How many of you that bash Mossberg have actually owned one?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

How many of you that bash Mossberg have actually owned one?

Postby DuckEraser » Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:55 am

Just for curiousity's sake,
How many of you same guys that bash Mossberg shotguns every single time someone asks about them have actaully owned one? I mean each and every single time someone asks a question about a mossberg, there are many,many people that say "oh sell that piece of *&*%, or I would never be caught dead with those unreliable pieces of metal" Are you guys that are so down on Mossberg speaking from experience of actually owning one for a season or two, or are you just of the mind set that you have to spend several hundreds or even thousands of dollars on something for it to be good and since Mossbergs are inexpensive to obtain and have relatively few moving parts to break or jam, they cannot possibly be any good? I have owned the same Mossberg 835 for over ten years now and I hate to see it go now that I am in the market for a new mossberg( Which will be a new Mossberg!!!) and it has never once failed me. Not ONCE! And I hate to even imagine how many hundreds of boxes of 2 3/4 - 3 1/2 shells I have cycled thru this one.
Just wondering.. Are you talking from experience or just blowing smoke on something you truly don't know that much about?
Sorry for the long windedness and if I ruffle any feathers, just hate to think that someone would ask for an honest opinion on something they could afford, and be told no to buy something quadruple the price (SBE and the like) just because someone is basing their negative response on heresay. :help:
DuckEraser
DuckEraser
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:51 am

I used a mossturd for 1.5 years until I could get an 870. Shot half the time. Was the biggest piece of poop I ever used. I didn't buy it thank good, just one that my buddy never shot that he let me use so I wouldn't ruin my dad's wingmaster.

Best gun out there is the 870 pump. I am actually getting one in a couple weeks.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:49 pm

i owned an 835 for the last 2 seasons. though i don't actually "bash" them per say....i do take the occasional opportunity to make a joke or two at Mossy's expense. i finally sold the old piece of lumber for a stylish Benelli Nova. shooting that Benelli is like driving a sportscar...as compared to the "dump truck" mossberg. however, like the dump truck, the mossberg will take just about anything you give it and keep on rolling.

(fwi - at 2 other forums that i have belonged to for awhile now, i go by the screen name of "Mossberg_3.5"...so i get my fair share of abuse. lol. )
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby texas_quackwakker » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:12 pm

I agree with swamp puppy...the first shotgun I could afford was a mossberg. Hey, it was heavy as hell, the fit and finish looked like something a beginning carpenter that did not speak english put together and the action was sloppy as Alaska muskeg.

But......it ALWAYS DID TWO THINGS.....SHOOT AND EJECT.

For the $200.00 bucks I spent, I didnt mind. I own 2 Benellis now (a nova pump and an SBE first generation) and would not trade anything for them.

But wont ever knock a mossy....if buying one gets you in the field instead of saving for another year on a high dollar Browning, Beretta or Benelli then buy a mossberg. I would much rather hunt with a guy with a Mossberg than not have anyone with any shotgun to hunt with....if you own a mossberg...or any shotgun...as long as you are safe...your welcome to hunt with me ANYTIME.
texas_quackwakker
hunter

Postby BENELLIMANKY » Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:15 am

There is, without a doubt a great deal of truth and consistancy in the saying, "you get what you pay for". I have shot several mossbergs, from the cheap ( $$ ) Wal-mart special to the gunshop 935 Auto, YES they work. Are they stylish? no, Are they easy to disassemble and clean (compared to an 870) no. The 25 rounds I put through my buddies 835 all went out the barrel, but when pumping, several times the shell would not eject all the way and it would close the empty back up in the chamber, was I short stroking it? I dont think so. Again, you pay for what you get, you don't see too many ATA (american trap assoc.) shooters with $200 competition guns, more l like $1000 +. Now any experienced waterfowler will tell you that the most vital component a duck hunter can have is a reliable gun. Most people have found that reliablilty in the higher priced guns. ALL GUNS HAVE PROBLEMS, I can introduce you to a hand-full of people who despise Benelli and all gas-ejection systems. Many of us like to aspire to a greater thing, I wouldn't be joking on a Mossy if I knew it would insult someone due to that gun being all they can afford. I've got a $1,000 shotgun and I kill ducks, but for every shot I take there are probably 10 guys out their with 835's and 500's who kill more than me. So my hat is off to anyone that has a great working Mossy, you are luckier than I am. I spent about $800 on a Smith and Wesson semi-auto 12Ga special edition about 10 years ago and it will not eject 2 3/4 shells unless they are high brass, what a waste of money. There sits my beautiful birds eye maple S&W with my checkbook -$800 while you are probably out busting ducks with a $200 Mossy- again, my hat is off to you.

Not to tick you off, but keeping with my dimenor; Mossberg Sucks. hehehe
BENELLIMANKY
hunter

Postby tstrong » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:30 pm

I got my 935 3 weeks ago. I shoot an 870 and a A-5 Browning 3" magnum. My buddy that started me hunting in the 70's shoots nothing but mossberg. I looked at the Bennelli and the Winchester - money wasn't the issue. The 935 is not built as well but has worked perfectly. I do not worry about it in the field either. I've already put it through hell as far as weather conditions. It takes about a half hour to completley take apart and reassemble. Normal cleaning is about 15 minutes. I have run about 150 shells through it, no problem. :
tstrong
hunter

Postby texas_quackwakker » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:57 pm

to hell with it...lets all shoot single shots.
texas_quackwakker
hunter

Postby Novamag » Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:47 am

Had a 500 several years ago when I hunted out of a float tube. Dang thing would relase live shells out the bottom when I pumped it. The gun was inexpensive but I bet I lost 50 bucks in shells.
Perseverance- Doubling your effort when you've lost your aim.

Vegatarian-Old indian word for crappy hunter
Novamag
hunter

Postby Steverinobambino » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:37 am

The 835 Mossberg was the gun my father first bought me when I was 12. I made it thru the first waterfowl season with it until about April. The bolt gave way to 500 rounds of target loads put thru it in a 2 month span when my father was teaching me to shoot trap. After that, I used a 870 Wingmaster to shoot trap and hunt for the next 3 years until I bought a gun solely to shoot clay. As far as the 870, I still use it about every other time I go out hunting or whenever I want a break from the automatic.
Steverinobambino
hunter

Postby drakewoody » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:28 am

This is the first time on this site. I purchased a Mossberg auto 12 guage when I first began ducking hunting with my buddies. I was in college and could not afford anything else.

It was a big mistake for duck hunting. It is an ok gun to use for bunny hunting or upland hunting, but during cold conditions I would not trust it.

I bought a used 1187 a few years back and what a difference. There is no doubt that you get what you pay for.

Does anyone know anything about the new Stoeger 2000. I read an article that said that Stoeger did such a good job of copying the design of the Benelli that they were going to Sue the company but instead bought the company.

What r your thoughts?
drakewoody
Newb

Postby Dan » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:47 am

I currently own a Benelli Nova I recently baught. I have just started duck hunting seriously so i baught a less expensive pump. I apsolutely love the Nova although it takes time to get use to shooting. My cousin on the other hand has hunted for years and all he uses is his mossberg pump from Wall-Mart. i know him very well and have seen how tough he is on gear. this gun has been under water at least 4 times and he hardly cleans it during the season. just adds more oil to the chamber. its been in almost single digit weather also but he kills the hell outta ducks. i've nervr heard him complain about his gun and i've never seen it fail. i believe it just depends on what a guy prefers or how much his budjet is. My cousin could have a much more expensive gun if he wanted but always says "Why get a new gun when I'm mashin' ducks with this one." I agree.
Dan
hunter

Mossberg

Postby MattM1 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:06 pm

I've owned a Mossberg 835 three years now and love it, but I did have my first problem with it just this weekend. It would not shoot Remington nitro-steel 3in. 4 shot! This is the first time I've tried these shells but on every one that misfired the primer was hit by the firing pin and the round did not fire. I put the same misfired shells in my friends OLD 870 express and it shot them. So I put some Federal #2's in my Mossberg and it shot them fine. I'm rather confused about this condition because I've shot many shells of all makes through this gun and never had a problem. I've contacted Remington and am awaiting their response, I may send them the rest of the shells for testing. I really don't know if I have a shotgun problem or got a bad box of shells (I also wonder if the -11 degree weather had anything to do with this). Other than this I've never had a problem and I've shot this gun wet, muddy, and frozen (even without being properly cleaned) with no problems. But I definately have not and will not talk bad about the Mossy they are great guns!
MattM1
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:15 pm

I had an older mosberg 5000 semiauto. It was my very first shotgun. what a piece! It would misfire shells all day long being clean. My buddys 500 pump used to always load the misfired shell back into the chamber also.

For the money, I would shoot a 870 express anyday over a mossberg. Maybe I just had a bad experience, but you will never see another mossberg in my gun cabinet...

I shoot a nova and love it. Some guys have problems with them, I have only shot about 15 boxes through mine and it has never failed. It has been dropped in the water twice, I should probably clean it some day....

