I think I arrived at a decision

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:18 pm

Called the gun shop I bought the rifle from and they are giving me 90% of the retail price for trade in value on a new VersaMax sportsman. I handled one in a gun shop last night and it felt a lot better than expected. They had an 11-87 I picked up but it didn't feel right in my hands. Looked at the Franchi Affinity and liked it but I would like to have the option to shoot 3 1/2. I figure I would try to camo the gun myself using the write up in the forum and if it sucks I will just have it hydro dipped. I hope to get the gun in the next week or so, unless I change my mind.
LiquidA45
hunter

Re: I think I arrived at a decision

Postby orphanedcowboy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:23 pm

Which is it?

unless I change my mind

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:31 pm

I will buy the gun unless something unforeseeable happens while I am in the gun shop which may include but not be limited to:

1) seeing/holding a gun I had not previously considered
2) seeing a good deal on something used
3) deciding to save the money and just run the 870 for another season
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:36 pm

Do they have the new Franchi Intensity? That's their new 3.5" gun..
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:44 pm

I didn't think to ask, the Affinity was a few dollars more expensive then the VersaMax so I assumed the Intenisty would be a a couple hundred more. Do you happen to know what that gun sells for?
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:03 pm

gearhead80
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:50 pm

I was searching around for it right before you posted that, msrp at $1100 so probably sell for $900-1000? I might have to look into that gun a little more, with it being brand new I doubt there is any good reviews.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:14 pm

Versamax here is $800+ and the Affinity is $650-$750, I would check with the shop and make sure they have the pricing correct and the Versamax is in fact new.

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:40 pm

A 3 1/2" heavy load fired in a 6 3/4 pound recoil operated gun is going to be brutal. In my 8 pound gas operated SX 2 it is tolerable.
It's your money but I would get a least a 7 1/4 pound gas gun if you want to shoot the big bullets.
z51
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:42 pm

z51 wrote:A 3 1/2" heavy load fired in a 6 3/4 pound recoil operated gun is going to be brutal. In my 8 pound gas operated SX 2 it is tolerable.
It's your money but I would get a least a 7 1/4 pound gas gun if you want to shoot the big bullets.

I assume you are referring to the Franchi?
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:05 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
z51 wrote:A 3 1/2" heavy load fired in a 6 3/4 pound recoil operated gun is going to be brutal. In my 8 pound gas operated SX 2 it is tolerable.

I assume you are referring to the Franchi?

Yes, the one gearhead had linked. Regardless I would go with a gas gun. Find one that feels right.
Last edited by z51 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
z51
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:08 pm

I'm glad you brought the weight to ny attention, although I am to overtly concerned with recoil as I am a pretty big guy. But that combined with the price takes me back to the Versa.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:14 pm

I'm pretty big myself but recoil is cumulative.
z51
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:18 pm

z51 wrote:I'm pretty big myself but recoil is cumulative.

I wasn't trying to disagree with you, just saying I expect some recoil from any gun shooting 3 1/2 inch shells. But if that gun is a full pound lighter than the Versa I'm sure there might be a good difference.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:53 pm

IMO Inertia is more of a no nonsense workhorse of a system. Not taking anything from gas operated guns, but I believe there is more to worry about and more possibilities for failures in the field. Also need more frequent maintenance required. Just my opinion and what I've noticed from posts on here. I love my Inertia gun and I'm not that big. I know there are people with gas gun that have never had a problem, and inertia systems that have had problems. There is no perfect gun. Get what you can afford and fits you best.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:52 am

orphanedcowboy wrote:Versamax here is $800+ and the Affinity is $650-$750, I would check with the shop and make sure they have the pricing correct and the Versamax is in fact new.

Sent from my Tesla coil

The Versamax was $809 and the Affinity was $839, my guess is the Affinity had a camo finish?
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby z51 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:26 am

LiquidA45 wrote:
z51 wrote:I'm pretty big myself but recoil is cumulative.

I wasn't trying to disagree with you, just saying I expect some recoil from any gun shooting 3 1/2 inch shells. But if that gun is a full pound lighter than the Versa I'm sure there might be a good difference.

I didn't take it that way. The other thing is gas guns tend to spread free recoil over a longer period of time lessening felt recoil effect.
z51
hunter

Postby The Drake » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:00 am

You will love the versamax. And yes 3.5" out if a recoil operated gun is brutal.
The Drake
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:57 am

The Drake wrote:You will love the versamax. And yes 3.5" out if a recoil operated gun is brutal.

How can anyone tell another person they will LOVE a certain gun. I picked up a Versamax and hated it. Im sure being gas operated is shoot smooth but I didn't like the feel of it. That's just my opinion though. Felt like I was holding a 4x4 filed will concrete. I've picked up several guns that felt the same way. Not for me is all. So to say that is just absurd. When shooting whatever out of my Inertia gun at birds I don't feel anything. The day I start noticing recoil over excitment will be the day I stop hunting.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby The Drake » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:29 pm

gearhead80 wrote:
The Drake wrote:You will love the versamax. And yes 3.5" out if a recoil operated gun is brutal.

How can anyone tell another person they will LOVE a certain gun. I picked up a Versamax and hated it. Im sure being gas operated is shoot smooth but I didn't like the feel of it. That's just my opinion though. Felt like I was holding a 4x4 filed will concrete. I've picked up several guns that felt the same way. Not for me is all. So to say that is just absurd. When shooting whatever out of my Inertia gun at birds I don't feel anything. The day I start noticing recoil over excitment will be the day I stop hunting.

When you understand ballistics and physics better you will learn recoil is cumulative. As a rule the less a gun recoils the better you will shoot it. Recoil operated guns were great when companies were struggling to make reliable gas guns. Now the gas guns are just as if not more reliable than the recoils. I owned a Benelli for 11 years great gun, too much recoil when you shoot alot or hunt alot.

Read the guys original post he said it felt good, given that how well they work and how low the recoil is my statement is right on............Have you shot a Versamax yet ? Didnt think so, so saying my statement is absurd just shows your lack of knowledge on the matter.
The Drake
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:56 pm

gearhead80 wrote:

After you get old and have neck surgery you will shoot a gasser and you will not stop hunting. Ned S who has a plate in his neck and shoots 2 3/4 loads in his gassers.
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:36 pm

The Drake wrote:
gearhead80 wrote:

When you understand ballistics and physics better you will learn recoil is cumulative. As a rule the less a gun recoils the better you will shoot it. Recoil operated guns were great when companies were struggling to make reliable gas guns. Now the gas guns are just as if not more reliable than the recoils. I owned a Benelli for 11 years great gun, too much recoil when you shoot alot or hunt alot.

Read the guys original post he said it felt good, given that how well they work and how low the recoil is my statement is right on............Have you shot a Versamax yet ? Didnt think so, so saying my statement is absurd just shows your lack of knowledge on the matter.

Apparently you have not read all of my posts entirely either. But you are clearly way smarter then me. I was just stating that just because you love a gun doesn't mean everyone else will. I've shot several gas guns, not a versamax yet, grew up shooting an 1100. The versamax feels like the s auto Stoeger to me. So what. That's why I don't own one. I was just trying to give the guy some more facts. Congratulations you are a forum posting genius. :clapping: BTW a Benelli is not a recoil gun, it's an inertia operated firearm. The old Auto 5 or A-5's are recoil operated if I'm not mistaken.....
gearhead80
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum