Waterfowl and Upland ...... Shotgun help

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Waterfowl and Upland ...... Shotgun help

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:10 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:Those of us that use 20ga do so because WE CAN, those who use 12 ga do so because THEY CAN"T.....................LOL

I'd say that it's the revers, those that can't shoot the 20. Here's why. There is no question that a 12ga has a much greater payload than a 20ga. Since patterns bloom from the center out and range is determined by the rate of decay of that bloom (read payload), choke for choke, with any given shot size and material, the 12ga will have greater range. Since it is much more difficult to hit targets at 50 yards than 30, those that CAN choose a 12ga.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:20 pm

As an owner of four Red Labels, I can tell you they do not make ideal waterfowl guns; they are just too light.
As an owner of three 20 ga guns that I love, I can tell you that if you want the most versatile waterfowl gun, you'll get a 12 ga.
As an owner of O/U's, pumps, and autoloaders, I can tell you that I haven't used anything but an autoloader for waterfowl in about ten years, for several very good reasons.

With all that in mind, my suggestion is to look at a modern (new or used) gas-operated 12 gauge autoloader. If you get it in camo finish, that will be a plus.
mudpack
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:58 am

Mud I have a ruger all weather and if I didn't have a messed up back I would love to hunt with it not because its a 12 gauge but it just fits me good I love how it swings. Cant wait doves on Monday and that means ducks are not that far away :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:49 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:Those of us that use 20ga do so because WE CAN, those who use 12 ga do so because THEY CAN"T.....................LOL

Ya no....20 gauges are good for ducks in decoying distances. Geese are a tough bird to kill and you owe it to them to give them a humane way to the dinner table. 12 gauges can be loaded down to a 20 gauge with light loads and hit like a 10 gauge with 3 1/2 inch magnums. I have cycled everything through my benelli super vinci and use it as a duck, turkey, goose, dove, squirrel, pheasant, you name it gun. 12 gauges are the way to go in this situation.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:33 pm

Mud I was lucky enough to get a good buy an a Red Label Sporting Clays in 20 ga several years ago. It is a excellent duck gun and with HeviShot goose too. That extra 2" on it makes all the difference in the world. HOWEVER I shoot a 12 Semiauto 90% of the time by choice and am a better shot for it. Fifty years ago I shot a 20 ga sxs with # 5 & 6 shot ,sometimes even 7.5's cause that's all I had thru imp/cyl & mod tubes and did fine.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:02 pm

Buy yourself a 12 ga auto. Gas or inertia, doesnt matter if you don't plan to shoot 3.5's.

If you want you can load up some 7/8oz loads and shoot upland/doves like a 20, only with a better pattern usually. But you also have the option of hundreds of different waterfowl loads, you can load a 1oz #4 load and pretend you have a 20 gauge or you can shoot 1 3/8 #BB and kill some geese. The options are endless.
As for weight, there are several guns in the 7lb range that make great duck guns but are also light enough to carry for upland. If you only put 3 shells in it for upland it won't weigh you down too much.

Don't back yourself into a corner with a 20. Buy the 12 and then save up and buy a 20 if you feel like it down the road.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum