Duck Hunting Forum banner

How do you like your nova?

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  birdgunner04 
#1 ·
looking for new shotgun. just wondering how the benelli nova performs etc.

What is a reasonable price for a used/new nova?

#3 ·
I got one at Bass Pro Shops Spring Sale for $199 + Tax and $10 background check. It knocked the crap outa dove. Ive used it several times for dux this year, and, knocks the crap outa them also. Hunted all morning in the rain yesterday, rolled in the mud all morning today...has performed flawlessly. Best $200 ive spent for hunting stuff yet...I say " Get ya one"...Y'all have a nice day!
:salude:

#4 ·
Don't get me started on the POS rattle box. Get a real workhorse shotgun. BPS, Remington, or maybe even a mossberg. My brother has a nove, and it still shoots but he sees the light also. We hunt tons, and I don't like it. I think it is a ccheaply made pump. Forearm doesn't fit right and we have been having firing pin trouble. Also shells don't like to come outta the magazine. If I am not home he takes my 870 or the beretta. I think Benelli makes some fine firearms (SBEII, M1, etc) but the nova isn't one that I would want to own.

My .02

#6 ·
The forearm on my 870 is tight. It has no side to side movement. My little brothers moves from side to side so much I suprised we have never rattled up a deer while fall turkey hunting. The Nova is the only gun in the Benelli clan that I wouldn't care to own.

#8 ·
I have used a nova for 3 years. I have not had a problem with it at all. I have probably shot 5000 trap loads out of it during the summer months. I hunt hard in all kinds of weather and conditions and have never had a misfire, or a feed problem with any length shell. I am not the best at regular cleaning but the nova has had no problem shooting after being a little neglected.

Jim S.

#10 ·
Almost all novas have a forearm rattle. It still works fine, but kind of anyoing. The gun is a work hores and you won't find a pump for under $400 in max 4 camo, synthetic stock, 3 choke tubes, shoots light 2 3/4 loads to magnum 3 1/2 loads. I've had mine for 1 year and shot many birds, but am experiencing pickyness with what shells I can use. Mine does not cycle well with Remington or Winchester loads. It has a problem ejecting and feeding them. Therefore, I can only use Kent Fast Steel. My other friends with the gun have not had this problem. One good thing about this gun is that if you don't like it, you won't loose money if you sell it.

#13 ·
mine has been great. the forarm does rattle but so what. if i was useing it turky hunting or for deer it would be an issue but i don't. i have the all black one and noe rust! can't believe it. not even my mighty 870 can match that. shoots great looks great. i feel it is quality.

had

#15 ·
don't know about that. but i clean my gun after every hunt and spray it down with rusty duck before i go. we have had alot of rain here.

had

#16 ·
Carefull...the barell will rust if stored wet, what I heard anyways...I look at my Nova as disposable...thats why I went for a low end duck slayer. If it breaks, thow it away and get a new one. You can still get 5 or 6 Novas for the price of an upscale gun, and, you will still sleep at night after youve dropped in the swamp. Bottom line...Cheap, versatile, kicks like a mule, they kill em. Y'all have a nice day :thumbsup:

#18 ·
Novas are a pretty good bang for the buck but really sloppy in my opinion. Would take my 870 over it any day of the week!!! sights are ok but not something i would use. And if your a smaller guy like myself, the pump is a little stretch and reach to use compared to the 870 also. Many other guns out there are better for around the same price, just my .02

#19 ·
Get and 870! Don't know the exact price difference but I think an 870 3 12/" 12 ga. exp. synthetic is under 300 at Walmart. The 870 is the best pump gun made since the model 12. I have had most all the others at one time or another and I have shot a nova and wouldn't trade an old beat up 870 for one or for any of the new pumps currently made except maybe a BPS or ithica, but that's only if I had another 870 in the closet.

#20 ·
The Nova is a lot of gun for the price. I have owned Rem. 870's, Win. 58 and 59 autos, and a Steven's side by side. The autos would not chamber properly when I was hunting in freezing weather and snow conditions, so I got rid of them. Got rid of the Stevens side by side when they went to steel shot. I gave the 870 to a brother for his first gun. The 870 was a 60's model and it was my favorite gun to shoot, never failed. I bought the Nova because pumps are about all that I will trust now and I hunt in salt water so I don't have to worry about rusting. With the synthetic stock I don't have to worry about the stock getting wet when I am sitting in a rainstorm either. My son and I will go out on weekends and put over a 100 rounds through it shooting at clays. When I hunt I will mix 3in and 3½in. I have never had it not cycle a shell. I don't worry about the rattle because I hunt form a boat or duck blind and it don't rattle just sitting there. Don't worry about recoil either becuase steel is not half as bad as lead.
You have to be careful which 870 you buy now because the cheap ones (like the ones from Wal-Mart) are made with pressed parts and rolled pins. You will pay a lot more for a quality 870 (I believe around $700.00 to $800.00) than you will for a Nova.
When I bought my Nova it was a toss up between the Mossberg 835, (a really nice waterfowl gun with overbore and porting) but the rust free water repellant Nova won and I am not one bit sorry.
oldhunter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.