Case vs. Sling

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Case vs. Sling

Postby IdahoSkies » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:07 pm

Well, I have been lugging my 1187 around and I think its about time I got it out of my hand while I am hiking in. So what are the pros and cons of a sling vs. a case? Why do you use what you use. If I want a sling, I need to add a swivel. Easy to do, but should be mentioned. I have other scatter guns with a sling but wanted to know what others are doing and why. Thanks.
IdahoSkies
hunter

Re: Case vs. Sling

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:03 am

Well I have a case with a sling. Winning. I like to hike with mine in the case just so it doesn't have a chance to get best up on some walks in. I also like to have my case in the blind, it's usually what I will rest my gun on. Also I hate shooting with a sling because I have had it get caught on parts of the blind.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby Idaho Savage » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:52 am

Sling, no contest. From the moment I pull it out of the truck, I open the action and put that thing on my back for the boat ride until we get to the blind. Exception being if it's raining or snowing but as you know, that's few and far between here.

Real advantage of a sling is after the hunt--gun gets air dried and doesn't have a chance to fester in a case. Just obviously be sure to unload it and open the action so those around you can see it's unloaded.

The other advantage is when I have to go out into the spread during the hunt to switch batteries, etc. Put the gun on my back because you KNOW birds will come in when you least want them to--especially when you're switching stuff up because they haven't been coming all morning! :no:
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Cases and slings perform two different functions.
Consequently, like '707, I use both. The gun stays in the case until I get out of the boat/truck. Then, it gets slung on my back...usually.
If you normally sling the guncase on your back for the walk in, then that's probably best....except you then have to worry about where to keep the case during the hunt. You'll have to figure out yourself what works best for you.
mudpack
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:05 pm

A few years back I started carrying my guns in a case that has a sling. Keeps my guns looking purty. Seems like all the scratches and dings my guns used to get were to and from the blind.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:58 am

a sling, and if its persisting down with rain carry it muzzle down on your offside shoulder. you can carry more birds home if you have both hands free. case is good in the boat but is a pain in the butt once you get to where you are going.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby erp10 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:26 am

Floating soft gun case. Not sure if they do float but it makes me feel a little better taking it in the boat. It has a sling for walk in hunts and keeps your gun protected.
erp10
hunter

Postby radisson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:40 pm

I'm a fan of bringing my gun in its case for protection I'm usually carrying in my canoe,gun,decoys,and a small bag. Nothing worse then breaking off your front sight. I'm also not a fan of shooting with a sling on its just something I never got comfortable with. I also make use of the gun case as its a soft case that floats I use it as padding on my back while laying back in the canoe.
Just my thoughts
Good luck
radisson
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:54 pm

I use one of those cheap drake floating cases ($30) and have a sling on the gun.. case for boat ride and walk in, Gun sling for hanging on tree.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Skeet123 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Sling....
Skeet123
hunter

Postby qwakerwhaker » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:53 pm

Last year, I hunted with a friend who had no sling on his gun but, a sling on his case. We hunted one spot with no luck and moved to another. As soon as we arrived at the new location, a single BW came in and I smoothly mounted my gun and killed it. As soon as I loaded another shell in the tube, another Teal came in which I dumped in the water. My friend was still trying to get his gun out of the case when I dumped the second bird. He now has a sling on his gun.

Sooner or later, you will be adjusting decoys when birds will start dumping in. This seems to be a favorite tactic of pintails and black ducks. You hunt long enough, it will happen.
qwakerwhaker
hunter

Postby Normmcclean » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:04 pm

1/2 mile of mud and breaking ice gun is in the floating case till I'm set up and hunting. I can't stand swinging my gun with a big ole sling dangling so my gun is sling free only exception is turkey season. Unless you hunt a fancy club or out of a boat blind I wouldn't even consider a sling as an option. But everyone's different which is the whole reason these forums exist
Normmcclean
hunter

Postby California Sprig » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:18 pm

SLING. You don't need to add a swivel. There are slings that loop around the stock and barrel/ forend. They go on and come off quite easily and work great.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Postby GOTDUCKS? » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:23 pm

greenster wrote:I use one of those cheap drake floating cases ($30) and have a sling on the gun.. case for boat ride and walk in, Gun sling for hanging on tree.

^^^^This. :thumbsup:
GOTDUCKS?
hunter

Postby TEN GAUGE BBB » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:25 pm

greenster wrote:I use one of those cheap drake floating cases ($30) and have a sling on the gun.. case for boat ride and walk in, Gun sling for hanging on tree.
This is what I do also.
TEN GAUGE BBB
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:34 am

I have a sling and it's the lightest one I could find great to have for that long walk from the suv to the blind and also for use when you have to get up from the blind and have to take a leak just in case a honker approaches.
I use a sling on my gun cases when I have a long walk to the gun range I can carry two shotguns encased and a case in the suv when I am driving.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:47 pm

Both. When I get to the blind, I take the gun out of the case, fold up the case and set on it for a seat pad.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:44 pm

If I am walking in for an afternoon hunt with the chance of popping a squirrel or a jumping duck I'll sling it with two shells in the mag. If I'm going in the morning I just leave it in the case, I use a case from rogers that has a sling on it. Sometimes I'll take the sling along with me and sling the gun on the way back... those squirrels are tasty and I always seem to see them when I don't have a gun handy.

I never ever have a sling on my gun when in the blind. Too easy to snag something on the way up and ruin a chance at a bird.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum