How many of you that bash Mossberg have actually owned one?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Postby REDLEGGER » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:04 pm

i have alot of different shot guns from remington to winchester but my old moss 835 is what goes to the duck waters with me i have shot the piss out of it and has never fail me untill last year I wrote mossberg aletter and they had me send it to them this gun is 13 yrs old and they replaced everything except stocks free of charge now thats what I call standing behind your equipment. I have been kicking around the idea of 935 auto but would like to know how they are doing in the field if any one has one I would like to know how it is performing for you! shot guns are like car you can get a lemon with anything you buy. :thumbsup:
" take a kid hunting you will never regret it"

" God, FAMILY, HUNTING IN THAT ORDER"
REDLEGGER
hunter

Postby tstrong » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:44 am

I've only had mine for a little over a month. This is my 1st mossy and am very pleased with it. I have a Browning A-5 mag that I use to take but not anymore. I've always kept my A-5 really clean, anytime I went hunting in the rain the 1st thing I did when I got home was break it down and clean it. The folks at Mossberg are great and most of the people I talked with said just clean it after you use it as you would any other auto. It's alot easier to break down than the A-5 too. The A-5 is a nice gun but I never really shot well with it? I shoot the exact same shells and have been killing more ducks. Took both guns skeet shooting and shot about 30% better with the mossy. The mossy just fits me better. Mechanically I have had no problems.
tstrong
hunter

Postby Web Foot » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:41 pm

Still very happy with mine. I shot it some more this weekend.
Web Foot
hunter

Postby O_E_J » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:13 pm

I can not complain about my mossberg- er maverick... yep thats right, the cheapest shotgun produced by mossberg on the market. I paid a whopin 130.00 on sale for it. Guess what, still shoots the same as it did when I bought it. I have shot easily 2,000 rounds through it. Droped it in the mud, let it sit out in the rain and snow, used it to get my butt out of some swamp muck and I have yet to clean it this season. Still works great and I have no second thoughts using it again. Granted the slide is a bit loose but hey it was a 130.00 shotgun. Would I buy another mossberg?? You bet I would... I meant will.
OEJ
O_E_J
hunter

mossberg

Postby goldeneye » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:22 pm

to everyone out there thinking of buying a massy, DON'T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i bought a new mossy 935 and i had nothing but trouble, it would fire the 3.5 shells great, but wouldn't fire the 3 inch at all, i cleaned it nothing, i called mossberg and they wouldn't take responsibility for it, the business i bought it from wouldn't either, so i had a brand new gun that wasn't worth...............????, i bought the gun in sept. just before our season opened and in november i sold the gun for less then half of what i paid for it, i was very very very disappointed in mossberg and anyone out there thinking of buying one, "SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY AND GET A GOOD GUN" i know i will be this year
goldeneye
Newb

Postby tstrong » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:46 pm

:laughing: Hey my 1st shotgun was a pump savage. I was 9 and couldn't even hold the thing up. That gun was handed down to me after many years of shooting clay pigeons, squirrels, crows and whatever else my brothers could find to shoot at. Those knuckle heads could barely spell the the word clean let alone know what it meant. That gun lasted me for 10 years until I ejected a shell one day and it fell apart in my hands. POINT: Savage is one of the cheapest guns out there, but it work great for about 15 years or so. I own Remingtons and Brownings, yes these are quality guns and I worried about them when in the field. I rescently added a mossberg 935 to my collection and love it. I don't need a gunsmith to tear it apart when I find it in the mud. When I have to walk through miles and miles of bushes I don't worry about the scratches. If it doesn't work out get rid of it. What if you drop $1200 bucks on an expensive gun and end up with a lemon too. Which one will hurt more?
tstrong
hunter

Postby goldeneye » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:54 pm

yes i agree but i also had an 835 that wouldn;t eject shells and jam shells, so my point being, mossberg is a big waste of money and if you can afford a better gun them definetly get it, but if not, look at a stoeger or a taaditions, i hear they are good guns for about the same money, i personally wouldn't own another mossberg if it was given to me
goldeneye
Newb

Postby tstrong » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:58 pm

I feel your pain. You got stuck with a lemon. But just for the record if you run across anyone giving them away send'em my way. :salude:
tstrong
hunter

Postby goldeneye » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:07 am

lol i sure will pal
goldeneye
Newb

Postby oldhunter » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:41 pm

goldeneye wrote: look at a stoeger or a taaditions, i hear they are good guns for about the same money, i personally wouldn't own another mossberg if it was given to me

Sounds like hearsay to me, not speaking from personal experiance???
My group shoot several differant high end shotguns while hunting but the two backup guns that we take to the field are a 500 and a 835. Why? They always shoot and we all can hit geese with them when any of our other guns fail.
oldhunter
hunter

Postby goldeneye » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:23 pm

listen i'm speaking from experience, i have an 835 thats only good paddling the boat and i just sold a 935 i bought because it was the biggest pile of **** i ever seen, i only bought the 935 because i heard so much good about them, not only did it not work well, the company said there was nothing they could do for me because the gun couldn't be shipped across the border, so hearsay its not!
goldeneye
Newb

Postby oldhunter » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:40 pm

quote="goldeneye"] look at a stoeger or a taaditions, i hear they are good guns for about the same money

I should have cut the quote down a little further, didn't mean that you had never owned a Mossberg, sorry. Sorry to hear that you got a lemon in the 935 just before the season began, that would make me want to bend the gun around a tree along with the people who made it. Unfortunately all guns are apt to fail under field use, which is why my group carries two backup shotguns when we go on a big goose hunt. We seem to have the most trouble with the autos when it is freezing and snowing at the same time, they will refuse to cycle on the second shot a lot of times. I sold two autos and went back to a pump for that very reason and now my brother-in-law is contemplating the same thing after our last hunt this year. If I was on a very low budget for hunting and all I could afford was a Mossberg, I wouldn't worry the slightest bit about buying one. Every one that I have ever seen shot well, and for as old as I am and all the years that I have hunted, I have seen and hunted next to a lot of them. I had a friend who almost shot me in the back from a 870 that had jammed and went off when he was trying to free it. We still like 870's, but I won't hunt with that friend anymore. oldhunter
oldhunter
hunter

Postby travo » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:33 pm

i have 4 different friends who have traditions autoloaders, and they all say they suck. they kick like a mule. they cant even get rid of em. i shot a few of them, and was not impressed.
junior member of ODHA,incorrigible
travo
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:04 pm

I have owned a 835 for the past few seasons. I took it through two seasons of coastal marsh hunting, saltwater and loooong wet boat rides, my buddies parkerized guns were rusting away like crazy and forming rust on the internals, but my 835 held up. Sure it's a great deal, when I bought it I was looking for something in 3 1/2, and all others I looked at were double the price. It has never jammed, misfired or had any malfunction, and it patterns well to boot. Wanting a little variety, I bought an O/U to give them a try, felt right in the hand and swung well, so this season I used my O/U, I like the option of two chokes to choose from...anyways, I took out a buddy who has NEVER fired a gun in his life, let alone hunted. I let him use my 835 cause he didn't have the money for his own, plus being new to the sport, wasn't sure if he'd like it. Well, he's hooked, for a guy who never shot, we bagged allot of damn ducks this year, sure he missed a few, but overall it was a raging success, and he did it with my 835. My only complaint is the fit, it could be a little tighter, but other than that, regardless of it's price, it's a solid dependable gun. Theres gonna be some lemmons out there in anything you get, but if it doesn't work for you, no need to bag on it. To each his own
shocktroop
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:10 pm

My Mossberg 835 ulti mag has NEVER failed me after 7 years now. What can I say, did I get a good one? For those that hate em, buy something else. When I was in the Marines, 10 years, the shotgun handed to me to kill humans was a Mossberg. We put those Mossy's through hell. I challenge anyone to destroy there $1200 "sports car" like we did and then try and rely on it to save your life or a buddies! All I'm sayin' here folks is if you don't like what the other guy is carrying, don't bash it. He likes it , he can afford it and truthfully he's prob. sick of hearing it! If you carry something else from the truck, you like it and you can afford it......then great lets hunt! :salude:
Last edited by huntmq1 on Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huntmq1
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:13 pm

By the way....my local Wallyworld has a Moss. 835 ultimag...26 inch ported barrel with true glo sights and a turkey choke, gun is in Mossy oak camo for $299 bucks! Beat that! :thumbsup:
huntmq1
hunter

Postby asu72 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:55 pm

Besides the fact that it should have come with a ramrod my 835 is the hardest kicking gun that I've shot.
shoot 'him again!! He's still kickin'!!
asu72
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:05 pm

It lets you know you have a REAL gun in your hands, not some panzy Italian thing! :toofunny:
NO I don't want hate mail from you Italian gun owners, I get enough of that from my wifes cousin in New York! :mrgreen:
huntmq1
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:43 pm

My son owns a 500 mossy; It’s always stood the gap. The only problem I have with it, is all the metal shavings I find in the action when I clean it, [not good.]I don't how long its going to last The only piece of crap I've ever had the misfortune of owning was 1300 Winchester, could’t sell it fast enough.
State Moderator

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum