And I'm going to set up a pattern board next week to test out some leftover rounds from last year. Thanks again for all the help.

no3topqb
hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:21 am

Thread postings on "best" chokes can lead to days of reading...! and usually lead to spending money ! Not a bad thing, if you can afford it, but not always necessary.
Lots of great advice already posted from fellows in the know. Use the best quality ammo you can afford and your factory mod should do all you need it to do. :thumbsup:
23yearsago
hunter

Postby creole » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:13 pm

I have the kicks high flyer full in my superx3
creole
hunter

Postby TXWATERFOWL11 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:48 pm

creole wrote:I have the kicks high flyer full in my superx3

How do you like it?
TXWATERFOWL11
Newb

Postby no3topqb » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:34 pm

I was thinkin about the kicks HF, but prob I would go with the mod choke. I'm an average shot at best plus with 20-30 yard shots being the norm, I think the mod would better suit my needs. Either kicks or briley... may just wait and see how the factory mod does.

no3topqb
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:29 am

Investor plus chokes are real hit or miss with steel shot I've never had any luck with them but a hunting buddy has never taken out the factory mod out of his browning gold and that thing patterns great with every load he has run. I have owned and liked the kicks high flyer but was able to edge it out with a briley spectrum. The kicks HF is true for steel so mod is true mod with steel and ic if your running lead. I wish kicks made a high flyer improved mod. And light mod I might stray from briley if they did
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby creole » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:18 pm

TXWATERFOWL11 wrote:

How do you like it?

I love it,never coming out the gun
creole
hunter

Postby TXWATERFOWL11 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:33 pm

creole wrote:
TXWATERFOWL11 wrote:

How do you like it?

Thats good to hear, I am about to purchase a sx3 and I was wondering how a kicks HF full choke would do out of it. What kind of shells are you shooting? Or what has patterned better out of your gun? I know all guns are different but I am just curious!
TXWATERFOWL11
Newb

Postby creole » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:44 pm

TXWATERFOWL11 wrote:
creole wrote:
TXWATERFOWL11 wrote:

How do you like it?

Thats good to hear, I am about to purchase a sx3 and I was wondering how a kicks HF full choke would do out of it. What kind of shells are you shooting? Or what has patterned better out of your gun? I know all guns are different but I am just curious!

I shoot kent 3inch 11/8 ounce #3s at 1560fps awesome performance from 10yds to 50.
creole
hunter

Postby TXWATERFOWL11 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:47 pm

Thanks man I appreciate you getting back with me! :thumbsup:
TXWATERFOWL11
Newb

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum