recommendations?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

recommendations?

Postby Jesse_r12c » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:11 pm

Any recommendations for a new reliable semi-auto under one thousand?
Jesse_r12c
hunter

Re: recommendations?

Postby Rich- » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:21 pm

Beretta A300, I have one and the gun is amazing.
Rich-
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:31 pm

I bought my Maxus on sale for a grand. Might be able to find a higher end gun used for a good price. Careful on the older Maxuses though because they had trigger issues. My first one did. Check gunbroker or gunsamerica

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4
Takeem406
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:29 am

Rich- wrote:Beretta A300, I have one and the gun is amazing.

This or a Franchi Affinity new or used find a Beretta 390, 3901 or 391.

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:41 am

Remington Versamax Sportsman
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby z51 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:29 am

Winchester SX 3
z51
hunter

Postby TEN GAUGE BBB » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:41 am

SX3 :thumbsup:
TEN GAUGE BBB
hunter

Postby Jesse_r12c » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:14 pm

i heard the Affinity is a really good gun and the sx3... Which do you guys prefer? and thanks everyone for the replies.. always a struggle to pick a new gun :fingerhead:
Jesse_r12c
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:14 pm

The best advice is to find them, handle them, shoulder them and shoot them if possible. Do it right and do it once and you'll have a lifetime of enjoyment, because most auto loaders being cranked out today will be very hard for the average person to wear out.

What exactly do you plan to do with it?

Waterfowl?
Dove?
Clays?
Turkey?

Every gun will do most things well, a couple of things really well and one thing perfectly. It comes down to a compromise, pick your number one priority and find the gun that does it perfectly, but fits you also, then move to the next item and pick that gun, and so on, eventually you will have a pro/con list for each gun and the rest gets easy.

Priority:

No compromise here:

Fit, if it doesn't fit, it will be miserable to shoot, next to fire ants in your socks, it can be done, but you'll be feeling it for a few days.

Quality and Finish, pick a gun that is not only attractive but is function(not hard there, most name brand major players are good to go). If you don't like the way it looks and feels, it will not get taken out and used, much like an ugly girlfriend, great at home, but you don't want your friends to see you sporting her around town.

Balance and barrel length, a short barrel is whippy and hard to drive like a 72 Datsun B210 with bald tires on rain slick roads, it can be done, but not like Porsche. You also don't want a lamp post for a barrel either, makes it tiresome to carry and sluggish to shoot, like a 60 model Chevy with a 6cyl and no power steering.

You have to find that balance and compromise, a good friend that shoots or time at a clays range around guys who do shoot and shoot often. You will find the most affable people on a clays course, especially with regards to new/novice shooter, they will let you run their guns and help point you in the right direction, and even help you build the correct form, the basis for good wing shooting or target shooting.

Good luck and choose wisely what works for you, not because one of us clowns recommended it, we don't know you, your build, or how you shoot, get to a range and do not make a haste decision, you have plenty of time and trust me, a new gun is nice, but a new gun that fits and looks good too, is much better!
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby elkhunt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:50 pm

I have a stoeger 3500 and I could not be happier with it. Do the break in with it ans it will shoot anything. Trap I am just over 600 rounds and I have been dove hunting the past few weeks. I should say the gun fit me. I liked the way it shoulders before I knew what it was. Had to go home and research about it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
elkhunt
hunter

Postby Jesse_r12c » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:03 pm

Haha I wish I had enough money to buy the new Remington or browning but im on a college budget but thank you every one for your time and help.
Jesse_r12c
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:52 am

Jesse_r12c wrote:Haha I wish I had enough money to buy the new Remington or browning but im on a college budget but thank you every one for your time and help.

You can find most any current shotgun for under a $1000, except maybe a Benelli. A Browning Gold/Silver are two great choices from Browning, The Versamax Sportsman is under $900 as is the 1100, the Beretta 390/391 can both be had easily for under $1000, Franchi makes the Affinity, 612/712 for sub $750 range and Winchester has the SX2/SX3 for under a $1000 easily. If you take your time and hunt wisely, you can accomplish your goal and have money to spare.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:07 am

Benelli M2
bought a lightly used one last year for $850. Was a great gun all season last year with zero problems.

The SX3 would be a good choice too.
quacknstack6 wrote:L&L is right
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Return to Shotgun Forum