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:11 pm

my mossburg jammed and would pump the used shell back in the chamber. my dads newer mossburg hasnt had a problem yet but he doesnt shoot it much.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby plainsman » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:48 pm

When I started hunting, both my uncles used Mossy 500. Neither gun ever had a problem that I ever saw. That's in over 14 yr. of use. I'm retiring my old workhosre and getting a 935. From what I've been seeing elsewhere, seems to be the best value for your $$$$. I'd take it over any Italian noodle anyday. At least customer sevice means something to Mossberg!!!!
Heck, if Mossberg is so low, why did the military and majority of police forces dump Remington in favor of Mossy??? :yes: :yes:
Last edited by plainsman on Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby lonewolf » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:21 pm

My 835 is going on its second year and has had over 2000 rounds go through it. It has killed everything from ducks, geese, dove, quail, phesant, rabbits, and even a wild hog that was in my duck pond. I hunt with a buddy that bought a Nova at the same time and has had just about as many rounds go through it. While my 835 has never had a problem, his Nova will missfire and eject live rounds out of the bottom while cycling the action. He has wasted more money in lost shells this season than I spent on new decoys. I love my gun and it has never failed me, but I do know people who have had problems with their mossbergs. Every gun company will have some bad apples. It may make more sense that because of the price of the Mossberg that there are more in circulation. If there are more out there, then it would be safe to say that there are more bad apples. I currently own four shotguns, a remington 1187, a remington 1100, a beneli super black eagle1, and my Mossberg. If I had to pick a go to gun then the 835 would be it followed by the 1187. To each his own, but I would not put down a manufactuer because of one gun.
Here's to us and those like us, There's damn few of us left.
lonewolf
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:31 pm

Lonewolf,

Just curious as to what load you shot the wild hog with. I have heard those things can be mean as heck. Sorry to get off the subject, but just curious. I have always wanted to go hog hunting. I bet they taste delicious.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby lonewolf » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:51 pm

KS, I shot it in the head with a 3.5 inch number two. The first shot was in the head and that stopped him in his tracks. I put two more in his head from close range for good measure. The first shot was probably at around thirty yards. He was a little over 250 lbs. And yes, they are good eating.
Here's to us and those like us, There's damn few of us left.
lonewolf
hunter

Postby tome » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:38 am

Years ago I had a 500, which i got used..eventualy it broke..i took it to a gun shop & he sent it to mossberg...when i go it back it looked new..parts that were not broken but scrufty were replaced..the cost..nothing but postage..the mossberg people were the greatest.years latter i shoot a sbe..it broke..the gun shop sent it to benelli..mistake..if he had sent it to the dark side of the moon, i could have got it back faster.
tome
hunter

Postby plainsman » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:40 pm

I got what you mean.......Italian = crap. I've heard nothing positive about their customer service !!!!! I just can't understand why anyone would buy Italian guns :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby travo » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:14 pm

i started with a mossberg 20 guage when i was 12, and since then went to a 870 express supermag, a browning A-5,a benelli nova, a winchester 1300 and finally, after sorting through all that crap, ended up with my ideal perfect gun-my MOSSBERG 835 :thumbsup: i never should have left mossberg.
junior member of ODHA,incorrigible
travo
hunter

poopberg shotguns

Postby duckydoo » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:44 pm

For sure, poopberg shotguns live up to it's rep again last Saturday. I was out hunting with a friend last saturday, and he brought along his brand spanking new poopberg 835. Ok incoming, don't move, here they come...ok get em! His first word out of his mouth after the 1st shot was, f**k! then it was the dang shell won't come out. All the while he was fumbling with that hunk of junk, I unloaded all 3 shells out of my Browning gold and pulled off a triple. Down 3 fat green boys. Go fetch em' up Killer! After Killer completed his task with all 3 birds back in the boat, Jerry still on the side of me beat red attempting to get the shell out of his poopberg.
duckydoo
hunter

Postby gilmore1011 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:46 am

Yes I have owned a Mossberg and I didn't have very good luck with it. I had a 500 when it was all I could afford. It jammed more than it should and it had to be sent back for repairs as it had some bad internal parts. I was impressed with the customer service as they did fix it for free. As years went on I went to an 870 that I still own and has been a solid workhorse with no problems. I bought a Benelli SBE in 99 and it has been wonderful. I have not had a single problem with it nor have anyone else I hunt with that has one. The only gripes I hear about them is here or on Goosehuntingchat.com I guess guns are like trucks everyone is opinionated and brand loyal. But I would wager more guys that bash Mossberg have actually owned one at one time than the guys bashing Italian guns.

Like Phil Robertson said "Opinions are like elbows, everybody has a couple".
gilmore1011
hunter

Mossy 835

Postby Web Foot » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:05 am

I had a Nova but it knocked the taste out of my mouth. I just got a Mossy 835 this year. I have only put about 100 target loads through it, but no failures. I like the 10 year warranty too. Hell, for $220, you can't go wrong. :thumbsup:
Web Foot
hunter

Postby tstrong » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:11 am

Dear Duckydoo? Send your buddy my way. I'll take that gun off his hands and he can go and spend 2-3 times as much for a Browning.
tstrong
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum