Shot gun purchase

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Shot gun purchase

Postby dleonard » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:05 pm

going on first duck hunt and need to buy a shot gun, don't know what to buy ?? barrel lenth? what should I look for when buying 12 gage 20 gage???? some help please. and what type shells?
dleonard
Newb

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:01 pm

Congratulations! :salude: As far as getting your new shotgun, you need to decide first of all what guage , what kind of stock (wood or synthetic) that you want. Then I would recommend a longer barrel length like a 28 or a 30 in. It is all personal preferance but, I like a synthetic stock w/a 28" barrel in 12g. 3 1/2" chamber, pump action. It is the most versitile duck weapon you can buy. It has the flexibility of using smaller 2 3/4" shells up to 3 1/2" mags (which is comparable to a 10g). You might want to consider a Rem. 870 express ultra mag, or a Mossburg 835 ulti mag. Each will run between 300-380 $. I think that the Mossburg is a better deal because of its thumb safety (the Rem and most other brands have trigger guard safeties).

Good Luck,
-SR
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby travo » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:19 pm

absolutely right on target. 28" barrel, ported, backbored, camoed, synthetic, MOSSBERG ULTI-MAG. i'd trade mine for an expensive italian gun,but then trade the junkpile foreign gun in and get 3 mossbergs. cant go wrong.
junior member of ODHA,incorrigible
travo
hunter

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:23 pm

Mossberg 500 is a pump shotgun and fairly affordable. I have seen some good prices on the 870 express. I would not worry about geting an ultra mag. Get a gun that shoots 2 3/4" and 3" shells called a magnum. Barrel length is going to be standard for those like 26" or something and that just fine for starting out. You should get a accu-choke on the mossberg or remi-choke on the express where you can change the chokes and all of the ones coming with the new guns sould handle hevi-shot and steel sheels, but make sure you ask them on it. Put in the Modified choke for ducks.

On shells. You should by several different kind and pattern your shotgun to see which kind shoots best out of your gun. If you don't have time just get some #2 steel laods in 3" and you should be able to kill some ducks if you lead them on the shot. Swing through, Bang, dead duck. :thumbsup:

I forgot to add. If your made of money and want to get an auto loader do it. They are nice to shoot but you have to make sure their clean and maintained or they could jam. Pumps are like work horses. You beat them and they just keep on slammin'.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NS39340 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:05 pm

i would get an 870 express magnum with the 28" barrel. its very very dependable and inexpensive. if all you hunt is ducks, you dont need a 3.5"
NS39340
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:33 pm

Dieonard: get a BPS (Browning Pump Shotgun) in 10ga - that's right, 10ga. - w/ a 28" barrel. :thumbsup: Some will say that the ammo's dear. Perhaps; however, you'll shoot fewer shells/ bird. Some will tell you to get the 12ga 3.5 because it has [i]nearly[/i] the power of a 10ga. Why settle for nearly? If you go after geese as well, you'll really appreciate the 10ga. (If, only if, however, you're dead - set on a 12, then get a Rem 870 express pump.)
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby mud duck » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:09 pm

like most people have said, it comes to a personal preference, what feels right, what price is right etc. I wanted a gun that will kill anything from quail, chukkar, pheasant, duck, goose, dove. I am only 5'6", and prefer a quicker swing, so I went with a 26" barrel on a Benelli Nova. It has a synthetic stock, Max 4 camo, vented barrel, 3 choke tubes, holds the world record in most clays broken in one throw, and is a benelli for 320.00. For my money that's hard to beat.
mud duck
hunter

Postby mud duck » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:11 pm

Also forgot to add that it will interchangeably and smoothly shoot 2 3/4, 3" and 3 1/2" shells.
mud duck
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum