Should I get a new gun?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Should I get a new gun?

Postby brucemacp » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:08 pm

I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a new gun for next years season. I have an 870 Wingmaster that's 25 years old chambered at 2 3/4 cuz that's what most shotguns were chambered to shoot back then. Most guys now are shooting at least 3s and alot 3 1/2s. Whats the difference? Distance, pattern?? I still get lots of birds and I love the gun and I hate change but new technology is hard to overlook I just need to know why.

Thanks
Mac
Kobie the wonder dog says" Hunting seasons over? Wake me up around noon"
brucemacp
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:14 pm

Here is the difference between 2 3/4, 3" and 3 1/2". Just more pellets in the air. There is no more speed or increased killing distance. I honestly can't tell a difference in ducks between 2 3/4 and 3 1/2. Geese I definately think a guy has a better chance with 3" or 3 1/2.

If your happy with your old gun why change? Sounds like you answered your own question....

:salude:
Last edited by 98ramtough on Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:40 pm

Older guns are proned to having thier chokes blown out with steel, and, I always like buying a new gun...I say "yes"...Get Ya One!
I bought a new Nova that was on sale this year, and I tell ya....It knocks the crap out of em. I dont sky bust, unless it's the last day of the season, but, Im convinced the pattern I'm getting out of the Nova is better than that of my Beretta, wich is a "nicer" gun. I could have spent more, but, wanted a "do all cheapo" that I could still get sleep if it got knicked or had a problem. Shop around, shoulder a few...till ya find one that fits your pocketbook as well as your shoulder....Y'all have a nice day!
:salude:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby hawkdog » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:48 pm

My dad has hunted for 40 something years and he still wont use anything but 2 3/4 inchers for ducks. If your bringing them into your decoys you need nothing more. Hell my buddy killed a 12lb. goose with one shot using 2 3/4 #2 (we were duck hunting and it came in at 20 yds.

I use 3 inch High Velocity Steel in BB and it works for me, never have used a 3 1/2 inch.

Get another 870. They chamber them in 3 and 3 1/2 and are one of the most reliable guns ever made.
hawkdog
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:48 am

I would get another gun, but.... If YOU like the gun you got, and you are getting lots of birds with it then why are you asking us... You know the answer to that ? yourself

hope this helps,
-SR
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Coho » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:44 am

Buy a old 3" 870 WingMaster at a pawn shop or swap meet. They were built to last back then. It can have blueing rubbed off, bad finish on the stock.. Just check the guts to see she's working. Rustoleum spray paint will fix the rest.
Fold 'em,
Coho
Coho
hunter

Postby travo » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:43 am

or, if you are just concerned about lack of firepower, and love the gun, go getcha some hevi-shot. i withheld buying some for 2 years because of the price, but after i tried it, i realized that it works. i definately am not a skybuster, but many time when the birds were skirting the outside of the dekes, it is nice to know you can just switch shells and how alot more downrange killing power. i think a 2-3/4 in hevi-shot shell will do anything a 3 or 3-1/2 in steel shell will do, even more. yes, they are spendy, but use your steel when you know it works, and have a box of hevi-shot handy just in case. having the gun as long as you have, i bet you shoot it well. in any case, just try a box of hevi before spending the money on a new gun-you will thank me. :yes:
junior member of ODHA,incorrigible
travo
hunter

Postby brucemacp » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:49 am

I appreciate the help evryone. I guess I did kind of answer my own question but just wasn't sure exactly what the dynamics of the different chambers were (thanks ramtough). I may just pick up a 3" or better anyway God alone knows you can't have to many guns.
Kobie the wonder dog says" Hunting seasons over? Wake me up around noon"
brucemacp
hunter

Postby hawkdog » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:11 pm

Make sure you can use heavy shot in your gun before you try it. It can do a number on guns that aren't made to stand it.
hawkdog
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum