Reversing a Safety

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Reversing a Safety

Postby waterfowler82 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:33 pm

Hello everybody, my name is Justen and I am a cross-dominant shooter...
Well, ambidextrous shooter is probably more accurate. My left eye is my dominant eye, but I shoot both right and left handed. Both of my shotguns (20 ga Rem 870 and a Generic-o JC Higgins 12 ga) are Right handed pumps which I can shoot left handed, but would like to reverse the saftey so that they are better set up for shooting lefty. Have any of you guys ever heard of such a thing or have any suggestion to help me out (other than 'buy a RH'd gun...')?
Thanks in advance for all of your help,
Wrong-Handed Waterfowler82
waterfowler82
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:56 pm

I recomend that you check with a skilled gunsmith to see if it is possible. Each gun is differently made and if it can be modified.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby lumberjack » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:54 am

On the 870, it cannot be reversed. You can however buy a new trigger assembly with the safety on the other side. The other option is to have it drilled out and then switched over (not recommended).
Hunt SAFE!
A man good at making excuses is good at nothing else.
Ben Franklin
lumberjack
hunter

Postby waterfowler82 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I may give a gunsmith a call and see what he can do for me. I am sure that the trigger assembly isn't a cheap accessory, but it would sure be better than reaching around the gun to disengage the safety.
waterfowler82
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum