VERSAMAX SPORTSMEN VS. SBE2 AMERICAN SERIES

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: VERSAMAX SPORTSMEN VS. SBE2 AMERICAN SERIES

Postby nitroduck » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:10 pm

Ok, while this will only be my second year duck hunting I've been competitive shooting for 10 years, and I also worked at ****'s Sporting Goods in the firearm department for a year and sold many VM's and SBE2's. I've hear multiple testimonies from everyone from 12 year old to the old guys that have been around before Moses. Here's what I've heard and have seen (I've shot both):

sbe2: I sold these mostly to people who haven't done quite as much research. Most of them are going based off of the Benelli name or because their buddy had one in the blind. Take that with a grain of salt cause there IS a reason that Benelli got its good name. After quick review, the sbe2 is an amazing gun that just about everyone who shoots it loves and they will wear by it over the VM or any other gun, even the Beretta A400. Another pro is that due to almost all the parts, especially exposed part, are coated and prevent rust better than most all other guns. I had multiple people tell me they clean it about every 3 hunts (why you wouldn't do it every time beats me).

Best story regarding the sbe2: A guy probably early 50's came in and bought a sbe2. He had gone out the week before and went with a buddy who had one. When they went out his friend dropped the gun in the lake. He picked it up, put three shells in it and it racked them out no problem, even with water flying from the chamber with the shell.

VM: Most of these guns were sold to guys who were Remington loyal from something like their field 1100 or daddy's 870, or because they had done a lot of research and shot it and loved it. From most of what I remember the VM got a bad name because of faulty parts in some of the first models. As far as recoil is concerned I've heard guys of all sizes compare a 3" shell to a light target 2 3/4".

Best story: A guy came in a bought a VM from me in late October. He already had a sbe2 but the VM was on sale and he figured he'd get his son a better gun than the Mossberg 500 he was using. Around mid December he calls my store asking if we have any more VM's. Comes by later that day and buys two. Turns out that after almost a month of hunting he had tried out his sons VM a couple times, loved it, sold his sbe2, and was now buying himself a VM sportsman for duck hunting and buying one in mossy oak breakup for turkey.

Here's my opinion: I took them both trap shooting. I liked the feel of the sbe2 because of its complete rounded forearm. I used the pointed finger technique for my forearm hand and the VM's didnt feel right because of the cut. They both shot about the same, but the recoil was less in the VM. Both ejected the Remington STS rounds fine, but when it came to Diana only the Remington cycled every time.

In conclusion: I'll put it this way, after working in the arena and hearing all I've heard I'm now saving for a VM; however, whichever one you get you will never regret. With proper care each will be nearly immune to rust and both will get the duck. It's all up to which one you feel fits the best and which name you want to carry.
nitroduck
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:12 pm

Tealer wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:
BurninPowder wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:A gun that can shoot 3 1/2'' shells may not be the best choice if you want to shoot 2 3/4. unless you would be willing to buy heavy 2 3/4 shells or switch out the recoil spring.

My VM will cycle 2 1/4oz 3 1/2" turkey loads to 1oz 2 3/4" field loads without changing a thing! :thumbsup:

in the cold?

Every time. Shot trap in the snow with mine. The V Max handled my abuse with out being cleaned for 9 months and many thousands of rounds. Eventually got so gummed up it stopped all moving parts.

surprising :eek:
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:33 pm

winchester1852 wrote:
Tealer wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:
BurninPowder wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:A gun that can shoot 3 1/2'' shells may not be the best choice if you want to shoot 2 3/4. unless you would be willing to buy heavy 2 3/4 shells or switch out the recoil spring.

My VM will cycle 2 1/4oz 3 1/2" turkey loads to 1oz 2 3/4" field loads without changing a thing! :thumbsup:

in the cold?

Every time. Shot trap in the snow with mine. The V Max handled my abuse with out being cleaned for 9 months and many thousands of rounds. Eventually got so gummed up it stopped all moving parts.

surprising :eek:

When the gun was loaned to me they told me to never clean it. A fresh water rinse after a slat hunt was all that was allowed. I carried a second gun for a lot of those hunts. Afraid that Remington's quality would be an issue. All of my V Max's have been great.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby goosman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:11 pm

we hunt hard lot of walking and cat tail fuzzes are always in your gun mud dirt grim versa max complete piece of junk dad bought one just to see if they finally made a waterfowl gun he is a loyal remington man except for an auto loading shot gun he junked 2 1187 and he just sold his versa max back to the dealer he bought it from after one season becuase he hated it. never cycled and if it did it would drop 2 shells and jam i dont like the sbe2 either becuase they kick like a mule with the big boomers in there 3 1/2s will kill you but between those 2 guns sbe2 with out question remington guns the last ten years imo are garbage good luck
If its not flying its not dyin,Deer Hunters are like nagging wifes, My boat sounds like an old shovelhead harley.
goosman
hunter

Postby Tgunz_64 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:48 pm

I'd go SBE2. Know some guys with Remington autos and they seem to have issues more often. I shoot a Super Vinci and love the inertia drive. Fewer parts, better balanced, and stays much cleaner. Plus they don't kick that much. Hope this helps.
Tgunz_64
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:51 am

I owned a versamax for two complete seasons. I loved the way it fit, and the recoil was amazing. It seemed like a well put together shotgun when I purchased it. I have been loyal to remington since my dad bought me my first 870. The just fit better than anything out there. I began shooting it at early season teal and the thing was a machine no problems at all. as the season progresses I switch to 3 1/2in loads only. I do a lot of hunting. My guns are tools they get used and abused, but they are always cleaned and well taken care of internally. Once I would switch over to 3 1/2 in shells it would jam every two or three shells. It becam the shell jammest thing I have ever seen. It ended up spending most of the time I had it on the UPS truck to Remington. I sent it in 3 times. Remington replaced the barrel, bolt, trigger group, magazine tube spring, pretty much everything. Still it would not shoot 3 shells in a row. Finally after the 3rd time my money was refunded, and I resorted back to my old 870. This is an honest review of my experiences. I wish it would have worked out better for me cause I loved the thing when i was shooting 3in or smaller shells. If I was to buy again I would have a hard time buying a versamax, but they do have some excellent reviews by many. Good luck
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby oldfireguy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:01 am

Sounds like both are good choices. Buy the gun that fits you best. Doesn't matter if a gun cycles well if you compromise on fit.
OR.....
Buy them both. Try them both. Keep your favorite and send me the other.
Yeah.....I didn't think that would work..
Enjoy the new gun.
oldfireguy
hunter

Postby Fish Feeder » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:04 pm

I own both guns. The versa max hands down has less recoil. I shoot it twice as good as I do the SBE. The versa max is not as complicated to clean as most gas guns either. Watch the online vids of how easy take down and cleaning are. It come with a breakdown case just like the SBE. I deer hunt also and my thinking is like this : most people don't shoot magnum caliber rifles well. They flinch because of recoil. If you aren't thinking of the recoil you will shoot better. I personally like the versa max better. You can get a recoil reducing dAmpner for the SBE. But this adds 11 Oz the rear of the gun making it a heavy as the remington. If you are small framed have shoulder trouble or jus don't like being beat up to hunt ducks buy a versa max. I used to come home from the dove field with a sore shoulder. Not anymore since the versa max.
Fish Feeder
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum