Can't seem to get enough drop in Montefeltro

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Can't seem to get enough drop in Montefeltro

Postby b-townbirds » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:05 pm

I have a 12 gauge Montefeltro and can't seem to get enough drop from my shims. I have the D shim in the gun but can still see too much rib when I mount the gun. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
b-townbirds
hunter

Re: Can't seem to get enough drop in Montefeltro

Postby z51 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:08 pm

Where does it hit?
z51
hunter

Postby b-townbirds » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:14 pm

High unless I really get down on the stock. If I am shooting clays it is fine because I can concentrate on the mount, but on birds it is a different ball game.
b-townbirds
hunter

Postby KilgoreTrout » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:15 pm

I had this same problem with an M2. Was shooting obscenely high and to the right. I put on the C shim (didn't come with a D) that wasn't enough, then used a dremel to stack 2 shims, then 3 shims, all trying to get more drop...still couldn't get the pattern off the top of the paper. Even put a taller front bead on.

It's likely your magazine tube is ever-so-slightly cocked up and is pushing up on your barrel. I'm talking thousands of an inch, imperceptible to the naked eye. Once I fixed mine, it was instantly better.

Here's what I did to finally fix it. Take off the barrel, and wrap the receiver in an old t-shirt. Clamp the receiver in a bench vise, and slide a close-fitting pipe over the magazine tube. Put a SMALL amount of pressure on it in the opposite direction from your POI (for me this was low and left). Don't crank on it - your making incredibly slight bends in it (or rather, relieving bends) Go shoot it, and test it out. Make corrections as needed.
KilgoreTrout
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:27 pm

Have you tried increasing the LOP?

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby Cobra7 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:42 am

SBE 2 had the same problem. I heard a rumor the Mack's Prairie Wings gun smith, Mr.Spoon bends Benelli barrels to get them shooting where you want. Heard this in a gun store the other day. Not sure it's true but give them a call. If not trade it for a non Benelli. I'm sure it will fit someone.
Cobra7
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum