A little help all opinions will help

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

A little help all opinions will help

Postby CodyB » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:44 pm

First off let me state im new to the duck hunting Scene. Ive gone three times and had so much fun i thought hard about selling all of my deer hunting stuff to buy all duck stuff.
Ok so with that being said this year ive slowly bought decoys waders ect... and a Browning bps 12gauge pump shotgun shoot anywhere from two and three quarter up to 3 inch shells. Now my question to you all is. With this gun what shell size & shot size & choke combos do yall recommend? Im hunting in Brinkly Ar in flooded rice fields. Price on chokes or shells does not matter if its worth it ill buy it. Also the birds last yr did not fly closer then 10yards or further then 45yards so longs shots are not a big deal. Mainly into ducks not geese. Thanks for tge help
CodyB
Newb

Re: A little help all opinions will help

Postby BurninPowder » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:36 pm

Don't have particular experience with the BPS but I'd be willing to bet that using the factory Mod. or IC and some common 2s or 3s you should be able to take all the duck you like. Take a few boxes of different shotgun shells and both chokes, spend some at the pattern board and even more importantly at the clays course (with some less expensive light loads). With any luck the birds will be floating! :thumbsup:
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby :-) » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:42 pm

I shoot 3's with a modified choke...always works for me. Also, carry a few BBB's or T's just on the incase...it sucks to miss out on an opportunity to shoot at geese.

Happy Hunting!
:-)
hunter

Postby clayshooterandy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:24 pm

3" #3 great all around duck load through a Briley Spectrum LM choke. You will love it. :thumbsup:
clayshooterandy
hunter

Postby CodyB » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:39 pm

Seems like the common factor fir everyone ive talked to (on here or there) the 3inch shells are a good all around shell and ive actually been looking at other threads and the briley chokes are held with high standards
CodyB
Newb

Postby z51 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:58 am

First of all welcome Cody. Since you are in the middle of " duck heaven" you should have lots of birds. I hunt that area a lot from around Clarendon to the north end of Dagmar. Had a club near Peppers Eddy for years.

As far as loads if your max range is 45 yards you don't need any special chokes. You factory Invector IC and MOD are very good. On shells if I could use just one steel load it would Remington Nitro Steel 3" 1 1/4 ounce in #2 shot at 1450 fps. Made in Lonoke Arkansas.

Good luck, it should be a good year if we can get some cold weather!
Last edited by z51 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
z51
hunter

Postby CodyB » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:42 am

Thank you very much. Yes plenty of birds last yr all the time i went so this yr im going to make sure if i havent filled it that day its not going to fly away. Hints all my questions im planning on going to pattern the gun and brush up on my leading skill sometime within the next two weeks so a box of the remington nitro 3" #2 are on tge list to cgeck out in the board. Thanks for all the input
CodyB
Newb

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:34 pm

My favorite 3" set up for my bps is Kent 1 1/8th oz of #2's through the factory modified tube. If I were a better shot I would use the browning improved modified tube.
clampdaddy
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum