Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby Scotty64 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:10 am

I recently purchased a Beretta A300 Outlander (Camo version). I bought the gun because is was light shouldered up nicely, price was good and it had extentions for the stock if needed. I have put 3-400 rounds of 2 3/4 sporting clay loads through the gun and it has really done well. It has only jambed twice, both were because the gun was very dirty after putting 200 rounds through the gun.
I do have several small complaints about the gun. First, the gun is very, very hard to clean and reassemble. I clean my guns after it is fired every time. I hate cleaning this gun. The trigger is hard to get in place and put the pin through. My second complaint is the camo is flaking off. I have not called Beretta, but I am sure they will say it is not covered under the year warranty. I did not like the brass pin sight, I switched to a tru glow and the gun is spot on for shooting clays. The red light pipe is bright and easy to acquire the target with. :thumbsup:
I am looking forward to duck season to see how it performs. I bought a code black choke for the gun as the factory chokes are nothing to brag about. I will be shooting Winchester 3" #2's for ducks and BB's for geese. We will see if the 3" will bring down Canada Geese.
I bought my gun for 699.00 NIB, Choke was $89 still less than the list of $825. The gun was purchased through a private dealer not a big box store.
I will keep everyone upto date on how the gun does during duck season.
Scotty64
hunter

Re: Beretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby Scotty64 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:31 am

OK, almost one season down with the A300. Here are my findings on the gun now. The gun still shoots fine. I sent the gun back to Beretta for several issues. I could not get the trigger assembly pin all the way through the hole and several areas of the camo were coming off. Beretta did fix what they called the trigger bushing they said that it was damaged. Not sure how but OK they replaced it. As for the camo, Beretta stated that this was a light coating of camo and it would chip and come off. Well, OK I can buy a little of that, but I have a Remington VersaMax and SBEII which do not chip off. The camo is completely gone off the pistol grip. The barrel has a spot that has wrinkled up and is coming off. I took the shotgun to a company that does coatings on shotguns and they told me it was not put on correctly. Beretta washed their hands of everything and told me normally finishes are not covered under their warranty. Well, I am done with Beretta 6 mo old gun and it looks like crap. If I had know that their customer service was like that, I would have spent the extra money and bought a Winchester Super X3. My error never again. The gun shots fine but the finish is CRAP.
Funny how the SBEII can be beat to hell but finish does not come off. Photos forthcoming :fingerhead:
Scotty64
hunter

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby JBNC » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:17 pm

I don't blame you for being upset, sounds like you got a gun that was not done right. I've got an A300 and have some buddies with other Beretta's and the finishes are holding up fine.
JBNC
hunter

Postby Hat Flats » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:59 pm

It's hard to get any company to warranty camo finish some will and some won't because so many things can damage it, gun solvents/oil, bug dope, hand lotion and the list goes on and on, that's why I don't and won't own a dipped gun, Painted yes because I can touch it up or remove all together if I feel the need. Resale can be tough with a dipped gun because they show wear so quickly.

Kurt
Hat Flats
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:14 am

Ill hunt with an ugly gun, what do you want for it?

I get that its frustrating to have the camo come off, and as a result I buy my guns with the intent to use (and often abuse) them. Once I have the money to "collect" guns, it'll be time to invest in my own duck property.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby kcwellington » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:39 pm

i have an outlander and i love it! i duck hunt so if my paint starts wearing or flaking off, i grab a can of krylon camo flat and take care of it. who cares what it looks like as long it drops em in the drink. combo the outlande r with an indian creek black diamond triumph tube i wouldnt trade for a SBE2 NO WAY NO HOW.
kcwellington
hunter

Postby LifeAndLiberty » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Just got my A300 outlander and noticed some finish imperfections, near where the barrel enters the receiver. Finish definitely is thin and will likely take a beating just for normal duck hunting use. That being said, it appears to shoot great and it feels and points right to me. Also want to get rid of that brass bead ... I mean even cheap mossbergs come with fiber optics nowadays. Come on beretta
LifeAndLiberty
hunter

Postby Merganzor » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:27 pm

Scotty or other 300 owner:

Is it accurate that they give a one year warranty on the gun? Thanks in advance.
WTN10 wrote:I hope a midget attacks your legs with a chainsaw.
Merganzor
hunter

Postby KRB » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:49 am

LifeAndLiberty wrote:Just got my A300 outlander and noticed some finish imperfections, near where the barrel enters the receiver. Finish definitely is thin and will likely take a beating just for normal duck hunting use. That being said, it appears to shoot great and it feels and points right to me. Also want to get rid of that brass bead ... I mean even cheap mossbergs come with fiber optics nowadays. Come on beretta

When I shot my brother's A300 I was happy it didn't have a fiber optic bead. Any of my shotgun's that had them I removed for brass or white bead. I was taught to shoot focused on the target or bird. For me fiber optic sight draws my eye to it. If your gun fit's right it should shoot were you look. If you look at your bead your not focused on the bird and you are measuring lead. Does not work for me. Best analogy I've heard is when you drive tour truck you never really look at your hood but you know it's there. That's how you want your bead. Little of thread sorry. :thumbsup:
KRB
hunter

Postby Ukcatshunter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:43 pm

I picked up my A300 Outlander today.

One year warranty BUT if you fill out warranty card within 30 days the warranty becomes 3 years.
Ukcatshunter
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum