Duck Hunting Forum banner

Looking for a 20ga over under

4K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  DuckManClyde 
#1 ·
Any suggestions? I want to keep the price below 600-700. I want to use it for duck hunting primarily, but will also use it for upland and skeet. I don't know where to start

#3 ·
If you must have new, while not nearly as finely finish as the Browning, Beretta, Winchester or other high end guns, Baikal produces a solid, if somewhat crude and heavy but dependable gun.
The used market especially in the USA is full of other great deals and options, Winchester 101's, Browning Citoris, Beretta and so on, get out there and handle as many as you can and make up your mind.

#6 ·
Why do you want a 20ga O/U for duck hunting? Upland and skeet they are great. Unless you are willing to spend the extra dollars for heavier than steel loads, the 20 is definitely lacking. I know this will stir the pot with a lot of 20ga shooters. Besides the light 20ga guns have a lot more recoil with the heavy loads needed for waterfowl hunting. My 20ga Citori gets used for grouse, quail and the occasional chucker hunt while the 12ga semi-autos shoot steel at ducks. Lots more flexibility of loads for the 12ga.

#7 ·
flyndutchman said:
Why do you want a 20ga O/U for duck hunting? Upland and skeet they are great. Unless you are willing to spend the extra dollars for heavier than steel loads, the 20 is definitely lacking. I know this will stir the pot with a lot of 20ga shooters. Besides the light 20ga guns have a lot more recoil with the heavy loads needed for waterfowl hunting. My 20ga Citori gets used for grouse, quail and the occasional chucker hunt while the 12ga semi-autos shoot steel at ducks. Lots more flexibility of loads for the 12ga.
I'm looking to try something different. I was tempted to even try a .410. Plus they are just cool guns. I don't do a lot of upland hunting, but when I do I would definitely use it. I looked at the mossberg silver reserve but it just wasn't well put together. The ruger is cool but the trigger selector is a bit odd and I have heard they can be problematic. The Stoger condor seems like a relatively inexpensive option. I just don't know a lot about these guns

#8 ·
I just picked up a baikal mp310 from budsgunsshop for around 450 with a lifetime Warrenty through them. If shoots great and has yet to have a problem with a few hundred rounds through it. It's Russian made and everything I have heard says they are built to last compared to the mossberg and other cheap o/u.

#9 ·
If something different is your idea then buy the best you can afford because steel load recoil will beat it up. Go up a $100 and look for a used Citori. The best thing about it will be you can get your money out of It if you don't like it. They are a solid built, classic gun. Much stronger and well put together than any of the cheaper O/U's.

#10 ·
I'm one of those that will argue that there is nothing wrong with a 20 ga for duck hunting. Pattern density can really start to suffer beyond 40 yards but I never shoot that far anyway. Some 20s are built on 12 ga frames some have their own frame size. The ones built on their own frames are really fast but recoil is a bit more.

I actually shoot my 20 ga better than my 12 dispite the fact that the 12 fits me much better. My 20 is a Tristar and my 12 a red label..... Once I get through my supply of steel for the 12 I'm going to try swap it for a red label in 20 ga. My tristar has probably seen 3-4 boxes of steel a year and a case of lead for the past 5-6 years without a hitch (knock on wood). My only complaint is that the top barrel shoots low (7/8 of the pattern below POA). I also have a set of four tenner tubes for it which are fun. I use xfull turkey chokes when I put the tubes in and get a good enough pattern to bust 22/25 clays pretty consistently.

One note: about the cheaper guns. If you go that way, try shouldering several guns in the model you want before picking one. Many of the cheaper guns can have significant variation in cast and/or drop. I picked up a Baikal once that could have been used for a hockey stick...................

#11 ·
flyndutchman said:
You a little recoil sensitive?? A 20 bore duck load with a lot of recoil?? Maybe your gun didn't fit you right?

I really have never meet a heavy recoiling load from a 20 myself but I have really only been shooting them heavy for the last 7 or so years.

As far as going cheaper on the guns.........most would say you have a 50/50 chance of getting a good one. I myself have been lucky and had 3 (lower cost) o/u's that have yet to give me a issue. 2 of those stoger condors and one a mossy silver reserve. One of the stogers has well in excess of 10,000 total rounds through it with about 2 grand of those being kent faststeel loads.

As far as pattern work here is the link to when i was playing with my sx3 and some new chokes. These patterns will kill 40 yard ducks just fine :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=270818

#16 ·
I have a 12 ga Condor. Great gun. I shoot alot of 20 ga style loads in it. The Yildiz is an excellent 0/U also. They are handled by the Academy. The Condor uses Win chokes. I have an extended IC and Lite Mod in mine by Trulock. They were on the sale bench for $10 each when I bought my Condor from Gander for $180. Ned S

#18 ·
I can definitely vouch for the condor as well, our family owns 2 of them ( condor and longfowler ) Both guns shoot great. mines the longfowler and i shoot everything with it, from trap to ducks. But theres always the supreme models for another 100$. ( better wood and ejectors) but either way, i highly recommend stoeger. Make sure you go online to register them for their warranty.

#19 ·
cootlover said:
If you cant kill a duck at 45 -50 yards with a 20 gauge you should go back to shooting school and if you go by the internet shooting experts you shouldn't shoot past 35 yards anyway so a 20 gauge will work just fine. PS the duck hunt is just around the corner :thumbsup:
And if your killing all the ducks you shoot at that are 50 yards away you need to invest in a range finder.

#20 ·
ohio mike said:
cootlover said:
If you cant kill a duck at 45 -50 yards with a 20 gauge you should go back to shooting school and if you go by the internet shooting experts you shouldn't shoot past 35 yards anyway so a 20 gauge will work just fine. PS the duck hunt is just around the corner :thumbsup:
And if your killing all the ducks you shoot at that are 50 yards away you need to invest in a range finder.
:beer:

#22 ·
I am in the Citori camp. I have a Ruger 20ga Red Label, and while it is a sweet gun to carry in the pheasant and quail fields, it is far too light to shoot heavy waterfowl loads. With 3" loads, it kicks far more than 3.5" loads in my Xtrema2 for example.

Do yourself a favor and avoid AT ALL COSTS the cheap Russian/Turkish crapguns; the Condor, the Baikal, the CZ, the Silver Reserve. Their reliability and user satisfaction levels are far below that of the Brownings, Berettas, etc. All guns are not created equal. A few guys claim the crapguns are reliable. Far more guys offload them rather quickly.

Some say they are a good value for the money. In reality, what they mean is "well, at least it was cheap".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.