Breaking in a 930WF

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Breaking in a 930WF

Postby Batemaster » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:54 pm

Hello guys. I just got a great deal on a 930WF in Max4. Never had a semiauto before but doing a little research some require a slight break in. I picked up some different loads today to try out and was wondering what you all thought? It's the 28" barrel model which I am assuming should be able to cycle the light loads. I also have 10 rounds of 3" 00 buckshot which I will fire first I think to loosen that spring up a bit. Any other loads you all recommend?

Batemaster
hunter

Re: Breaking in a 930WF

Postby z51 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:44 pm

Before you shoot all those shells, detail strip that gun and get all the original grease out of it. Really scrub it. Coat all of the moving parts very lightly with CLP like Break Free. Now cycle the action by hand about 100 times. Go out and shoot those 1290 fps game loads. If they cycle you are good to go.
z51
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:05 pm

z51 wrote:Before you shoot all those shells, detail strip that gun and get all the original grease out of it. Really scrub it. Coat all of the moving parts very lightly with CLP like Break Free. Now cycle the action by hand about 100 times. Go out and shoot those 1290 fps game loads. If they cycle you are good to go.

This. Mossberg packs enough Kosmoline in their guns to grease the tracks of an M-1 Abrams tank. Get it thoroughly cleaned first and you should have no trouble with it. :thumbsup:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Batemaster » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:25 pm

I am picking it up tomorrow and already had plans to field strip, clean, and lube with Breakfree CLP. Does a little CLP go a long way on these? Mainly on the rails?
Batemaster
hunter

Postby Batsto » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:47 am

Clean it and shoot some heavy loads! You will like 930.
Batsto
hunter

Postby z51 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:29 am

Batemaster wrote:I am picking it up tomorrow and already had plans to field strip, clean, and lube with Breakfree CLP. Does a little CLP go a long way on these? Mainly on the rails?

Like I said ALL moving parts.
z51
hunter

Postby A5Gunner » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:40 am

Yeah, ya gata clean all the gunk out then start with a thin coat on everything. There shouldn't be any breakin with any modern firearm for it to function properly. An initial strip and clean should be all that is needed. Of course it is more fun to have to break in the gun by shooting all those shells so carry on my friend! :thumbsup:
You ain't right.......kinda touched in the head.
A5Gunner
hunter

Postby Batemaster » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:56 pm

Yes it is fun!

Wasn't as bad as I thought it was. I scrubbed all the parts down as much as I could with CLP then dried then lubed the rails and other metal parts I could find. I only placed a few drops on the rails. I am going to pick up some kind of different solvent where I could let the bolt parts sit for a few hours.

Are the bolt and the rails on the gun the MAIN parts that will cause cycling issues?
Batemaster
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:00 pm

Batemaster wrote:Are the bolt and the rails on the gun the MAIN parts that will cause cycling issues?

If the 930 is like my Beretta, Browning, Winchester, and Remington autoloaders, those parts will give you the least problems.
Main areas to keep clean and lubed are the springs (recoil and magazine) and the gas piston and mag tube that the piston rides on. A little oil goes a long way. A thin film of RemOil does a great job, no matter what some over-lubers say.

Bolt and rails can run just fine dry.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Batemaster » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:16 pm

mudpack wrote:
Batemaster wrote:Are the bolt and the rails on the gun the MAIN parts that will cause cycling issues?

If the 930 is like my Beretta, Browning, Winchester, and Remington autoloaders, those parts will give you the least problems.
Main areas to keep clean and lubed are the springs (recoil and magazine) and the gas piston and mag tube that the piston rides on. A little oil goes a long way. A thin film of RemOil does a great job, no matter what some over-lubers say.

Bolt and rails can run just fine dry.

Sounds good! :thumbsup:
Batemaster
hunter

Postby Cerberus62 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:12 pm

I just picked up a new 930 WF Thursday and shot it that night, basically right out of the box.

I haven't seen cosmoline on a new gun since some Chinese SKS in the late 80's.

The gun came assembled and well oiled. I took it apart to make sure everything was in place, wiped it down with a cloth, then ran through 75 rounds of 7/8 and 1 ounce handloads using TiteWad doing about 1200 fps. The gun functioned perfectly from the first shot to the last. I opened it up when I got home and it was still pretty clean. I wiped it down and lubed lightly with CLP and that was all.

I wasn't surprised because I bought a 930SPX last year and had the same experience, basically no break in required. I don't think you need to go out of your way to use heavy loads first unless you want to.

I'll take it again this week and try some 3/4 ounce loads on skeet, I'll let you know what happens.
Cerberus62
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum