How did this happen?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

How did this happen?

Postby AR Dave » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:43 pm

My 1100 has never failed me, in 40 yrs, until today. Or maybe I failed it. I have no ideal what caused this, barrel should've been clear, I had just shot another dove minutes before.
IMG_2097.JPG
AR Dave
hunter

Re: How did this happen?

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:46 pm

AR Dave wrote:My 1100 has never failed me, in 40 yrs, until today. Or maybe I failed it. I have no ideal what caused this, barrel should've been clear, I had just shot another dove minutes before.
IMG_2097.JPG

Therein lies your answer. Looks like a barrel obstruction to me
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Only thing I can thing of might be the wad?
Sure hate that I'll have to buy a new shotgun, just before season :devil:
AR Dave
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Looks like a wad got caught in the choke? The wonderful hing about Remington is that you can get a replacement barrel just about anywhere and for not too much $. I take it nobody was hurt?
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:00 pm

ill get that wabit, BOOOM.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby talltimber » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:34 am

Sorry about your luck Dave, but on the other hand you had quite good luck.
I blew the end off a sportsman 58 bird hunting years ago. I couldn't figure out why or how it could have happened. Backtracked to where I crossed a steep banked little creek. Muddy, slick, snow on the ground. I had half ran half slid down one bank and stuck my arm out/held my gun back when I ran into the opposing bank. Arm wasn't long enough. I found the spot where the barrel had went into the snowbank/drift where I had hit. It hadn't went in very deep, just a couple of inches. When I climbed out the other side going to my dog that was on point, I had held the muzzle up and I think that let that plug slide down a little. Mine was intact at the muzzle, but bulged/split in three and peeled one of them back toward me. I missed the bird on the first shot and shot again before I noticed it. Lol I think that's why I didn't notice the sound being different, being in an unusual setting of woods and was the first snow of the year.
I think we're both lucky.
talltimber
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:20 am

My son and his buddy got a kick out of it, calling it the Looney Tunes barrel. I noticed something on the end of the barrel and thought it was a wad, being split like that. Then realized it was the barrel. Well the boys had a good hunt and I acted as the retriever. Buddy told me to use his Super Black Eagle this year, see if I like it. He has two. So no hurry's for now. My son uses 3" shells, like everyone else, so it would be nice to not have to worry about mixing them up.

I'll find a replacement barrel for the 1100, for dove, squirrel, whatever.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:34 am

I replaced the factory Rem barrel on my 2 3/4" 1100 with a 3" Hastings Wadlock barrel. It now shoots and cycles 3" shells like a dream, not to mention so much better patterns with the wadlock barrel.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:01 pm

10gaOkie wrote:I replaced the factory Rem barrel on my 2 3/4" 1100 with a 3" Hastings Wadlock barrel. It now shoots and cycles 3" shells like a dream, not to mention so much better patterns with the wadlock barrel.

Chris

If you can't find one of those my buddy put a Remington "steel Shot" barrel on his 2-3/4" gun and it shoots 3' shells all day long. I think the serial number has a letter that you should look for to put one of these on and shoot 3" shells. If you call Remington I am sure they can give you the straight info. Probably on thier website too.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:28 pm

I think it has to be like a magnum receiver or something to put the 3" steel bbl on. I looked into it before, and found out I couldn't do it or Remington wrote not to do it, I thought. 10gaOkie, is your receiver a magnum or something? My serial is M668793V
AR Dave
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:05 pm

No, mine is not a magnum receiver. I am not the only one that has done this. Others, namely Ned Swagart has done this as well. The Rem barrel that came with mine said 2 3/4 only. The Hastings barrels are much heavier construction than the Rem barrels.
I have heard from others that Rem will tell you it cant be done. Which is not true using the Hastings barrel. I really dont see why the Rem 3" chamber barrel would not work the same way though. I dont think there is any diff between a 1100 receiver marked magnum and one that is not. The 11/87 action is the same. You cant do this on an 870 though.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:46 pm

AR Dave wrote:Sure hate that I'll have to buy a new shotgun, just before season :devil:

Not a new shotgun, just a new barrel.

Unless, of course, you WANT a new gun..........................
mudpack
hunter

Postby fordy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:50 pm

had the same thing happen to me with mud in the barrel while crawling to jump shoot. The choke saved it from actually banana splitting but it has a wicked bulge in the first inch and its now a fixed choke gun :yes:

I still shoot it and it works great. :fingerhead:
fordy
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:53 pm

I found my 26" 1100 Hastings barrel new on gunbroker.com for $125. That was a couple years ago.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:07 pm

I appreciate it, I will be looking into this Hastings barrels shortly
AR Dave
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:47 am

There are some good buys on eBay if you have the time to fool with it. You can put a 3" Remington barrel on the gun but with the single gas port it will only function with heavier loads. I would stay with a 2 port barrel.
The action sleeve is different on the Magnum model.

BTW you can chop your barrel to 18 1/2" and sell it for good $ as a HD barrel.
Last edited by z51 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
z51
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:10 am

Most all Remington 3" barrels on the market are fixed full choke with a single gas port. A few Mods were made.
z51
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:47 am

10gaOkie wrote:No, mine is not a magnum receiver. I am not the only one that has done this. Others, namely Ned Swagart has done this as well. The Rem barrel that came with mine said 2 3/4 only. The Hastings barrels are much heavier construction than the Rem barrels.
I have heard from others that Rem will tell you it cant be done. Which is not true using the Hastings barrel. I really dont see why the Rem 3" chamber barrel would not work the same way though. I dont think there is any diff between a 1100 receiver marked magnum and one that is not. The 11/87 action is the same. You cant do this on an 870 though.

Chris

It can be done. When I called and talked to Remington (granted, this was several years ago) they said with their steel shot barrel you could safely shoot 3" shells through it even on a 2 3/4" receiver. Both my dad and I have been doing this for a few years now with no issues, however I did upgrade both of our recoil springs to Wolff extra power springs.

z51 wrote:Most all Remington 3" barrels on the market are fixed full choke with a single gas port. A few Mods were made.

That might be true of the barrels that originally came on the 1100 magnum but the new steel shot barrels have screw-in chokes...they do have the single gas port though.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:12 am

What typr of shotgun shells were you shooting when this happened? I'm just a little curious. And have you tried calling the manufacturer about a new barrell? They may hook you up.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:59 am

10gaOkie wrote:No, mine is not a magnum receiver. I am not the only one that has done this. Others, namely Ned Swagart has done this as well. The Rem barrel that came with mine said 2 3/4 only. The Hastings barrels are much heavier construction than the Rem barrels.

Chris

FYI an 870 can be converted to 3" by a gunsmith for not too much $.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:58 am

ajmorell wrote:

Chris

It can be done. When I called and talked to Remington (granted, this was several years ago) they said with their steel shot barrel you could safely shoot 3" shells through it even on a 2 3/4" receiver. Both my dad and I have been doing this for a few years now with no issues, however I did upgrade both of our recoil springs to Wolff extra power springs.

z51 wrote:Most all Remington 3" barrels on the market are fixed full choke with a single gas port. A few Mods were made.

That might be true of the barrels that originally came on the 1100 magnum but the new steel shot barrels have screw-in chokes...they do have the single gas port though.

True I just don't see many of those barrels on the used market. People are selling the old barrels and buying the steel shot barrels. Also most people don't realize how limiting a single port barrel can be ie. no dove loads, no skeet loads, just heavy loads.
z51
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 am

z51 wrote:
ajmorell wrote:

Chris

True I just don't see many of those barrels on the used market. People are selling the old barrels and buying the steel shot barrels. Also most people don't realize how limiting a single port barrel can be ie. no dove loads, no skeet loads, just heavy loads.

That's why I have 3 barrels, a 3" steel shot with rem choke, a 2.75" 24" VR fixed skeet, and a 2.75" 28" fixed full. The latter will cycle anything.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Bug Doc » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:30 am

As others have noted, you just need a new barrel (the old barrel could be shortened into a cylinder-bore home defense barrel if you want). Regarding replacement barrels, you can either get a standard 2-3/4" replacement barrel or you can get a 3" barrel (either the original factory magnum barrel or an aftermarket 'Steel Shot' barrel). The only difference in the barrels is the length of the chamber and the number & size of the gas ports. Magnum/Steel Shot barrels have a single gas port, while 2-3/4" barrels have two.

Besides the barrel, the only other difference between standard 2-3/4" guns and 3" magnum guns from the factory was the action bar sleeve was slightly heavier on the magnums, which better absorbed the extra energy from magnum loads. For many years Remington advertised that 3" barrels could be installed on 2-3/4" receivers and used for shooting 3" magnum steel shotshells, but not 3" magnum lead shotshells. This is due to some really heavy lead shotshells (especially the 1-7/8 & 2oz monsters) developing excessive bolt speed with the lighter action bar sleeves. However, when shotshell manufacturers started to pump out similarly monstrous steel loads (particularly Remington's own Hypersonic loads), Remington was forced to back-pedal and no longer advises the use of 3" steel shells in 2-3/4" receivers - no matter what barrel is installed - simply to avoid potential problems.

If you wanted to get a 3" barrel and put it on your 2-3/4" receiver, you shouldn't have any problems shooting typical 1-1/4oz 1450fps steel loads (and even 1-1/8oz 1550fps loads probably wouldn't be an issue, but I would watch for signs of excessive bolt speed). I would not suggest using anything faster in that combination. The only downside to this would be that most light target loads likely won't cycle properly. Good luck!
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby Jon Bergren » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:40 pm

I have 3" Rem barrels for my two 2 3/4 1100's as well as two Hastings Barrels. If you can find the Hastings barrel that is the way to go as they outpattern anything else made including the Mossy 935. Ned S
Jon Bergren
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum