BERETTA A400 OWNERS CLICK HERE!~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

BERETTA A400 OWNERS CLICK HERE!~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

Postby GooseHunter797 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:37 pm

Hello I am really interested in the beretta a400 what are the pros and cons of it? How do u like it? every have/hear of problems with them?I know it comes in a 26,28 and 30 inch barrel length witch one should I get? I'm 6'2"...( if that matters of my swing)

THANK YOU!
GooseHunter797
hunter

Re: BERETTA A400 OWNERS CLICK HERE!~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

Postby btw574 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:12 pm

I bought mine the first year it came out and have not had one problem with it. I did buy some Trulock chokes because I did not like the way the factory one patterned. The factory and Trulocks had the same percentage but the Trulocks were more evenly distributed.
The gun is fairly easy to clean but the only thing I always have problems with is getting the bolt handle out.
If you ever have to take out the magazine spring to clean it the retaining cap is a pain to get out and put back in seeing it is 4 seperate little pins
The biggest draw back is if you take the time to pattern it and change out the shims it it a process to do. I think I spent the better part of 2 days.
btw574
hunter

Postby Uncle Jesse » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:14 am

X2 on being difficult to change shims. Mine was an A400 Xtreme and I intended on using it exclusively last season but I just couldn't hit with it for some reason. Instead of putting time into it, I went back to my old gun and sold the A400. It would eject 7/8 ounce loads and acted like it could easily go lighter. No problems with mine but only owned it for about 4 months. Function and build of the gun was very impressive to me.

I would really like to have a talk with the person that decided to include a cylinder choke instead of improved cylinder. If you like IC as I do then you'll have to buy one up front.
Jesus Saves
Uncle Jesse
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:33 am

dam boy, how many different threads are you going to make lol. Could have just put them all together
txhunter90
hunter

Postby GooseHunter797 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:18 pm

I hear these guns don't cycle 3 1/2s... Is this true? And I'm used to my benelli supernova sights... Are they the same on the a400 unico max-4 ?

THANK YOU PLEASE ANSWER A.S.A.P!
GooseHunter797
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:50 pm

txhunter90 wrote:dam boy, how many different threads are you going to make lol. Could have just put them all together

X2 Lets get this boy decided on a gun already! :hammer:
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby GooseHunter797 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:45 pm

Haha Im 16 and want to spend my (around)1700$ on a good shotgun... (Could have a 6 in lift on my truck)but rather get a good gun... But anyways is the A400 Xtreme Unico Able to cycle 3 1/2" rounds!?

Please help me out here guys! Getting a gun soon don't worry not as many threads after that :thumbsup: :grooving: :clapping:
GooseHunter797
hunter

Postby Wack em', stack em', pack em' » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:04 pm

I've put over 2,000 rounds of 3 1/2 through my A400 no problem. I was also hunting in Canada... if you are hunting ducks and an occasional goose spread you don't need them, go with 3" shells.
Wack em', stack em', pack em'
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:52 am

So far this year my A400 is murdering geese via 3.5" Kents and not a hicup yet but this is my first year with it. With any new shotgun these days I dont think you will go wrong though. I wont lie to me the super black eagle felt twice as good and I could shoot it dang good, just ate my birdie finger up. So, we trying Beretta this season.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:33 am

GooseHunter797 wrote:I hear these guns don't cycle 3 1/2s... Is this true? And I'm used to my benelli supernova sights... Are they the same on the a400 unico max-4 ?

THANK YOU PLEASE ANSWER A.S.A.P!

I've never heard this. Sounds pretty stupid to me. If anything guns have trouble cycling lighter loads, not heavier. I have an Xtreme that I love with a 30" barrel. Only reason I got the 30" is because it's weighted more like my sporting clays gun which happens to be an O/U.

My friend has a Unico that has over 20k rounds through it. Only problem he's ever had is when he went crazy oiling up the action and it wasn't cycling shells right. But that is pretty much consistent with any other gun.

Lastly, if you plan on shooting lots of 3.5" shells, I'd suggest getting the kick off system
That rug really tied the room together...
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby mauserfan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:37 am

My son, who is 14, shoots one for trap, skeet and field. He only has about 4,000 rounds through it but it shoots great for him. Adjusting the stock was easy. We only shoot 2-3/4 loads for ducks & geese so I cannot speak to the 3-1/2 issue. Nice gun but built to be light. FYI-Rib is attached well but is a very lightly built structure. Also, being a young shooter....Remember that there is always a live round in the chamber with an auto. Good luck and be safe...mauser :wink:
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby rainingmallards » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:27 am

I have heard good reviews on them from the people I know that shoot them. Some have complained about
the lack of extended chokes available for them. I know in another thread I read that there are some new
chokes coming to fit the A400.
rainingmallards
hunter

Postby Black Brant » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:59 pm

Like mine, replaced a SBE, did add an aftermarket l/m choke tube, made a huge difference, will shoot 31/2 shells, although I don't like them, no problems entering 3rd season about 10 cases total, has the kickoff stock which I like. :beer:
Black Brant
hunter

Postby blackjacks » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:36 am

Had zero problems with mine. Once you break it in a little there aren't any 3 1/2" ejection problems. It claims its self cleaning, but you need to make sure to clean the inside of the gas cylinder real good. Theres these holes that go around the inside edge of it and i seem to have noticed that if those are clogged then it kicks more. I don't know if thats true or just my imagination. Highly reccomend this gun though.
blackjacks
hunter

Postby brianm257 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:53 pm

I've been looking at shotguns too and I think Beretta makes a nice shotgun for sure, but I think I'm going with a Benelli M2 or SBE II. I think an inertia driven shotgun makes more sense when it comes to waterfowling. I have a Stoeger M3000 now and I have probably shot 600 1 1/8 ounce loads through it with absolutely no problems(other than it kick like a mule) but I still want a Benelli....I just have to find a way to convince my wife that I need one! LOL
brianm257
hunter

Postby JWIN » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:06 pm

If your dead set on a inertia gun I would get a new A5. I have been shooting a benelli SBEII for the last 2 years and have had problems with setting it down and the bolt falling back and getting that "benelli click" I got a new 3.5" A5 and haven't had a problem within the 500 rds I have shot to date. The bolt on the browning has a lot more force when it shuts and I do not see it being a problem. I do have a 400 exteme on the way so we will see how it compares.

Also, if you go with the A5 you'll save a few hundred bucks :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
JWIN
hunter

Postby brianm257 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:37 pm

JWIN wrote:If your dead set on a inertia gun I would get a new A5. I have been shooting a benelli SBEII for the last 2 years and have had problems with setting it down and the bolt falling back and getting that "benelli click" I got a new 3.5" A5 and haven't had a problem within the 500 rds I have shot to date. The bolt on the browning has a lot more force when it shuts and I do not see it being a problem. I do have a 400 exteme on the way so we will see how it compares.

Also, if you go with the A5 you'll save a few hundred bucks :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am going to have to look a little harder at the A5! I'm kinda apprehensive just because its fairly new. I really shouldn't be...from my experience Browning makes excellent firearms and the new A5 will fit right in with their reputation I'm sure!
brianm257
hunter

Postby johntmeyer » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:23 am

you wont have to buy another shotgun and youll love it
bought mine last season dropped in water pulled up and still killed
cycled through 2.75 3 3.5 inch without jamming - no reason just seen if it could cycle
new kickoff system freaking awesome
johntmeyer
hunter

Postby SlinginSteel » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Bought mine about a month and a half ago. The thing is a killing machine. Some people have had issues with 3 1/2's jamming in the gun. Checked out 2 of my buddies who were having this issue and they just didn't clean all the factory grease out of the guts of the gun. After that they've been great.
"Thank God they don't shoot back!"
SlinginSteel
Newb

Postby reb » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:28 pm

Will be starting my 2nd season with an a400 xtreme and xplor. Both are great guns and you won't find any better imo. Mine are 30" and I haven't had any problems at all.
reb
Newb

Postby fax6202 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:42 am

I have two, and I rotate for both competitive sporting clays and hunting. I easily have 20k through my first one and have not had a single issue. I replaced the recoil spring at 15k, on the advice of a Beretta gunsmith I shoot with on a regular basis. Cannot comment on 3.5" shells as I have never shot them, dont know why anyone does to be honest. I have taken them through the ringer; snow, sleet, rain, mud, etc. You cannot go wrong with a Beretta, especially not this one.
fax6202
hunter

Postby deepmarsh1 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:42 pm

This is my second season with the xtreme. Only issue I've ever had was when it flew out of the bed of the Polaris and landed in about 8" of mud. Took me a while to find it. I sloshed it around in the water of a flooded rice field to get the mud out of the barrel. I continued shooting it that afternoon but it was having a tough time cycling. I poured some oil in it and she kept on eating. All these inertia fools that say they wouldn't have a gas gun because you have to clean it more would freak if they saw my a400 that day.
chris_k wrote:An expensive acrylic Duck Commander call is like a 1981 Buick Lesabre with a fancy paintjob and 22 inch rims. $ spent on the exterior ... Nothing to show for under the hood.
deepmarsh1
hunter

Postby skcud » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:53 am

you won't go wrong with the 400 shooting mine for the 3 third year now just keeps going strong also if you want an inertia gun get a benelli.

Skcud
skcud
hunter

Postby Hat Flats » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:06 pm

JWIN wrote:If your dead set on a inertia gun I would get a new A5. I have been shooting a benelli SBEII for the last 2 years and have had problems with setting it down and the bolt falling back and getting that "benelli click" I got a new 3.5" A5 and haven't had a problem within the 500 rds I have shot to date. The bolt on the browning has a lot more force when it shuts and I do not see it being a problem. I do have a 400 exteme on the way so we will see how it compares.

This an easy fix for $15.00 you can get a Wolff XP recoil spring and your gun will be much faster and more reliable, you will have to drop it to pop the action open.

Kurt
Hat Flats
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum