best lubricant to ue in freezing conditions

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

best lubricant to ue in freezing conditions

Postby muskymagoo51 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:35 pm

hey guys I heard somebody mention clp or something like that for lubricating when its cold. I alaways used hoppes number 9 and rem oil or hoppes oil. in my gas guns to be honest the night before i would wipe off any excess oil to the point it was dry. bought a super vinci and i have read you gotta keep these inertia guns lubed up. i cut my teeth on 1100s and 1187s but due to quality issues with big green decided to go with benelli, took a hardlook at the A 400 beretta but was tired of gas ports and fowling that come with gas guns. Also how dirty do the trigger assemblies get on these inertia guns compared to gas and how much maintenance dop they require. my 1187 super mag was really finicky with 3 1/2s and had to be super clean. And to be honest the super vinci scared me a bit. just out of mycomfort zone, with the twisting pulling and turning no pins or caps etc. Hiope it is all its made out to be, looked really serious at the sbe 2 but thought lets think out side the box and try something new. gonna let the old man hammer away with it this year anyway,, got the partsd to fix my 1187 and its back in action dont know for how long though, everything in it other than trigger assembly, reciever and barrel has been replaced
muskymagoo51
hunter

Re: best lubricant to ue in freezing conditions

Postby mudpack » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:40 pm

Search.

(PS, you made a terrific mistake getting the Vinci over the A400, you know that don't you?)
mudpack
hunter

Postby muskymagoo51 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:44 pm

time will tell, but like I said didnt want another gas gun. Thinking bout a A400 target model , that will be next summer though. with the benelli vs beretta it seems like a ford chevy type of thing. I am pretty sure they both are the industry leaders, tied for number 1, clays- beretta is king as far as autoloaders go
muskymagoo51
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:28 pm

should have got the sbe2. just had to say it :biggrin:
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby duck501 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:06 pm

Tray slip2000. me and a hunting partner in Colorado use it and it did well. many hunts in 1'degree wather.
duck501
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:38 pm

g96.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby delaware waterfowl » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:45 pm

just get some break free clp. put it on your rails and i light coat on your barrel to prevent rust. its an all temperature lubricant and an anti corrosive lubricant. perfect for duck hunting. wouldnt use anything else on my SBE2
delaware waterfowl
hunter

Postby MSduckslayer2013 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:19 pm

inertia = less cleaning.... unless your shooting crap remington loads and even then it wont need a clean for another half a year :yes:
MSduckslayer2013
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:25 pm

delaware waterfowl wrote:just get some break free clp. put it on your rails and i light coat on your barrel to prevent rust. its an all temperature lubricant and an anti corrosive lubricant. perfect for duck hunting. wouldnt use anything else on my SBE2

:ditto:
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Mallard Merlin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:32 am

Eezox is some good stuff and lasts a while.
Mallard Merlin
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:02 am

A very light coat of RemOil is all I use on my autoloaders (gas guns). The coldest temp I've used it in is minus 4 deg F. It works well.

As you can tell from the replies, there are a lot of gun lubes that will work in your gun....as long as you use a minimum amount.
mudpack
hunter

Postby bigrobbierob » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:10 am

Balistol. You can thank me later.

Oh and stay the hell away from RemOil. Stuff dries up while the Balistol won't.
bigrobbierob
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:51 am

bigrobbierob wrote:RemOil.... dries up...

:lol3:
mudpack
hunter

Postby erp10 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:58 am

erp10
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:36 pm

Mallard Merlin wrote:Eezox is some good stuff and lasts a while.

I used Eezox when I had the gun shop, wipe the gun down when delived and all set until it sells.
Use it now since we do a lot of seaduck hunting in temps down to -9, no rust no jams even when soaked in salt water. :thumbsup:
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby gooseman1 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:04 pm

FP10!
gooseman1
hunter

Postby The Drake » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:34 pm

FP10
The Drake
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:43 am

You should like the SV you bought eveyone I know does. I have recently started using frog lube on my sbe2. Idk how it does with cold weather but as of now I like it. Really beads up water well. Your trigger assemble will not get very dirty at all. You will be amazed at how dirty gas guns are compaired to intria. Before Thursday night I will pull my bolt out coat with frog lube and hunt the next few days. Maybe once a week I will recoat the bolt (depending on how much shooting I do and how wet my gun gets). Every two weeks I break it down and clean all the debre out.
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby utarchery » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:08 pm

break free CPL or Hoppes elete
utarchery
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:14 pm

muskymagoo51 wrote: benelli vs beretta it seems like a ford chevy type of thing. I am pretty sure they both are the industry leaders, tied for number 1, clays- beretta is king as far as autoloaders go

Yes, you will find no Benelli's being shot by serious (or even semi-serious) clay shooters. Beretta's are undoubtedly the most popular brand among experienced target shooters.
mudpack
hunter

Postby mysticwolf » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:45 pm

+ 1 on frog lube, I have used it for 2 years now and love it, it leaves no finger prints after wiping it down, I have shot 300 rounds through my AR-15 and only wiped it down , havent cleaned the barrel and it looks like its never been shot.
Love to watch um back peddel when the blind opens up
mysticwolf
hunter

Postby MSparks909 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:48 pm

Slip 2000.
MSparks909
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:26 am

I make my own (there is also Eds Red that is simular) Works in ANY temp and also has a side benefit if keeping everything clean while well lubed. Synthetic ATF, Kerosene and acetone and depending on how thick I want it I may add some mobile 1 to the mix. I can use it in a spray bottle all the way down to a tiny needle oiler and I have never experienced any wear or malfunction with it in use.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:34 am

mudpack wrote:
muskymagoo51 wrote: benelli vs beretta it seems like a ford chevy type of thing. I am pretty sure they both are the industry leaders, tied for number 1, clays- beretta is king as far as autoloaders go

Yes, you will find no Benelli's being shot by serious (or even semi-serious) clay shooters. Beretta's are undoubtedly the most popular brand among experienced target shooters.

In my area and experience, Beretta is the popular O/U but in semi-autos I see more Remingtons than Berettas on the field. The only reason I do not own a Beretta Semi is the safety location SUCKS. :mad: The safety belongs behind the trigger, (same reason I sold my Nova and wont buy a Vinci) :biggrin:
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dukhntr » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:42 pm

I've used breakfree for a long time in my benellie and it's been great for sure. People on here say you have to use a minimal amount or it will freez. I normally apply a thin coat on the rails that the bolt rides on and it's good to go. I've been in the field before and just sprayed the piss out of it and it never froze up either. Good stuff and easily available....I also run it in my gas guns as well...
dukhntr
State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Forum