Mid-barrel bead, is it helpful?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Mid-barrel bead, is it helpful?

Postby drew_timothy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:20 pm

Just thought id post up something on this, most of the shotguns ive owned havent come standard with a mid-barrel bead, but I recently picked up a mossy 500 that came with one stock. I personally found it distracting, and that i ended up looking more at lining those two beads up than at my actual target. Anyone find the two beads helpful? Maybe if i shot with it on a bit more id learn to like it but i think if your gun fits properly you shouldnt need that middle bead anyway. I ended up removing it in the end.
drew_timothy
hunter

Re: Mid-barrel bead, is it helpful?

Postby B.E.Nelli » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:30 pm

I hate shooting without one! If you shoot more with it you won't have to consciously line them up. It will just do it.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:18 am

If you are wingshooting correctly you shouldn't use a bead at all. You point a shotgun, you don't aim it. Some instructors take the beads off all together. On the other hand if it works for you go for it, but if it doesn't get rid of it. Wingshooting is highly personal and what works for one will not work for another. If you have a style that works for you, don't mess with it. Take the bead out. put a flat screw in its place. Also, I took one off a gun because it kept getting caught on burlap on the blind messing up my shot.

The only time I find one usefull is if I am turkey hunting when I am aiming the gun.
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:57 am

Shotguns have beads??
mudpack
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:23 am

Absolutely useful! It helps me make sure I have the gun in line, its the first thing I check when I pull the gun up. Then I just point and shoot.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby mikeg1005 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:25 am

Poor man's gun fit solution.. get the beads aligned means you are looking down the center of the rib/will have correct POA/POI.

As far as front bead goes... I think they have their place in hunting... finishing off a crip'd bird on the water, or shooting one that is hovering over your spread requires "aiming" rather than point and swing.
mikeg1005
hunter

Postby z51 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:22 am

NO
z51
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum