Versamax 12 and a400 20ga

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Versamax 12 and a400 20ga

Postby hamernhonkers » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:11 am

We have had a pretty good month so far at my home with the addition of two new shotguns. On the first my wife picked out a a400 xplor 20 ga and just last week I picked up a new versamax sportsmen.

What has been interesting is what has happened out of the box with these guns. First day home with the a400 I took the wife out and threw her a few clay's before dark, the gun cycled the loads just fine but they would only just barley clear the chamber. Day two went back out and let her shoot some more as I am trying to get her ready for the dove hunt with her new gun and she had nothing but jam after jam. I even had a box of federal 7/8 oz 3 shot 3" shells with me and tried shooting those but about every 2nd or 3rd round would not clear the chamber.

I was thinking that I must have missed something when cleaning it up the first day she got if so I tore it down again that night and gave it another good cleaning and posted on another forum to see if anyone else may have had issues with the guns not cycling. I also called beretta the next morning asking about the gas port having two holes but only one drilled all the way through into the barrel. I was told by beretta that it was the way it was designed and that the gun needed to be broke in. While after the call I grabbed a box of kent faststeel and a box of low bass loads and went and tried it again. After shooting half a box of kents I started mixing in some low base loads and the gun started cycling them just fine. I finished putting the box of kents through it and the rest of the low base lead shells with only one shell failing to eject.

Fast forward to last Wednesday where I purchased a new versamax. With my new purchase and a lot of time to play this week my wife and I have been out to our farm almost every night for since then, her with her new a400 and me with the versamax.

The first night I ran another box of kents through her gun just to make sure it was broke in like beretta had told me it needed to be. She shot about a box of low base lead loads with out a glitch. The versamax cycled every load I put through it with out a hiccup including some light 1 oz reloads.

Night two it started happening again with the a400, she was getting a jam about shell about every 4th or 5th shot and the versamax cycled everything just fine.

Night 3 and after a very deep cleaning of the a400 and another half a box of kents the a400 cycled everything just fine and the versamax once again not one issue. Even patterned a few 3 1/2" shells just to see how they looked on paper and what the felt recoil was like.

Nights 4 and 5 have been more of the same. The versamax has cycled every shell I have feed it and the a400 seems to finally be broke in with only a couple more shells failing to eject here and there.

The reason I am posting this is because it is interesting that one of the fabled B guns is giving me so much grief right out of the box and the piece of crap Remington has been just fine out of the box and handling any load put through it.......This of course is not a long term review or really a great test of guns but it sure is funny to me that a $1400 B gun is having the issues right out of the box and the $800 Remington is preforming like advertised to this point. I can't wait to see how these guns hold up down the road.
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Re: Versamax 12 and a400 20ga

Postby cootlover » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:26 pm

First off you bought the wrong B gun you should have got a M2 :yes:
cootlover
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:54 pm

The problem comes into play when these issues arise on a good hunt and ruin it for her. That is if her confidence in the gun is still there to begin with. Better carry a backup gun for her. Or buy her a versamax too........lol.
POKER1
hunter

Postby The Drake » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:27 pm

These Versamax's are the real deal......
The Drake
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:24 pm

HH I've had similar experiences with B guns, not just Beretta... The only one I've had mild success with is Benelli and I'm not sold on them either, especially for the price! Guess I just wasn't cut out for B guns. I'll stick with Big Green. The very few problems I've had with Rems, have been simple fixes. My Versamax has been flawless as well, much like my three 870"s and my 1100.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:46 pm

bought a 20ga urika and had some similar issues with it during the 1st 50 rounds of light lead. took her home, gave it a good cleaning and made sure it was oiled properly and haven't had an issue since. we will see when dove opens in a few weeks here in Missouri how it fairs. in reference to the poster about the M2...i have a 20ga M2 and it still needed the "break in" period. both are very nice guns.

i hope the a400 quits giving you trouble. it is a nice piece, it just needs to start acting like it.
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby Uncle Jesse » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:30 am

How does the A400 compare to the 20 gauge SX3 in recoil?

I shot an A400 Xtreme last season but already sold it. It cycled everything including 7/8 ounce loads at 1200 FPS which is probably what you're have trouble with in your 20 gauge :lol3:
Jesus Saves
Uncle Jesse
hunter

Postby deliriousII » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:21 am

POKER1 wrote:The problem comes into play when these issues arise on a good hunt and ruin it for her. That is if her confidence in the gun is still there to begin with. Better carry a backup gun for her. Or buy her a versamax too........lol.

Agree on this bigtime!! Last season I was having problem after problem with the gun I used and it led to me being frustrated during every hunt and not concentrating on my shots....sold the gun after the last hunt of the season! Not being able to focus because of worrying about the gun really distracted me
quack addict
deliriousII
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:50 am

I think we will get the gun broke in and all will be fine. But just in case we have problems still and send it in under the warranty, she has plenty other guns to choose from and claim as her own :(

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:53 pm

Uncle Jesse wrote:How does the A400 compare to the 20 gauge SX3 in recoil?

I shot an A400 Xtreme last season but already sold it. It cycled everything including 7/8 ounce loads at 1200 FPS which is probably what you're have trouble with in your 20 gauge :lol3:

Its just a tad more on the felt end to me, but the gun is set up cast off and I am a left handed shooter so I was catching a bit more to my cheek with light loads and then the kents, I really felt them on the face compared to my sx3 which of course is cast on.

The gun is a lb or so lighter so more recoil should be expected.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Hello

David wrote:
hamernhonkers
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum