VERSAMAX SPORTSMEN VS. SBE2 AMERICAN SERIES

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

VERSAMAX SPORTSMEN VS. SBE2 AMERICAN SERIES

Postby GooseHunter797 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:41 am

hello I am debating one getting one of these 2 guns...(PLEASE DON'T TELL ME TO GET A DIFFRENT GUN I WANT ONE OF THESE 2). My choices are the benili sbe2 American series ( http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/pro ... n&i=725093 ) or the versamax sportsmen ( http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... tsman.aspx ) please help me decide I think their both great gun but I need something to withstand cold winter and rainy snowgoose hunts and shoot 3 1/2" shells... Also I love dove hunting so I need it to cycle 2 3/4" shells... Witch gun should I pick?

OR IF YOU HAD BOTH GUNS NEXT TO YOU WITCH ONE WOULD YOU PICK UP?

THANK YOU! PLEASE COMMENT! :thumbsup: :help: :beer:
GooseHunter797
hunter

Re: VERSAMAX SPORTSMEN VS. SBE2 AMERICAN SERIES

Postby Boocephus » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:19 pm

I really like my new VM. Not sure about the really cold and rainy weather yet. I would say pick the one that fits you the best they both should be fine. Good luck.
Boocephus
hunter

Postby The Drake » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:10 pm

I have had my Versamax over a year......never a fail yet in temps down to 8 degree's. Cant say enough about the operation and light recoil of this gun. If you are even thinking of shooting 3.5's dont get a SBE, it will beat the hell out of you.
The Drake
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:11 pm

You need to decide between gas and inertia operation.

If you want to go with inertia, get the SBE.

If you want to go with gas, I wouldn't recommend the Versa Max.
At least not for a few more years.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:15 pm

BTW, in your last thread NObody even mentioned the Versa Max. Let alone recommended it.

Kinda seems like we are talking to a stump that can post threads.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby NW Birdhunter » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:11 pm

I would take the Versamax and run. Any load, Anywhere Every time. :beer:
Forget the past, the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
NW Birdhunter
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:07 pm

To anyone considering a Versamax... There is a 100 plus page thread dedicated to review and testing of the VM over at SGW. I considered this thread as a large part of my research before purchasing my VM. It's true there were some kinks to be worked out with the early development of the VM but it is slowly developing a very dedicated following among true shotgunners. Here's the link to the thread, http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 5&t=244957
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby z51 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:21 pm

I could care less which one you get, or pick up, or mull over, or dream about. Just pick one and move on. What would you have done before AL Gore invented the interweb? :rolleyes:
z51
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:05 am

Both are good but I like what I'm hearing about the VM.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:07 am

I don't know with 100% certainty but I have read that a few corners were cut in regaurds to the corrosion resistance of various internal parts in order to bring down the price of the VM Sportsman. With the SBE 2 American you get the same SBE 2 with a different stock. That is one of my favorite things about my SBE2. You have to look long and hard to find a part that can rust. Most of the guts seem to either be chrome plated, aluminum, or polymer. Not a bad feature to have on a gun that does its work in wet weather.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby GooseHunter797 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:36 am

"I could care less which one you get, or pick up, or mull over, or dream about. Just pick one and move on. What would you have done before AL Gore invented the interweb?"

If you could careless please don't comment... And thank you all for who gave me your GOOD opinion... I'm considering the sbe2
GooseHunter797
hunter

Postby GooseHunter797 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:08 pm

Just found out that the sbe2 American series is only a once a year release... :mad: :no:
GooseHunter797
hunter

Postby Dehunter » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:18 pm

I just got a Versamax in the duckblind finish. . Its the regular, not sportsman. I , love it. I shoot a lot of shells a year through and auto loader for skeet, and this gun functions flawlessly . Shoots the target loads well and ejects them fine. Will try the hard stuff next weekend.
Its a lot softer shooting than my Beretta and 1100 and 1187s so far with the skeet loads, heavy stuff will tell.
Targets-tequila- trailers-Ahh the skeet life!
Dehunter
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:22 pm

clampdaddy wrote:I don't know with 100% certainty but I have read that a few corners were cut in regaurds to the corrosion resistance of various internal parts in order to bring down the price of the VM Sportsman. With the SBE 2 American you get the same SBE 2 with a different stock. That is one of my favorite things about my SBE2. You have to look long and hard to find a part that can rust. Most of the guts seem to either be chrome plated, aluminum, or polymer. Not a bad feature to have on a gun that does its work in wet weather.

Evidently the only difference in corrosion resistant parts between the "Standard" and "Sportsman" models is the Standard has a Trinite coated nickel plated bore. All other internal parts are the same. Lawd, what'd we do before nickel plated barrels, Teflon coated internal parts and high tech TriNyte finishes... Well evidently someone took care of their guns. :biggrin: If not the used firearms market would be suffering severely. Is there something to be learned here? :huh:
Last edited by BurninPowder on Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby malrdmasher » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:55 pm

Sbe 2. Drop it in the lake and cycle out three shells with seaweed blasting out. Can be disassembled/reassembled in the dark, blind folded , with one hand tied behind your back. I love my sbe 2. Never touched the versa so I have no input on it.
malrdmasher
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:18 pm

GooseHunter797 wrote:hello I am debating one getting one of these 2 guns...(PLEASE DON'T TELL ME TO GET A DIFFRENT GUN I WANT ONE OF THESE 2). My choices are the benili sbe2 American series ( http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/pro ... n&i=725093 ) or the versamax sportsmen ( http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... tsman.aspx ) please help me decide I think their both great gun but I need something to withstand cold winter and rainy snowgoose hunts and shoot 3 1/2" shells... Also I love dove hunting so I need it to cycle 2 3/4" shells... Witch gun should I pick?

OR IF YOU HAD BOTH GUNS NEXT TO YOU WITCH ONE WOULD YOU PICK UP?

THANK YOU! PLEASE COMMENT! :thumbsup: :help: :beer:

A gun that can shoot 3 1/2'' shells may not be the best choice if you want to shoot 2 3/4. unless you would be willing to buy heavy 2 3/4 shells or switch out the recoil spring.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:29 pm

winchester1852 wrote:A gun that can shoot 3 1/2'' shells may not be the best choice if you want to shoot 2 3/4. unless you would be willing to buy heavy 2 3/4 shells or switch out the recoil spring.

My VM will cycle 2 1/4oz 3 1/2" turkey loads to 1oz 2 3/4" field loads without changing a thing! :thumbsup:
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:28 pm

BurninPowder wrote:Evidently the only difference in corrosion resistant parts between the "Standard" and "Sportsman" models is the Standard has a Trinite coated nickel plated bore. All other internal parts are the same. Lawd, what'd we do before nickel plated barrels, Teflon coated internal parts and high tech TriNyte finishes... Well evidently someone took care of their guns. :biggrin: If not the used firearms market would be suffering severely. Is there something to be learned here? :huh:

Well that would settle it for me. Any company that coats the bores of their guns with a metal that is softer than barrel steel or the shot being pushed through it..... :huh: :lol3:

All joking aside though, I believe the nickel plating was left off the parts in the trigger group and the trinyte finish was left off the outside of the barrel. Not a big deal, just something to think about.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:25 pm

BurninPowder wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:A gun that can shoot 3 1/2'' shells may not be the best choice if you want to shoot 2 3/4. unless you would be willing to buy heavy 2 3/4 shells or switch out the recoil spring.

My VM will cycle 2 1/4oz 3 1/2" turkey loads to 1oz 2 3/4" field loads without changing a thing! :thumbsup:

in the cold?
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby no3topqb » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:18 am

I actually had both of these guns, and honestly couldn't wait to get rid of them. I traded a SX2 for the sbe2 American and loved The gun, but it kicked like the devil. I've never noticed recoil before but I did with this one. Traded it for the VM. Recoil was amazing with all sizes of shells. I just felt like the gun didn't fit me. No matter what I did, just didn't work. Got rid of it about a month ago and got a SX3 in modb and I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
no3topqb
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:35 am

clampdaddy wrote:
BurninPowder wrote:Evidently the only difference in corrosion resistant parts between the "Standard" and "Sportsman" models is the Standard has a Trinite coated nickel plated bore. All other internal parts are the same. Lawd, what'd we do before nickel plated barrels, Teflon coated internal parts and high tech TriNyte finishes... Well evidently someone took care of their guns. :biggrin: If not the used firearms market would be suffering severely. Is there something to be learned here? :huh:

Well that would settle it for me. Any company that coats the bores of their guns with a metal that is softer than barrel steel or the shot being pushed through it..... :huh: :lol3:

All joking aside though, I believe the nickel plating was left off the parts in the trigger group and the trinyte finish was left off the outside of the barrel. Not a big deal, just something to think about.

Just quoting the Remington website and posts made by parties that inquired with Remington directly. http://www.remington.com/en/product-fam ... a-max.aspx "4140 Hammer-Forged Steel TriNyte Coating With Nickel Plated Bore" I tend to agree with your assertion but I've heard of stranger things... And yes Win1852 it was pretty cool when I was patterning this gun for turkey season. Somewhere around Feb-March, I use the light loads to check POI with various chokes and then the actual for patterning. I believe (based on the design) temperature would have little to do with it's cycling ability. It relies largely on the size and positioning of the gas ports to ensure proper cycling force, directly per shell size.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby The Drake » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:41 am

So you have never seen an auto slow down in 5 degree weather ? :huh: Oil gets thicker in colder weather, at least it does in wisconsin.
The Drake
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:00 am

If you use Rem Oil in 10F temperatures it will stop the cycle in a 1100. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:09 am

I have noticed "slow cycle" in the past with my 1187 and 1100, but could never duplicate it past the first shot. I tend to take very good care of my firearms and seldom experience fail to cycle issues, especially related to gun oil viscosity. I reside in SC where I do a large portion of my hunting and if I do travel OSS it's usually west and the temps similar. Haven't used the VM in 10 degree weather so cannot attest to the cycling in those conditions. 20-25 is probably the coldest I've used it and no issues at that temperature range.
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:59 pm

winchester1852 wrote:
BurninPowder wrote:

in the cold?

Every time. Shot trap in the snow with mine. The V Max handled my abuse with out being cleaned for 9 months and many thousands of rounds. Eventually got so gummed up it stopped all moving parts.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum