eh another ? for the 935

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

eh another ? for the 935

Postby Waterfowl_Widowmaker » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:28 am

How bad does this thing kick i just read an article that said u know when u pull the trigger and i am recoil panzie :umm: cause i am 17 and look like an 11 year old and have a speical cond. that doesnt enable me to even hold a heavy gun up :thumbsdown: which isn't cool when ur trying to hang with a bunch of experinced shooters
why do whales beach themselves?
Waterfowl_Widowmaker
hunter

Postby travo » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:31 am

its kind of a catch 22 situation. a lighter gun,you feel more kick, but less kick in a heavier gun. id go to a semi-auto, but as much as i hate to say it, not the 935,because they wernt made to cycle 2-3/4 inch shells, which would probably be better for you to use,considering the recoil predicament. maybe a beretta? you can get used ones pretty reasonable, and the gas-powered action does a great job of bleeding off the recoil. yeah, i just looked in my gun book and the beretta al-390 is the lightest semi-auto at 6.4-7.2 lbs. they are a little spendy,new price, but ive seen them used for well under 500$. if worried about lack of power, get some hevi-shot in 2-3/4 in. no 4's and drop birds way further out than your 3 inch, 2-shot steel shootin buddies. mod choke usually works best. i personally dont use semi autos for duck hunting because the weather gets real nasty were i hunt, and semi-autos are prone to jamming in the cold. just make sure to take alot of extra time to keep your semi auto clean,and you should be ok. ive got a neighbor who loves his al-390, and has shot light loads in it for years, and has had no problems keeping up with the boys.best of luck to you :welcome:
junior member of ODHA,incorrigible
travo
hunter

Postby hawkdog » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:15 pm

You don't need a big gun to keep up the other guys. Do what travo said or get a 20 ga. and shoot heavy shot or another lead alternative. If the birds decoy you can kill them no problem. Just practice.
hawkdog
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:24 pm

I agree, having a big gun isnt what makes you good (even though they can come in handy). Actually some of the best shooters I know use smaller guages/loads/guns.

-SR
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:14 pm

Heavy guns are not always the awnser. I just bought a 20 gauge 870, and with a little practice 3" 2s and 4s kill them just as dead as a SBE at 25 yards. If it is just gonna be a duck gun a semi auto 20 gauge will be fine.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby tstrong » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:56 am

My son has a 20ga nova. Perfect gun for kids. Great for doves, but the ducks have to be within 25 to 30 yrds. It shoots 3" shells and he's been shooting 2's. Ran out of shells and he grabbed my 870 12ga and it was a big difference. That's all he uses now. He's 14. If your buying a waterfowl gun I would suggest a 12 ga unless you have money to purchase another gun next year. As for the 20ga, that's now my 9 yr old daughters gun, she'll be shooting skeet this summer for her 1st hunting trip next Sept.
tstrong
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:24 pm

Come on, guys: big guns are where it's at! Even AlaskaRedneK admits that it helps - & you have to trust a guy who has the Confederate Cross on his avatar. I shoot 'em in the dekes; still, I'd never be w/o my 10ga. Just get used to the recoil. I always regard recoil as the "price of admission." You'll never notice it when you're shooting a duck or goose. So get the 935, shoot the 3.5 rounds. You'll never notice.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum