Beretta A400 Xtreme

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Beretta A400 Xtreme

Postby mattice33 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:39 pm

I have done my homework on the SBE II, Versa Max, SX3, A391, Rem 11-87, A5, anything Benelli, anything Beretta, anything Remington, anything Winchester, anything Browning, anything inertia driven, anything gas driven. I am not against any of these firearms I have named, but on this forum it basically has told me to pick between a SBE II or a A391. I have heard a lot of bad reviews on the new Beretta A400 Xtreme. I am not a brand supporter. I am simply trying to find the best waterfowl gun on the market. I am so close to buying the A400, but many bloggers say the A400 is not superior. My main question is, if everyone is saying it is a weak gun how come there are no devils advocate youtube.com videos? It seems like on youtube there are many people who support firearms with videos, but there is not a bad review about any shotgun. Maybe I have not seen certain videos that show how a certain shotgun is not worth buying. That goes along with all the shotguns I have listed. My biggest pet peeve is that everyone says something about a certain shotgun on why it is not the best, but I don't see a SBE II, Versa Max, SX3, A391, Rem 11-87, A5, anything Benelli, anything Beretta, anything Remington, anything Winchester, anything Browning, anything inertia driven, anything gas driven fail on a youtube.com video. I hope I haven't offended anyone, but I think I bring up a good point when someone is bashing in a certain brand of shotgun. Let me know your thoughts. I am also new to this forum. There is a lot of great information I have read. THANKS!
mattice33
Newb

Re: Beretta A400 Xtreme

Postby Dirty Doug » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:59 pm

I have a 391 and I also own an A400 xtreme. I happen to love the xtreme.....there is a big recoil difference between the 391 an the xtreme (much less with the xtreme) I have duck hunted one year with it and have shot LOTS of sporting clays without a hiccup. It does seem some guys have an agenda against certain guns and push what they like....me, I could care less what you like or want to shoot. Berettas fit me well and just keep running shells without trouble so they are for me. If you like the gun and you like the feel I say you will not be sorry....go with your heart.....not someones who you don't know!!! Last thing ....if one gun was the best since sliced bread all of the other models would not exist. Good Luck with your decision :thumbsup:
Dirty Doug
hunter

Postby btw574 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:11 pm

Well I owned a SBEII and loved the gun but with shoulder and back problems recoil just bothered everything after a day of shooting. I am talking about everything for duck hunting for the day to shooting 200-300 rounds on a weekend of sporting clays.
The only problem I have had with it was it would sometimes not cycle some 2 3/4" loads.
I sold it and bought the A400 xtreme the first year it came out and have a few thousand rounds through it. I have not had any problems with it and while I still get sore from long days of shooting but it is no as bad as the SBEII was. The only thing I have done was buy a set of Trulock chokes for it as the factory one did a good job as far as percentage but they were not as evenly distributed as the Trulocks were.
My father bought a new Versmax last year and only has about 300 rounds through it and he has not had one problem with it and loves it. He shot it OK but I cannot convince him to take the time and do some testing and try changing the shims to shoot even better. He's 67 and stubborn as a mule.
btw574
hunter

Postby quanah labs » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:01 am

The A400 is an amazing gun! Got about 1000 rounds thru mine so far with no problems. Fits me great, litle recoil, and shoots where I am looking.
Hunt like your hungry
quanah labs
hunter

Beretta A400 Xtreme

Postby romeocadet08 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:53 am

You are on the right track...if you ask enough people or do enough reading you will find something "bad" said about every single gun and operating system that you have listed above ..it's all opinions and truth be told..every single gun/system you have mentioned will fail sooner or later ...they are man made!!

Find the one that fits you and your budget the best and the one that you can shoot the best with...take care of it..the "malfunctions" will happen..it's inevitable.

Beretta/Benelli always find themselves atop the list as "the best" for obvious reasons..popularity, price, marketing, craftsmanship, durability ..

I own several of both. I have shot each brands "top waterfowl" gun for years...started off with berettas xtremas 1 and 2 then switched to benelli's SBE2 ...I have been shooting the SBE2 for several seasons ...3-4 seasons now. I prefer the SBE2 bc it "fits" me better and I've become
very comfortable and confident with it..if my sbe2 failed me tomorrow I'd go back to my xtrema2 ...it'd take a little getting use to again but I feel more than confident that I'd be just as deadly with it
romeocadet08
hunter

Postby fax6202 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:21 am

20,000+ through my A400. ZERO issues. Replaced the recoil spring at 15k on advice from Beretta gunsmith
fax6202
hunter

Postby hunt4life » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:30 pm

I had the SBEII for 2 seasons, but it just didn't fit me like I thought it should. I Sold it last year and have been doing the same research as you for the past year. I finally decided to go with the a400 xtreme. Just bought it on Tuesday actually. The biggest thing that sold me is the fit/feel. I handled every single gun I was interested in and the a400 just seemed to fit better. I'm sure you have handled them too, they are all good guns. My suggestion is go with what feels/fits the best and you wont be disappointed.
hunt4life
hunter

Postby brianc142 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:43 am

I have an A400 Xtreme and love it. I've only had it one season but I've shot several rounds of sporting clays with it and so far 100%. Buy what you want. There are lemons in every make and model of gun. There is no perfect solution.
brianc142
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:41 am

mattice33 wrote:I if everyone is saying it is a weak gun how come there are no devils advocate youtube.com videos? It seems like on youtube there are many people who support firearms with videos..... Maybe I have not seen certain videos that show how a certain shotgun is not worth buying....I don't see ..., anything gas driven fail on a youtube.com video...

The only aspect of your methodology I can see that is in error is giving any authority to youtube. Youtube vids are made by your next-door neighbor. By your idiot brother-in-law. By anyone with a video camera. By fools like you and me...and we both know how much we know about anything.
Everybody says the A400 is a "weak" gun? I don't think so. The posts on your thread tell me otherwise.
If I didn't already have an Xtrema2, I'd have a new A400.
mudpack
hunter

Postby roughneck1860 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:35 am

took my a400 extreme out for the first time last weekend and perform without a hiccup. shot 4 boxes and wally world winchester 2 3/4(4boxes 20$) put a box of mixed kent #2 and bb 3in , a box of remington hyper sonic BB 3in, rusty blackcloud #2 3in and a box of heavy metal #2 3 1/2.
did not have one single problem. the only thing extra i bought for the gun was a set of kicks high flyer chokes (mod, extra full) and they work great for everything except black cloud (chokes arent the wad strippin type) but it never did jam mis fire or anything, and the felt recoil is unbelievable shoot thing heavy loads.

the only side by side comparison i have done is my roommate has the new versamax and everything is similar (as is most high end gas guns) but it did have three FTE with the lighter loads and the recoil between the two both shooting 3 1/2 mags is def more felt recoil on the versamax.
hope this clears up some ppls questions tomorrow will be the true test since waterfowl opens here in washington.
roughneck1860
hunter

Postby TKOEMUSIC » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:54 am

This is my first season shooting an A400 x. I have owned most of the guns on your list. I am really enjoying the A400, it balances well for me and I am shooting better than ever. I had some issues early with 2 3/4 shells, but after some lead through it she is working great. Just got back from SD and shot 100 shells through it and not a problem.

The gun is used mostly for Ducks with 3" #2, and I can't say enough about great it's been to have in the blind. For me there is not a better waterfowl gun out there, but as with shotguns, it's got to feel right for you.
Learning the Violin was easier than a duck call!
TKOEMUSIC
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Traded my Vinci and picked up my "used but never fired A400 Extreme yesterday. It was a display gun from Beretta that was cycled and handled a lot. Has some minor chips in the camo dip but nothing extreme. Shot about 110 rounds through it today. The first box caused jams nearly every other shot. Wouldn't cycle all the way. The gun loosened up by the next box, which was ran through as fast as I could reload the gun (with the plug out). Cycled fine then. Ran 20 3" Kent shells through it at some clays. Gun recoiled less than my Vinci but I definitely felt it. I greatly prefer the forearm on the A400. Easier to get the grip I prefer than on the Vinci's angled forearm.

Some friends also shot another 40 shells through the gun after I shot it. Initial impressions after the 25 round break in are strong. Easier to shoot follow up shots, especially with the 3" shells. The 2 3/4" target loads (1 1/8oz 1200fps) were a joke. The recoil impulse is different than on my Vinci. The cycling of the action bar in the forearm reminds me of my AR15. I can hear/feel the spring compressing/extending each time I shot. Not a bad thing, just different than what I'm used to. I'm gonna shoot another 150 rounds or so before I clean everything. How often should I clean the gas piston assembly? I was planning on every 350-500 rounds (same schedule as my AR). I'm not going to clean it every time I shoot so please don't suggest that.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby WMTribe_Kicker » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:18 am

I don't have an xtreme, but i do have the beretta a400 xplor. I think for the most part, the internals are the same or at least very similar to the xtreme. The xplor just felt better to me, do to the weight difference and the forearm. I have not had one single problem with it, and since I got it for duck hunting, I decided to get it camo dipped :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Here are the pics after I got it dipped
http://s1011.photobucket.com/user/heath ... 8.jpg.html
WMTribe_Kicker
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum