Duck Hunting Forum banner

newbie needs advice o/u vs pump

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  DUKHTR 
#1 ·
hi all,
first, thanks in advance for your help. i'm a total newbie who is getting into skeet/trap shooting. but i've always wanted to ultimately hunt ducks. i don't own a shotgun yet, i've been shooting some targets with my friend's o/u.

my question is: is it feasible to hunt ducks with an o/u? i've been thinking about getting an o/u because most of the people i shoot with at the skeet club shoot with o/u and mostly hunt upland. but it seems from what i can gather that duck hunters prefer pump (or auto)?

please enlighten me. also any recommendations on a solid beginner's shotgun for a reasonable price? thanks.

#2 ·
Biscuit - I am from the old school - I learned to shoot on a skeet field with a pump! The concept is this...once you can work a pump gun with ptroficiency, autos etc will be easy. Kinduv like learning to drive a manual transmission - from there you can drive anything!

I use an OU on the skeet field now - shorter dimensions allow for quick swings etc. For waterfowling I use pumps for reliability and durability but occaisionally use an auto. It is ironic that you are asking this question right now...I am in the process of looking for an OU to use hunting. I will not use the skeet gun in the field since duck guns do take a beating. I am looking hard at the Stoeger Condor. Low price but comes from a great background of manuafcturing. Franchi and Benelli are sisters of Stoeger. I have seen these pieces (msrp is $390) and they have good fit, a strong box and appear to have all I want in a duck piece. Wood and checkering or 'ok', but not exceptional.

One thing to keep in mind with a stack barrel is ---- no third shot, which can be critical on a wounded bird.

#4 ·
Fianlly found a Stoeger. Apparently now that they are part of the Benelli group, the only sales are direct from Benelli and to their dealers only. Not any wholesalers. Found a supreme for $350 - will put the order in today.

I'll report back on quality and my impressions as soon as I can get some shooting in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.