Mossberg 500 tell me what u think

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Mossberg 500 tell me what u think

Postby thegunman » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:43 pm

I just got a mossberg 500 for Xmas and wanted to know what u thought about that gun haven't had a ton of experience please tell me if it is a good solid gun thanks
thegunman
Newb

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:51 pm

I have limited experience with them. It'll work. If it was free, then I can't complain. I am getting a new 870 express 20 gauge to turn into the best turkey gun ever for college graduation from my parents.

What part of Kansas are u from?
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:47 am

good gun. i haven't shot the 500, but i did hunt with an 835 for 2 seasons. i abused that gun. rarely cleaned it, usually got tossed around the bottom of the boat (unloaded) and gear would eventually get piled on it...wet muddy dogs would sleep on it..and yet if fired everytime i pulled the trigger. :thumbsup: i did have a problem with the ejector screw falling out occasionally.

open the action and look in..the screw you see is the ejector screw. i would check it every time you clean your gun to make sure it is tight. the problem with mine was that the hole for the screw was slightly out of round. factory defect. my gunsmith was even surprised that i had that much trouble with it..as far as he knew mine was the only one he had ever seen with that problem. so don't be worried about it.

congrats on the gun. is it your first? i think you are going to love it.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:09 am

I use one for all my waterfowling for now. It works just fine. I just put a camo paint job on it and am getting a patternmaster for it. The pump action is a little sloppy IMO. But I have had not problem killing waterfowl with it and it has yet to give me a problem.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

mossberg 500

Postby jagerduck » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:29 am

The mossberg 500 is a good gun from what i can tell. My hunting buddy hunted the past few seasons with his and has not had a single problem with it. Don't let others tell you different. I have a new 835 and it had a few problems in the beginning but it kills ducks like no other now. Just some friendly advice, before you hunt with it break it completely down and clean and oil every part and wall you can reach. THis will make a world of difference in the field. Good luck.
If it flies it dies and if it hops it drops!
jagerduck
hunter

Postby thegunman » Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:24 am

thanks guys for all the advice I received and if you got any other coments I would apriceiate them
thegunman
Newb

Return to Shotgun Forum