i need a new o/u or SxS

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: i need a new o/u or SxS

Postby kgrant » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Matte Blueing is the worst IMO I am a gloss guy . matte rusts and scratches really easy I had a benelli Super nova in matte that literally rusted before my eyes one hunt. as far as o/u options I bought a Tri-Star Hunter mag in MOBD that shoots 3/12 and I love it its a great gun and MSrp is about 600 bucks. has barrel selectors and extractors. like I said I love it
kgrant
hunter

Postby Windrider » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Everything gets scratches except diamonds.

If you want to shoot steel in a sxs then CZ has a pretty good solution. Heavy enough to not beat you up, but light enough to not feel like you are swinging a 2X4. Double triggers are reputed to be the most reliable choice in a Turkish SxS.

Personally, I'm looking for a beretta GR-2 in 20ga.
Windrider
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:02 am

kgrant wrote:Matte Blueing is the worst IMO I am a gloss guy . matte rusts and scratches really easy I had a benelli Super nova in matte that literally rusted before my eyes one hunt.

Same, right where the rib meets my reciever theres some rust spreading cause the matte must have chipped away or something, noticed that after our first foggy moist weekend shooting trap. only thing keeping it at bay is a toothbrush and rem oil.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:25 pm

I've decided to keep the two separate, ill get a budget o/u for trap ( most likely the supreme condor ) and a budget side by side ( also likely to be a stoeger, probably the uplander) i saw the abuse my longfowler took this weekend and i dont want that for a nice trap gun. On another note, how often do gun companies update or improve a model? cause most readable reviews online are from 06 -09 saying the uplander supreme is nothing but problems. ( ill be getting the simpler double trigger model, seems to have less issues) im just wondering if im screwing myself or if these issues are likely to have been fixed. Thanks
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:15 pm

so you could get a 2nd hand workhorse for in the mud n blood and a better finished show pony for wandering around the traps with??
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:39 am

yea, having two guns would keep the volume of shooting separate. so i wont have as much wear and tear on just one or the other.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby Mostafa » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi Duckman

If I were you I'd get a nice O/U which you'll maintain instead of 2 moderate quality guns

Personally for O/U , I'd stick to Browning , pick a Citori 28" or 30": beautiful , sleek & effective & you can use it as all around shotgun .

Good luck with your choice .

Best wishes
Mostafa
Newb

Postby Tim Terrell » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:12 pm

You could do worse than finding a clean, used Beretta 686 Essential. The price won't break the bank either.
Mine has been a trusted friend in both the marsh and the uplands.
--Tim
Tim Terrell
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum