Can't seem to get enough drop in Montefeltro

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Can't seem to get enough drop in Montefeltro

Postby b-townbirds » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:05 pm

I have a 12 gauge Montefeltro and can't seem to get enough drop from my shims. I have the D shim in the gun but can still see too much rib when I mount the gun. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
b-townbirds
hunter

Re: Can't seem to get enough drop in Montefeltro

Postby z51 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:08 pm

Where does it hit?
z51
hunter

Postby b-townbirds » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:14 pm

High unless I really get down on the stock. If I am shooting clays it is fine because I can concentrate on the mount, but on birds it is a different ball game.
b-townbirds
hunter

Postby KilgoreTrout » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:15 pm

I had this same problem with an M2. Was shooting obscenely high and to the right. I put on the C shim (didn't come with a D) that wasn't enough, then used a dremel to stack 2 shims, then 3 shims, all trying to get more drop...still couldn't get the pattern off the top of the paper. Even put a taller front bead on.

It's likely your magazine tube is ever-so-slightly cocked up and is pushing up on your barrel. I'm talking thousands of an inch, imperceptible to the naked eye. Once I fixed mine, it was instantly better.

Here's what I did to finally fix it. Take off the barrel, and wrap the receiver in an old t-shirt. Clamp the receiver in a bench vise, and slide a close-fitting pipe over the magazine tube. Put a SMALL amount of pressure on it in the opposite direction from your POI (for me this was low and left). Don't crank on it - your making incredibly slight bends in it (or rather, relieving bends) Go shoot it, and test it out. Make corrections as needed.
KilgoreTrout
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:27 pm

Have you tried increasing the LOP?

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby Cobra7 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:42 am

SBE 2 had the same problem. I heard a rumor the Mack's Prairie Wings gun smith, Mr.Spoon bends Benelli barrels to get them shooting where you want. Heard this in a gun store the other day. Not sure it's true but give them a call. If not trade it for a non Benelli. I'm sure it will fit someone.
Cobra7
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum