12 gauge or 20?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

12 gauge or 20?

Postby kgrant » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:58 pm

Howdy I just need some advice about what gauge or gun I should pick up for my wife. she has some short arms so finding a right fit Is tough and also I have had here shoot both 12 and 20's the problem with the 12's is there too long and believe it or not the 20 ga's we have shot have kicked her harder then the 12 . any advice about models gagues etc wouod be very grateful I want her to enjoy shooting and being in the blind with me not dreading the recoil and shooting.
Respectfully Grant
Last edited by kgrant on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kgrant
hunter

Re: 1 gauge or 20?

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:13 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Art Vandelay on Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
There is no unity in "diversity"

Member NRA
Member Ducks Unlimited
Art Vandelay
hunter

Postby JustStartin' » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:19 pm

You better check the regs in your area because in Indiana unfortunately we can't hunt with anything bigger than a 10 gauge
JustStartin'
hunter

Postby kgrant » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:A 1 gauge would kick pretty hard., besides the shells would cost a fortune, if you could find any.

lmao I ment to 12 gauge whops. :lol:
kgrant
hunter

Re: 12 gauge or 20?

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:46 pm

I have a Beretta 390 20 gauge. It has a spacer you can take out to make the gun longer or shorter. I have a Sims Limbsaver recoil pad on it. Softest shooting gun I have ever shot. If you need something soft shooting for her you want a gas auto. I recommend the Beretta, but look for a gas gun.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:32 pm

Grant,
To me other factors are more important than gauge. Fit, both LOP and drop. Weight helps negate felt recoil. Also action type. Gas actions spread recoil over time lessening the sharp recoil sensation. You can get light 12 gauge loads. For a woman I would try to find a gas auto under 7 pounds, that will handle light loads, that feels "right" to her.
z51
hunter

Postby kgrant » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:43 pm

Thanks Z ill start from that point. any suggestions on models in a moderate price range ?
kgrant
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:22 pm

H & R imports a gas auto from turkey called an Excell and they take the Rem chokes. The turks eliminated all the problems the 1100's had but it still uses an 0 ring seal which I buy for about $ 1.50 a dozen and just replace them every year. I own one and it has worked perfectly. It has a nice recoil pad and recoil doesn't bother me. I shoot alot of 7/8 and 1 oz loads. The Length Of Pull, LOP, is 14 1/4" and I have short arms. It costs $300 at the Academy. Make sure it fits if not buy a youth gun which has to be another brand or buy one with a Wood stock and cut it down. Ned S the young 84 yr old.
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby kgrant » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:53 pm

I just measured my wife's LOP, and its about 13 inches .
kgrant
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:16 pm

Jon Bergren wrote:H & R imports a gas auto from turkey called an Excell and they take the Rem chokes. The turks eliminated all the problems the 1100's had but it still uses an 0 ring seal.

The O-ring WAS the problem with the 1100's.

Jon Bergren wrote:...... recoil doesn't bother me. I shoot alot of 7/8 and 1 oz loads.

Well, that explains why recoil isn't a problem for you.

To the OP; if you're going to buy a new shotgun, might as well get a good quality gun. Stay away from the Turkish and Russian guns unless your budget is so tight you shouldn't be duck hunting anyway. :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby kgrant » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:30 pm

To the OP; if you're going to buy a new shotgun, might as well get a good quality gun. Stay away from the Turkish and Russian guns unless your budget is so tight you shouldn't be duck hunting anyway. :biggrin:[/quote]

I just got marred im too broke to duck hunt anyway.jk lol :lol3: haha yeah I'm on a budget but not that small. I Don't Want to buy imported if I don't have too.
kgrant
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:45 pm

You might want to check the Weartherby SA-08. I have been shooting one for the last two years and am happy with it. They make a youth model 3" 20 gauge. It is made in Turkey ( ignore the snobs) but is backed by Weatherbys excellent customer service and uses standard Invector chokes. Street price is under $500. You may have to tweak the LOP.

http://www.weatherby.com

Don't know what you mean by "imported" most Browning, Winchester, and Beretta, and Benellis are imported.
z51
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:17 pm

z51 wrote:You might want to check the Weartherby SA-08. I have been shooting one for the last two years and am happy with it. They make a youth model 3" 20 gauge. It is made in Turkey ( ignore the snobs) but is backed by Weatherbys excellent customer service and uses standard Invector chokes. Street price is under $500. You may have to tweak the LOP.

Don't know what you mean by "imported" most Browning, Winchester, and Beretta, and Benellis are imported.

im sure they mean a non- quality " import "... Like turkish, and chinese guns. The ones with cheap quality issues.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:

"Parents aren't the only ones who raise you, there's still public school and DHC"
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:27 pm

My buddy shoots the remington 870 20ga pump. Its quite a bit smaller than his brothers 12 ga. version. Might fit your wife perfectly. The website says 411.00$ but a local gun shop could be 50 or 60 bucks cheaper. Plus, its american ;D
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:

"Parents aren't the only ones who raise you, there's still public school and DHC"
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:56 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:I have a Beretta 390 20 gauge. It has a spacer you can take out to make the gun longer or shorter. I have a Sims Limbsaver recoil pad on it. Softest shooting gun I have ever shot. If you need something soft shooting for her you want a gas auto. I recommend the Beretta, but look for a gas gun.

:ditto: Get something that comes with shims and spacers, or allows you to adjust the length of pull reasonably.
The Nova pump I had (original version) was not adjustable for either, unless I bought a $100 recoil pad. At that point, I just sold the gun and bought an automatic with spacers and shims. Of course, that's because I have a 6'2" armspan, complete opposite of your wife's dilemma.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby kgrant » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:40 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:
z51 wrote:You might want to check the Weartherby SA-08. I have been shooting one for the last two years and am happy with it. They make a youth model 3" 20 gauge. It is made in Turkey ( ignore the snobs) but is backed by Weatherbys excellent customer service and uses standard Invector chokes. Street price is under $500. You may have to tweak the LOP.

im sure they mean a non- quality " import "... Like turkish, and chinese guns. The ones with cheap quality issues.

That is what I mean by import the Chinese brazil side of things . some Turkish guns aren't bad at all like the Sxp I shoot I love . so far I have found a Mossberg 500 super batam that fits her good without having to mod it comes with spacers to adjust lop. I am just worried about the recoil and muzzle jump from how light and short the barrel is . the Weatherby is sweet.
kgrant
hunter

Postby cootlover » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:00 pm

I am not sure if a 20 gauge will kill a duck :huh:
cootlover
hunter

Postby kgrant » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:16 pm

cootlover wrote:I am not sure if a 20 gauge will kill a duck :huh:

Hahaha coot. Have you ever tried ?
kgrant
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:24 pm

kgrant wrote:
DuckManClyde wrote:

That is what I mean by import the Chinese brazil side of things . some Turkish guns aren't bad at all like the Sxp I shoot I love . so far I have found a Mossberg 500 super batam that fits her good without having to mod it comes with spacers to adjust lop. I am just worried about the recoil and muzzle jump from how light and short the barrel is . the Weatherby is sweet.

Some brazilians aint so bad, i bought two stoegers last year. They work just fine

DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby kgrant » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:25 pm

Stoegers are great I didn't know they were importated out of brazil whwat are they 3500?
kgrant
hunter

Postby Windrider » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:17 pm

My Browning Silver 20ga has been preferred over either a Beretta youth model or an 11-87 youth model by young shooters.

7/8 ounce loads for target shooting and 1 ounce loads for hunting.
Windrider
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:51 pm

mudpack wrote:
Jon Bergren wrote:H & R imports a gas auto from turkey called an Excell and they take the Rem chokes. The turks eliminated all the problems the 1100's had but it still uses an 0 ring seal.

The O-ring WAS the problem with the 1100's.

Jon Bergren wrote:...... recoil doesn't bother me. I shoot alot of 7/8 and 1 oz loads.

Well, that explains why recoil isn't a problem for you.

To the OP; if you're going to buy a new shotgun, might as well get a good quality gun. Stay away from the Turkish and Russian guns unless your budget is so tight you shouldn't be duck hunting anyway. :biggrin:

Never had a problem with 0 rings and the two 1100's. Shot them off and on for about 30 yrs. They still work fine. I use hi temp 0 rings and just put a new one in every year. Also you have never seen a Excell let alone shoot one. Reports that I got when I first bought mine was that trap shooters had shot 1200 shells thru them with out a hitch. That's why I bought mine. You have to be smarter than the guns you use. I will use my $180 Condor dove season and the Excell this year. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:33 pm

It won't with you behind the trigger so don't waste your time trying :tongue:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby kgrant » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:57 pm

hamernhonkers wrote:

It won't with you behind the trigger so don't waste your time trying :tongue:

that made me laugh so hard. :lol: :lol:
I will have to look into the excel.
kgrant
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:08 am

kgrant wrote:Stoegers are great I didn't know they were importated out of brazil whwat are they 3500?

No ive heard too many things about that 3500, (but im sure if ned bought one itd work flawlessly) I bought the condor and the longfowler, one for trap, one for duck season. Never was an O/U guy untill i bought these. Theyre Great!

DuckManClyde
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum