i need a new o/u or SxS

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

i need a new o/u or SxS

Postby DuckManClyde » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:33 pm

Hey guys, today my dad said that hell be buying my longfowler off of me ( the 100 bucks i pitched in ). which means ill be out a shotgun before next spring. I really love the over unders and side by sides, for duck and fun shooting. I know some brands of O/Us but not much about them Side by Sides. Its old school, classic, and ill never have to worry about ole green jeans getting me without a plug. Anyways, ive looked at mossbergs, brownings, berettas ( way to spendy but still looked ), franchi, cz, stoeger, ext. but just cant decide, I need something thats higher end, but not so fancy it cant be taken out duck hunting.
Last edited by DuckManClyde on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Re: I need a new o/u or sxs

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:54 am

Cz bobwhite. Case hardened receiver double triggers. Under $800
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Re: I need a new o/u or sxs

Postby z51 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:10 am

You can find a very good used or even new field grade Browning Citori for $1500. Time to up your quality. You might keep your eye on Gunbroker they come up pretty often. Also check Buds gun shop.
z51
hunter

Re: i need a new o/u or SxS

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:22 am

Find a Weatherby Orion they are a fine O/U , You can still find NIB with a bit of research
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Hat Flats » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:13 pm

Beretta Browning or SKB with the nod to the first two, you can find them used reasonably if you look a little bit and you will never regret it!

Kurt
Hat Flats
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:02 am

Those stoeger condors are cheap and reliable. Never heard anything bad about them.
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:08 am

One of if not the only dedicated waterfowling O/U being made these days is the camo Cynergy with composite stock and full camo in a couple patterns. They aren't the cheapest but do have quality materials and the fit & finish is very good.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:08 am

apexhunter wrote:One of if not the only dedicated waterfowling O/U being made these days is the camo Cynergy with composite stock and full camo in a couple patterns. They aren't the cheapest but do have quality materials and the fit & finish is very good.

I agree. I have 2 Citoris, a 12 and 20 that get taken out only when it's nice. They're too nice to get soaking wet and beat up in most duck hunting situations. I have a Cynergy on the way which will probably see more use than my SX3 this season. Cheapest I could find it was 1600 on gunbroker. Their are a few on there but the price is a little higher.
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:20 pm

The cynergy looks like a beautiful gun, but might be out of my price range...IYO what would be the better buy;? a supreme uplander or condor by stoeger, the mallard or canvasback by CZ, the mossberg maverick or silver reserve in either o/u or sxs. These are my most " realistic " priced guns. Im getting things narrowed down, i just need more opinions.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:47 pm

The best things I've heard for your price range would be the CZ Canvasback. Pay a C note or so and have it dipped and you might have a pretty darn good waterfowl O/U.
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby nvduckman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:50 pm

The baikal O/U (mp310) and SxS (MP220) look interesting.
nvduckman
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:38 pm

hahah nooooo, camo dips on over unders are uuuuuuuugly. And those baikals look a little crude dont ya think? I found a baikal MP310 on gander mountain that doesnt look half bad!
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:26 pm

I just looked at Gunbroker and you can by a nice Weatherby Orion for around the same money as you would spend for a CZ Canvasback and the Orion is a lot nicer and better gun
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby simplepeddler » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:35 pm

Take a serious look at the Miroku's.
They were imported by Charles Daly in the 60-70's

They can be found from 500-1000 bucks.

Miroku is who makes the Citori we know today.........
I picked two up just this week 600 each.....
simplepeddler
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:59 pm

I know i shouldn't be so hard about this, but a Japanese gun kinda turns me off. It says outstanding quality and performance, but so does every gun website out there. and no MSRP on anything :huh:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:15 pm

I guess Id rather have a good quality Jap gun verses a decent quality Russian gun, but that just my 2 cents worth
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby simplepeddler » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Duck man.........
I am refering to the OLD Mirokus.........Used is the way to go......

Again the current Citoris are made there, and I know Winchesters in the past as well.

My "go to" gun is the 686 Onyx though.....
simplepeddler
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:48 pm

My choice is a Yildiz O/U. After I bought mine, I sold my Citori and 686 Beretta. I like the Yildiz just as well. It has auto ejectors, single selective trigger and 3" chambers. They come with Briley chokes and Briley does the service on these guns. They are imported from Turkey and they use Turkish walnut which is some outstanding wood. Acadamy Sports are the only importer and sell these guns in their stores for a little over $400 new.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:47 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:hahah nooooo, camo dips on over unders are uuuuuuuugly. And those baikals look a little crude dont ya think? I found a baikal MP310 on gander mountain that doesnt look half bad!

crude....crude....crude....wash your mouth out young man :fingerpt:
built like a brick pooping facility maybe :huh: but never crude!!!!
see if you can find one of their sxs older models, super reliable you just need to get way down on the stock as they shoot high.
the u/o have a good name too..the rabbit board used them over here for years. and as for the singles...I own 2 and bro in law a rifle.
buy a bakail and spend the money you save on some decoys and go shooting till you save up enough for whatever gun you want to end up using,chances are high the old reliable will stay with you and get out of the cupboard more than the new fancy pants if weather is crappy or you going to me muddy or bloody...sometimes its good to have a workhorse vs a show pony :thumbsup:
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:26 am

Elvis Kiwi wrote:
DuckManClyde wrote:hahah nooooo, camo dips on over unders are uuuuuuuugly. And those baikals look a little crude dont ya think? I found a baikal MP310 on gander mountain that doesnt look half bad!

crude....crude....crude....wash your mouth out young man :fingerpt:
built like a brick pooping facility maybe :huh: but never crude!!!!
see if you can find one of their sxs older models, super reliable you just need to get way down on the stock as they shoot high.
the u/o have a good name too..the rabbit board used them over here for years. and as for the singles...I own 2 and bro in law a rifle.
buy a bakail and spend the money you save on some decoys and go shooting till you save up enough for whatever gun you want to end up using,chances are high the old reliable will stay with you and get out of the cupboard more than the new fancy pants if weather is crappy or you going to me muddy or bloody...sometimes its good to have a workhorse vs a show pony :thumbsup:

hahaha thats what i meant by using the word crude. but if gander mountain carries the m310 ill take a serious look at that one.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:36 pm

I've been looking at the sxs and I read a lot of mixed things when it comes to the triggers, that sxss work much better as double triggered guns. Can anyone vouch for what I'm reading?
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby Anthonyl » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:41 pm

I have a CZ Canvasback and I really like it. I put a couple of Carlson choke tubes in it and she rocks. I've used it on Sporting clays and ducks and it has always delivered. Cabelas is running a special on them right now, I believe.
Anthonyl
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:35 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:I've been looking at the sxs and I read a lot of mixed things when it comes to the triggers, that sxss work much better as double triggered guns. Can anyone vouch for what I'm reading?

twin triggers are faster than single with selector...argueable or matter of choice.
sxs better in tight space as opens less than o/u to reload ...o/u can be a pain to get bottom barrel loaded in tight space.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby Okie Ducker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:14 pm

The Baikal made shotguns are tough as a tank but not much on feel. SKB shotguns are real nice for the money. Most are 2 3/4 but there are some 3inch mags out there. Sometimes you can come across some great deals on them. May have to open up the choke to accommodate steel loads.
Okie Ducker
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:31 pm

does blueing scratch? cause if not id definitley want that over the flat black coating on the 870s and my longfowler.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free
DuckManClyde
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum