Thinking about a new gun

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Thinking about a new gun

Postby LiquidA45 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:16 am

I've had my 870 for 12 years and I am thinking about getting a new fun. I don't want a semi auto right now so I'm looking at an 870 super mag waterfowl or super nova. Are there any other pumps, preferably waterfowl edition, that are in the <$600 range I should take a look at?
LiquidA45
hunter

Re: Thinking about a new gun

Postby winchester1852 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:25 am

browning bps mossy oak duck blind sweet gun.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:26 am

If I was going to get a new pump I would get the Ithaca #37 waterfowl shotgun you wont find a better pump made :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby 0321Tony » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:19 am

I have been really happy with my super nova. It has never failed to go bang.

Sent while hiding from the boss
0321Tony
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:45 am

Winchester SXP :thumbsup:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby coach_1 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:59 am

winchester1852 wrote:browning bps mossy oak duck blind sweet gun.

^^^^ THIS!!! Has to be the best pump shotgun on the planet. You won't be disappointed. The only negative I can think of is that mine is a little heavy. On the flip side it does help with recoil reduction.
coach_1
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:52 am

cootlover wrote:If I was going to get a new pump I would get the Ithaca #37 waterfowl shotgun you wont find a better pump made :thumbsup:

X2

The only problem is it is about $150 more than your price range but will be a gun to pass down to your great grand kids in 50 years.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:52 am

Another vote for the BPS, but only if you don't have a hard time getting used to a gun that functions very differently. I shot an 870 for about ten years and then I decided that I wanted a 3.5 inch pump. I checked out the 870 supermag but the quality of the BPS really was head and shoulders above the supermag so I bought the Browning. Having to load the first shell through the bottom of the gun took a little getting used to. The thumb operated safety still gets me when birds sneak in and I don't have time to think about disengageing it.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:04 pm

I love my BPS. Not one issue to speak of and it has the most refined action of any pump I have handled. The thing that impressed me the most is the finish on the gun. It has been drenched in salt water a couple of times and there was not a speck of rust on it. Of course I oiled the outside well and got the salt off as soon as the hunt was done but I've seen other guns rust from morning dew. Second place would be the Nova/Super Nova. Can't go wrong with any of those choices.
troutman561
hunter

Postby The Drake » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:11 pm

Keep your 870 save your money and buy a Versamax Sportsman......nothing better than a good auto.
The Drake
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:16 pm

I just have this fear that a semi auto will jam on me or something will break and I won't be able to fix it. That and spending $1,000 on a gun is hard for me to justify.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:44 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:I just have this fear that a semi auto will jam on me or something will break and I won't be able to fix it. That and spending $1,000 on a gun is hard for me to justify.

when you spend $1000+ for an auto usually you're getting a quality gun. I've had less trouble from my Browning Maxus than I have from my 870. And honestly working on an auto is no harder than working on the internals of a pump.

I say save your money until you are ready for a good auto. A semi-auto is great in the duck marshes, less recoil for easier target acquisition and easier follow up shots, faster follow up shots too, and IMO just as reliable if you have a good auto.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Well I am definitely in no hurry so I think it would be smart to try and get my hands on some semi's and see how they feel, thanks for everyone's input.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:20 pm

If you really love recoil get the Supermag, the 3 1/2" shells will cross your eyes. No need to spend $1000 on a auto, good used SX 2's are going for around $600. Steoger 3500 for around $700 New or near new. Autos don't kick as hard as a pump.
z51
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:38 pm

The Drake wrote:Keep your 870 save your money and buy a Versamax Sportsman......nothing better than a good auto.

What this guy said. I love my max. For 200 bucks more. Here you go.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobi ... _28_pb_blk

Edit.
It fits just like my wing master. Like a glove.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby The Drake » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:07 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:I just have this fear that a semi auto will jam on me or something will break and I won't be able to fix it. That and spending $1,000 on a gun is hard for me to justify.

$799 right now or maybe even $749
The Drake
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:55 am

The Drake wrote:Keep your 870 save your money and buy a Versamax Sportsman......nothing better than a good auto.

X2 or just keep using the 870. When things are working so well, why change? I still use my 870 about 50% of the time. The other, a Versamax and haven't had an issue with either.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:04 am

BurninPowder wrote:

X2 or just keep using the 870. When things are working so well, why change? I still use my 870 about 50% of the time. The other, a Versamax and haven't had an issue with either.

No good reason really, mainly because I have a rifle sitting in my closet I bought and have never used. I figured I would just go back to the guy I bought it and see what kind of trade credit he would give me towards a new duck gun.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:16 pm

Liquid,
Just a suggestion from a fellow Okie! Instead of a diff gun that is $150 over your budget, how about one that is $400 less?
I have owned 870s, both express and wingmaster, a couple novas, quite a few BPS', Win pumps and I now own three Weatherby 92s. All of these are pumps but my main goto gun is a SBE. I grew up with a pump and will always have a special spot for them. I like hunting with them part of the time and share the rest with my SBE. Recently, I picked up a new camo H&R Pardner pump. I cant tell you how much I like this gun and how much I think of it. I couldnt be more impressed with any pump gun including a new BPS or new Wingmaster. I bought it from a Tulsa dealer and he met me at the half way point on the turnpike where I picked it up from him for $205. It is a 870 clone with all internal parts exactly like the 870 Rem. It has several details that are improvements over the 870. The most pleasing is its feel. It is thinner and more compact than the 870. I have always felt the 870 Rem is on the fat side for my liking but a great gun just the same. Walmart sells this gun for $174. in black synthetic.
The fit and finish of my gun are second to none. Be sure and look at one before you decide. The price is not the best part, the quality of the gun is. I get the feeling that most shooters consider this a cheap throw away gun or one for their child or girl friend. I dont. If you can find a camo version, you cant have your 870 camo dipped for the price of this whole gun. The only problems I came up with since I got it was getting a magazine plug and sling swivels for it. I installed a Hastings extended steel shot full choke in mine as it takes invector choke tubes. PM me if you want more details about this gun that I left out.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:07 pm

Thank you for the info about the h&r, I have seen you talk about it in other topics....I think you are being paid by them to advertise!!! In all seriousness, the main reason I am looking for a new gun is because I have a rifle I bought in January that I have never used and figured I would trade it in on a new duck gun since I can't seem to sell it.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Paid? Afraid not...I wish! No, I am just excited about getting one and it certainly a tank plus plenty of bang for my buck. I most likely would have bought one for three times the price as its a lot of gun and quality at that. Like I said, 870s are great guns, however I have just never taken to them as they have features that I dont really care for. The H&R has done a bang up job at changing those features, making it way more apealing to me. The thinner feel and the semi humpback reciever is part of it. The only things that could be improved on it would be to add an alloy receiver and include magazine plug plus sling swivels. Maybe you can find a trade for one. Most likely your rifle bare's a price tag much higher than the PP. Also, I looked at the PP side by side at the store next to the new 870 Express at twice the price.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby sargent76 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:27 pm

After resisting the urge to go semi-auto for years due to the high cost, I recently sold my Nova 3.5" and picked up a Franchi Affinity on Gunbroker for $769.00 and free shipping. I couldn't be happier with my choice and don't miss the ability to shoot 3.5's Good luck
2013 Season Totals:
Mallards-0
Blacks-0
Woodies-3
Canadas-2

Wild boar-3
sargent76
hunter

Postby cdover » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:34 pm

sargent76 wrote:After resisting the urge to go semi-auto for years due to the high cost, I recently sold my Nova 3.5" and picked up a Franchi Affinity on Gunbroker for $769.00 and free shipping. I couldn't be happier with my choice and don't miss the ability to shoot 3.5's Good luck

I did the exact same thing this yr super nova to the Franchi Affinity....love it! :thumbsup:
cdover
Newb

Postby Remington3 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:01 pm

870 I have had one for 8 years and never had a problem with it love it.. On the other had I just had a buddy pick up a 870 express super magnum... I know that they also have just a super magnum... But on the gun it's self should it say express super mag and not just super mag? Anyone know? Because the one I got in the past says express super mag and my dad have a 870 as well have his is just the super mag.
DUCK JUMPER!!! COMING IN HOT!!!
Remington3
Newb

Postby LiquidA45 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Remington3 wrote:870 I have had one for 8 years and never had a problem with it love it.. On the other had I just had a buddy pick up a 870 express super magnum... I know that they also have just a super magnum... But on the gun it's self should it say express super mag and not just super mag? Anyone know? Because the one I got in the past says express super mag and my dad have a 870 as well have his is just the super mag.

...what?
LiquidA45
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum