Shotgun for 8 year old?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Shotgun for 8 year old?

Postby glen1978 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:52 am

I shoot a Beretta 390. Is there anything else?? LOL!
glen1978
hunter

Postby Okie Ducker » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:40 am

Something else to consider is the recoil of a light gun. I remember my dad taking me out and letting me shoot his old Mossberg 16ga bolt action shotgun. It was very light and kicked like mule causing me to close my eyes and flinch when I'd shoot it. :crying: Took a while to get over that bad habit. Maybe a single shot 20ga would work? It would teach him to make every shot count. :huh:
Okie Ducker
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:57 am

get a box of light 2 3/4 loads for your gun and let him take a pop at a duck once and a while. light 2 3/4 loads wont kick much out of that gun.
Pigeons-231
Geese- 206
Ducks-37
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby glen1978 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:59 am

Grandad had an old Mossberg 20g bolt....lol! Also had a Belgium Browning Sweet 16 that I cut my teeth on. I did think about the old singoe shot idea. Been a many a duck knocked down with a single shot!
glen1978
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:59 pm

Too muzzle heavy or the front stock is too far forward?

This is the issue I found when I started my son. While the LOP and barrel are shortened on many youth guns the front stock and length of the action are not. That leaves the kid "reaching" and fully extending his arm for the front stock making the gun seem muzzle heavy. Winchester seems to have the forend set back a bit farther making a little easier reach for short arms. at least it was easier for my son. If you look at an 870 youth you will see a long forend with probably a 2-3" gap between the rear and the reciever and another 2" where the stock is cut down for the ejection port. When you look at a winchester the forend is shorter and butts up against the reciever. This allows someone with short arms to grip the gun a bit further back and have some bend/flex in the elbow giving them a bit more support. Winchester also seems to have a slightly shorter stroke. The downside is that it is a stiffer action than the 870 but that's not all bad for a new shooter.

Here are pictures for the comparison.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=winchester+youth+shotguns+20+gauge&qpvt=winchester+youth+shotguns+20+gauge&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=BF848AF59DA79294AD361EB4C7B3CC5D5D9BC0CA&selectedIndex=7

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2013/05/17/1634308_03_remington_870_youth_20_gauge__640.jpg

And a mossberg is somewher in between.........
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby glen1978 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:15 pm

Well we were just poking around in Walmart and let him check out that Remington.....need to go to Bass Pro or Cabelas where he can see and shoulder several of them. Im thinking what Im gona do is let him just go with me till Christmas then buy him a shotgun for Christmas and let him single shot it the rest of the season. THIS will just depend on how he does going with me to start. Who knows.....he may hate it. Duck hunting aint for everyone.
glen1978
hunter

Postby d_money » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:42 pm

We'll this is my opinion I'm not going to impart my views on u like some people seams like u have a fairly good judge of character for your kid. Here is what I did with my son last year he was 7 I found out my dad had my old 20ga hr from the late 70's it was cut down for me when I was about 8 my dad had it restored. Anyway i guess I was bigger than my son at 8 cuz he had to reach to get to the trigger. He ended up killing a coot and a duck last year but by the end he was scared of the recoil. So this year I was going to buy him the mossberg 510 youth best youth pump in my opinion lightest and forend is very far back plus with spacers adults can use it. But with the season coming up I asked him if he was going to shoot at ducks in the air this year he said yes but looked hesitant. So I have two more kids after him to go through this so I purchased a rossi .410 single shot youth and I'm still going to get him the mossberg 510 when he is done shooting both singles. The .410 3" win xpert steel loads have about 100 pellets of 6's. Plenty of pellets to take down a duck at close range. We will be giving my son the first shots this year that are usually like 15-20 yards. Btw my son is 8 now and is big for his age he plays nose tackle and guard in football but still will be shooting a .410 this year.
d_money
hunter

Postby d_money » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:46 pm

Oh u can get two singe shots for the price of one pump and that will last him of a long time.
d_money
hunter

Postby glen1978 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:01 pm

Sounds like him....if they had football where he goes to elementary he would definetly be nose guard material. His little brother was 60# when he was 4 and is built like a brick crap house. Got a little more fat on him than his big bro but is a HOSS! He will hit you in the arm like a teenager. I talked to his mom tonight and we agreed he needs to set out the first part at least and will re-evalute for Christmas. We were planning to get him a "rifle" of some sort because he likes to shoot "long range" with me....LOL!
glen1978
hunter

Postby d_money » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:46 pm

Look into a .410 also if u have a good spot to shoot coots kids don't care if they are ducks or coots. Last year I took my son out to a spot that is a good afternoon shoot but is always loaded with coots so I took him early around 2pm and let him mess up the coots he was so stoked to kill stuff. I let him smash on the coots till like 4pm the set up and ended up killing 6 good ducks and he killed like 15 coots. Plus some good work for my dog by the end he was waiting for them to start flying to shoot but again consider recoil I think that day was when he started getting scared of the 20ga. I only paid $120 out the door for the new Rossi .410 single and some are cheaper I think the wood stock version is only $98. Consider that.
d_money
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:05 am

d_money wrote:We'll this is my opinion I'm not going to impart my views on u like some people seams...

There's a difference?
mudpack
hunter

Postby glen1978 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:40 am

Haha, its all good guys! This is a good discussion lets not get this off track.
glen1978
hunter

Postby BuckCreek » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:43 am

I got my 7yr old, hes around 65 pds, a 20ga tristar semi auto and with light loads it has very little recoil. I took it to a gun smith and had the stock cut down. Hes pretty proficient with it for being 7 but hes been shooting a pellet gun for 3-4 yrs now. He has shot a squirrel and 10 doves with it this year. Hes going on his first youth deer hunt tonight taking a buddys 870 jr youth 20ga because it throws a better slug and that seems like a good gun as well. This tristar comes with 2 stocks so he will have several years with it plus ive got another up and comer that will take it over in about 6yrs.

*Update* First night was a success shot a button buck at 30yds with the 870. Hes pumped for gun season in november now and youth duck season.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
BuckCreek
hunter

Postby glen1978 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:34 pm

BuckCreek wrote:I got my 7yr old, hes around 65 pds, a 20ga tristar semi auto and with light loads it has very little recoil. I took it to a gun smith and had the stock cut down. Hes pretty proficient with it for being 7 but hes been shooting a pellet gun for 3-4 yrs now. He has shot a squirrel and 10 doves with it this year. Hes going on his first youth deer hunt tonight taking a buddys 870 jr youth 20ga because it throws a better slug and that seems like a good gun as well. This tristar comes with 2 stocks so he will have several years with it plus ive got another up and comer that will take it over in about 6yrs.

*Update* First night was a success shot a button buck at 30yds with the 870. Hes pumped for gun season in november now and youth duck season.

Thats AWESOME!! Cant wait for some of that!!
glen1978
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:32 pm

Ive read all the posts on this thread and unless I missed it, I didn't see anything about this youngster attending a young hunters safety class. I don't know every states age rule but most of them I believe require the youngster to be 10 years of age. With that said, I started my oversize 10 year old Grandson with a single shot 20 gauge, 1 shot is plenty in my opinion for an inexperienced youth, he has enough on his mind and doesn't need the added burden of trying to pump another shell in. Also in my opinion the easiest way to teach a youngster to shoot a shotgun, is to buy cheap plastic Frisbees and use them instead of blue rock. They are about 3 times easier for the kid to hit and can take several rounds before going in the trash can. I've used the Frisbee method for my daughter and 3 nephews when they were all 10 and today they are pretty fair country wing shots. Ive also suggested this method to fathers during the young hunters safety clinics I've instructed at with lots of positive feedback

As usual JMHO
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby glen1978 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:49 pm

In Texas you have to be 9 to take the safety course. Not sure if there is any "young" courses. I worked several years in the prison system as an armed transport officer and also on our in house SWAT team so I can teach him anything he needs to know about gun safety. Dont take that as in I know everything.
glen1978
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:58 pm

Glen, I think most fathers can and do teach their youth good gun safety, but requiring a youngster to take a safety instruction clinic just adds to their resume if you will. I understand that some states don't require this course though
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby :-) » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:06 pm

glen1978 wrote:Maybe your right, me and the g/f have been back and forth about it. I keep thinking if he aint in the action, wet and cold is gona turn him against it. I can say for me if all I could do is go and watch I wouldnt be going.

Some of my best hunting memories didn't include me carrying a gun.

Make it fun...I take my 5 & 6 year old "girls" all the time. They love to go hunt ducks, doves, turkey, deer, rabbits, and they fish also. My 6 yr old won a lifetime fishing license this year in a tournament.

When they get cold we stop hunting, and build a fire to stay warm. If they get wet, tired, or bored we go home! I've killed enough critters to make me happy...it's all about them now.

Buy him a 410 and let him start out on squirrels & rabbits. Y'all will all enjoy it, and when the GF sees his smile you'll get a nice reward.
:-)
hunter

Postby hdunn49 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:32 pm

get one of those cheap azz single shots sold at sporting good stores for like $100. never spoil a kid right away. could loose interest, and spoil him after a few seasons of putting in some work. oh yeah, he might not be able to hit anything, but tell him he shot the bird you actually shot if things get real slow.
hdunn49
hunter

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:59 am

single shot break open .410 and let him finish your birds off. have a crack when some come in if he can swing it ok. just keep range short and make sure to pattern gun to find out what will work with it. you may have to alter pistol grip to make it shorter to trigger for wee hands or he may creep up when reaching for trigger. we did this with a carved hunk of jandel and insulation tape.
keep hunts short
take loads of food
keep wee tike warm
take him home at FIRST sign hes had enough.
get him a shaker mallard call and teach him how/when to use it
dont forget the camera.
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby WMTribe_Kicker » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:13 am

These are all great suggestions.

My dad got me a 410 single shot when I was about 6 years old to deer hunt with. I carried it empty for about a year and a half while hunting, and then my dad took me dove hunting with it. While dove hunting, if I could see the bird, I would shoot at it, and my dad would never say anything about the range. He was just pleased to see me having a good time, and the quality time we were spending together.

I killed a couple of doves that year, and the first day out, got my first deer. I then went on to a single shot 20 gauge, and then a 12 gauge fox double barrel. After a little bit with them, my dad bought me a benelli super black eagle, and I haven't looked back :biggrin: :yes: :lol3:
Marsh Mutt Pro Staff
Low Tide Waterfowlers
WMTribe_Kicker
hunter

Postby Cold » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:37 pm

First off, I'd just like to preface everything I'm about to say by also saying I'm not a father, and I wouldn't presume to tell a father how to handle something like this, or even to make suggestions...I'm only offering reflection on how my own father handled this exact coming-of-age process. In my opinion, he knocked it out of the park, and while we differ even to this day (I'm in my late 20s) on some aspects of the hunt, that's due to difference in personality, and skill strengths and weaknesses in our respective hunting styles.

That out of the way, when I was at the stage your little hunter is in now, I was a bit older (PA hunting laws at that time basically said if you weren't going to be 12 that year, you didn't pull the trigger, no exceptions). Like him, I'd been shooting a BB gun since I was maybe 4 or 5, and a .22 for nearly as long, and was good with both.

Additionally, I had exposure to the realities of hunting from a young age as well, seeing and touching the dead deer dad would bring home, having a collection of old licenses and empty shell cases and a few other bits and pieces of hunting ephemera.

When I was maybe 10, dad started taking me on squirrel hunts. The mid-October weather was nicer, the woods livelier, and the action (usually) more frequent than the long cold december deer hunts. He told me that if I did okay with squirrel, he'd let me come along for a deer hunt or two. For me, being with dad in the woods was the main goal, so I had a blast going for squirrel, even on one memorable hunt where it was pouring rain from the night before, through dark that day. Didn't matter. I was hunting. Made it through the cold days of deer too. (On this note, though, there is certainly a point worth making for a kid losing interest because he isn't actually hunting. For those long deer hunts, I'd have much rather been camping with dad than hunting, but a day in the woods is a day in the woods...a sensibility that I keep to this day.)

When it was time for me to hunt, dad started me with a .410 pump. I was a skinny, small-framed kid, and a lefty to boot, so he didn't want to start by spending on anything specifically for me, until he knew I was ready. After the 410 came a 20 ga single shot. It kicked a bit more, but wasn't a problem for me. The night before one hunt, I went for the 410 instead of the 20 I'd been using, and when dad asked why, I explained that I'd rather have the follow up shots than the extra BBs. Not long after that, he and my grandpap surprised me with an Ithaca M37 20ga (bottom eject for my wrong-handed self), which I've used ever since.
Cold
hunter

Postby glen1978 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:09 pm

Good stories guys! My dad never hunted that I recall.....now my Granddad on the other hand was a squirrel slayer. I kinda missed out on that stuff but I remember being with my dad on other stuff and your right just tagging along was all I really cared about. This thread has really opened my eyes to alot. He dont need the latest and greatest and honestly for lack of better words.....hasnt "earned" it. A good ole single shot it will be. Im not a fan of 410's really though.....
glen1978
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:08 pm

glen1978 wrote:Good stories guys! My dad never hunted that I recall.....now my Granddad on the other hand was a squirrel slayer. I kinda missed out on that stuff but I remember being with my dad on other stuff and your right just tagging along was all I really cared about. This thread has really opened my eyes to alot. He dont need the latest and greatest and honestly for lack of better words.....hasnt "earned" it. A good ole single shot it will be. Im not a fan of 410's really though.....

My first shotgun was a little Remington 11-48 in 28 gauge, but back then--1966--we were shooting lead. (wink)
Today I'd opt for a 20 gauge... and never look back.
--Tim
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby pantano » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:55 pm

I asked the same questions with my boys as they grew up. The most important things to me are (1) maturity and (2) gun control. Carrying a gun in the field is a big deal. There's no going back after he pulls the trigger. Will he not to make a bad, and potentially fatal, decision or mistake in the heat of the action? Will he be able to have safety on the top of his mind at all times? (muzzle control, finder off trigger, safety, etc. etc.) For me, seven-going-on-8 just seems too young, and 4' 3" 80 lbs a little too wispy. Sounds like he will have the opportunity to carry a gun soon enough, so perhaps it would be good to teach him the ropes first without a gun. I took my kids into the field starting at 7-8, but they did not carry a gun until they were 10.
pantano
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum