Browning Maxus 12ga

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Browning Maxus 12ga

Postby DuckBlind-fr » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:09 am

Hi everybody, (sorry for my english, i'm french :biggrin: )

I've a Browning Maxus composit stalker, 12ga, 3.5" chamber with 28" barrel ? What do you think about this ?

I like this shotgun but, here in France, lot of people don't like this shotgun because it's an overbore (18.80mm).

Two years ago i had a Benelli M2 Max4 (18.30mm), and it's really, it had more performance that my Maxus.

In others countries, hunters like this shotgun or not ? :biggrin:

bye :thumbsup:
DuckBlind-fr
Newb

Re: Browning Maxus 12ga

Postby 23yearsago » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:49 am

Nice gun ! If I didn't already have two good fitting/shooting shotguns,, Browning Silver and SX3, I'd have the exact gun you're asking about. :thumbsup:
23yearsago
hunter

Postby TEN GAUGE BBB » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:51 pm

DuckBlind-fr wrote:I've a Browning Maxus composit stalker, 12ga, 3.5" chamber with 28" barrel ? What do you think about this ?
I own one of these and I love it. It is a fine shotgun. I shot a few thousand rounds of all types shot in different load sizes without any trouble so far. I do like to keep it clean (this may have helped).
DuckBlind-fr wrote:Two years ago i had a Benelli M2 Max4 (18.30mm), and it's really, it had more performance that my Maxus
I am not sure what you mean by more performance. All I can say is my Maxus shoots ALOT softer than any Benelli that I have ever shot. More so when shooting magnum loads. :thumbsup:
TEN GAUGE BBB
hunter

Postby DuckBlind-fr » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:11 am

Hi,

thank you for your reviews :thumbsup:

It's true, Inflex recoil pad is fine.

:hi:
DuckBlind-fr
Newb

Postby Red Huck » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:11 am

I have one in modb, love it. Why to people in France have a problem with overbored barrels?
Red Huck
hunter

Postby DuckBlind-fr » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:53 am

Hi,

Red Huck wrote: Why to people in France have a problem with overbored barrels?

French people think that overbored barrels are less powerfull. Because in France, shotshells have a speed limit to 1350 fps for loads and 1400 fps for steel-shot.
Inflex recoil pad, overbore and vector pro system reduce the recoil but with our shotshells lot of animals aren't "good-kill" after 30 yards.

bye :hi:
DuckBlind-fr
Newb

Postby qwakerwhaker » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:36 am

I've owned a Maxus for two years now and couldn't be happier with this gun. I've shot every type of shell possible through it with no issues from 3.5" to light skeet loads. This gun really shines with the 3.5" rounds when duck hunting. We all know solid footing is needed for a smooth swing and follow through shots. I've made kills with this gun in some very ackward positions with it never pushing me out of position on the bird.

I like to keep my guns clean as well. This is necessary due to the saltwater environment in which I hunt. I just can't see spending this kind of money on a gun and not maintain it. This is very true when it comes to the choke tube area of the barrel. Whenever a friend has cycling problems, the first question I ask is when was the last time you cleaned it? You know the answer.

Browning customer service has been amazing in my opinion. They back what they sell, I've never had an arguement with them and they have responds quickly to my needs, which have been few. This is why I have five Browning shotguns in my locker.

The overbore feature does drop some FPS but, it is not noticable in hunting situations. It does improve pattern performance which is key to me. I hunt with shells that run 1300-1400 FPS reguarly and have never had a problem. Steel shot at ranges over 40 yards does not kill reliably. Different brands of ammo perform differently and the bottom line is you get what you pay for. Hevi-Shot has always been a reliable performer for those long range situations. You can kill cleanly with one shot or use a cheaper brand and water swat multiple times to kill the bird. In the end, it works out to be the same money. Nothing is better than shooting one time and watching the bird fold, cleanly killed. Well, maybe multiple shots and multiple clean kills. :smile:
qwakerwhaker
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:44 am

Well , I like over-bored guns ! With most companies going to the over-bored design for better proformance with modern
ammo (steel shot ) , is a good thing . Having a tri-bored gun for about 6 months is showing promise , with lead and steel and
with the added preasure limits , it gives more possibilities in my reloads . Wad design is the secret , ammo companies are
now in-tune to our needs , with over-bored barrels and radial pressures are more forgiving than a skinny bored gun ! :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum