Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderator: Quack Wacker NC

Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby Scotty64 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:10 am

I recently purchased a Beretta A300 Outlander (Camo version). I bought the gun because is was light shouldered up nicely, price was good and it had extentions for the stock if needed. I have put 3-400 rounds of 2 3/4 sporting clay loads through the gun and it has really done well. It has only jambed twice, both were because the gun was very dirty after putting 200 rounds through the gun.
I do have several small complaints about the gun. First, the gun is very, very hard to clean and reassemble. I clean my guns after it is fired every time. I hate cleaning this gun. The trigger is hard to get in place and put the pin through. My second complaint is the camo is flaking off. I have not called Beretta, but I am sure they will say it is not covered under the year warranty. I did not like the brass pin sight, I switched to a tru glow and the gun is spot on for shooting clays. The red light pipe is bright and easy to acquire the target with. :thumbsup:
I am looking forward to duck season to see how it performs. I bought a code black choke for the gun as the factory chokes are nothing to brag about. I will be shooting Winchester 3" #2's for ducks and BB's for geese. We will see if the 3" will bring down Canada Geese.
I bought my gun for 699.00 NIB, Choke was $89 still less than the list of $825. The gun was purchased through a private dealer not a big box store.
I will keep everyone upto date on how the gun does during duck season.
Scotty64
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:26 pm

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Beretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby Scotty64 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:31 am

OK, almost one season down with the A300. Here are my findings on the gun now. The gun still shoots fine. I sent the gun back to Beretta for several issues. I could not get the trigger assembly pin all the way through the hole and several areas of the camo were coming off. Beretta did fix what they called the trigger bushing they said that it was damaged. Not sure how but OK they replaced it. As for the camo, Beretta stated that this was a light coating of camo and it would chip and come off. Well, OK I can buy a little of that, but I have a Remington VersaMax and SBEII which do not chip off. The camo is completely gone off the pistol grip. The barrel has a spot that has wrinkled up and is coming off. I took the shotgun to a company that does coatings on shotguns and they told me it was not put on correctly. Beretta washed their hands of everything and told me normally finishes are not covered under their warranty. Well, I am done with Beretta 6 mo old gun and it looks like crap. If I had know that their customer service was like that, I would have spent the extra money and bought a Winchester Super X3. My error never again. The gun shots fine but the finish is CRAP.
Funny how the SBEII can be beat to hell but finish does not come off. Photos forthcoming :fingerhead:
Scotty64
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:26 pm

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby JBNC » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:17 pm

I don't blame you for being upset, sounds like you got a gun that was not done right. I've got an A300 and have some buddies with other Beretta's and the finishes are holding up fine.
JBNC
hunter
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby Hat Flats » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:59 pm

It's hard to get any company to warranty camo finish some will and some won't because so many things can damage it, gun solvents/oil, bug dope, hand lotion and the list goes on and on, that's why I don't and won't own a dipped gun, Painted yes because I can touch it up or remove all together if I feel the need. Resale can be tough with a dipped gun because they show wear so quickly.

Kurt
Hat Flats
hunter
 
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby Dog Tired » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:14 am

Ill hunt with an ugly gun, what do you want for it?

I get that its frustrating to have the camo come off, and as a result I buy my guns with the intent to use (and often abuse) them. Once I have the money to "collect" guns, it'll be time to invest in my own duck property.
Dog Tired
hunter
 
Posts: 711
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby kcwellington » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:39 pm

i have an outlander and i love it! i duck hunt so if my paint starts wearing or flaking off, i grab a can of krylon camo flat and take care of it. who cares what it looks like as long it drops em in the drink. combo the outlande r with an indian creek black diamond triumph tube i wouldnt trade for a SBE2 NO WAY NO HOW.
kcwellington
hunter
 
Posts: 774
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:13 pm
Location: Bama

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby LifeAndLiberty » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Just got my A300 outlander and noticed some finish imperfections, near where the barrel enters the receiver. Finish definitely is thin and will likely take a beating just for normal duck hunting use. That being said, it appears to shoot great and it feels and points right to me. Also want to get rid of that brass bead ... I mean even cheap mossbergs come with fiber optics nowadays. Come on beretta
LifeAndLiberty
hunter
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:14 am

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby Merganzor » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:27 pm

Scotty or other 300 owner:

Is it accurate that they give a one year warranty on the gun? Thanks in advance.
WTN10 wrote:I hope a midget attacks your legs with a chainsaw.
User avatar
Merganzor
hunter
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:03 pm

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby KRB » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:49 am

LifeAndLiberty wrote:Just got my A300 outlander and noticed some finish imperfections, near where the barrel enters the receiver. Finish definitely is thin and will likely take a beating just for normal duck hunting use. That being said, it appears to shoot great and it feels and points right to me. Also want to get rid of that brass bead ... I mean even cheap mossbergs come with fiber optics nowadays. Come on beretta

When I shot my brother's A300 I was happy it didn't have a fiber optic bead. Any of my shotgun's that had them I removed for brass or white bead. I was taught to shoot focused on the target or bird. For me fiber optic sight draws my eye to it. If your gun fit's right it should shoot were you look. If you look at your bead your not focused on the bird and you are measuring lead. Does not work for me. Best analogy I've heard is when you drive tour truck you never really look at your hood but you know it's there. That's how you want your bead. Little of thread sorry. :thumbsup:
KRB
hunter
 
Posts: 2605
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: South Shore LI

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby Ukcatshunter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:43 pm

I picked up my A300 Outlander today.

One year warranty BUT if you fill out warranty card within 30 days the warranty becomes 3 years.
Ukcatshunter
hunter
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby Champion1 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:10 am

The trigger is hard to get in place and put the pin through. My second complaint is the camo is flaking off. I have not called Beretta, but I am sure they will say it is not covered under the year warranty.?????
Champion1
Newb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:09 am

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:24 am

KRB wrote:
LifeAndLiberty wrote:Just got my A300 outlander and noticed some finish imperfections, near where the barrel enters the receiver. Finish definitely is thin and will likely take a beating just for normal duck hunting use. That being said, it appears to shoot great and it feels and points right to me. Also want to get rid of that brass bead ... I mean even cheap mossbergs come with fiber optics nowadays. Come on beretta

When I shot my brother's A300 I was happy it didn't have a fiber optic bead. Any of my shotgun's that had them I removed for brass or white bead. I was taught to shoot focused on the target or bird. For me fiber optic sight draws my eye to it. If your gun fit's right it should shoot were you look. If you look at your bead your not focused on the bird and you are measuring lead. Does not work for me. Best analogy I've heard is when you drive tour truck you never really look at your hood but you know it's there. That's how you want your bead. Little of thread sorry. :thumbsup:


Couple guys who'd seen my beat up old circa '90s Montefeltro 20ga blessed me with its brand new twin: identical in almost every way. And for a bit I couldn't hit pecans with it. The difference being that the new one still has its small optic bead, something long since knocked off both my old Montefeltro and the SBE I usually use for geese. Have no trouble switching from the new gun to either old one, but going from using either of them for long to the beaded gun still sometimes throws me for a bit.

Others' mileage may vary.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 17148
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby dwr353 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:05 pm

Rick, I am with you. I put a red front sight on my old A5 . Missed birds I never did before.
dwr353
hunter
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:38 pm

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby mudpack » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:30 am

New camo Outlander purchased in Dec '15. No issues with camo finish. No issues with trigger group. No issue with bead color. (I think red/green plastic rod for a front bead is a gimmick) No issues with hitting birds with it.
Major issue with shell feeding that seems to be curing itself as I run more shells through it.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 9239
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby stevetags » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:30 pm

Can't be bad because Mudpack owns it.....you'll see. I have an a300 with missing camo it's been sent back to beretta to be fixed because of the well known problem of the forearms breaking causing severe cycling issues. I only paid 650 for mine new but i think I should have bought a higher end gun first. They aren't terrible and my gun was out of warranty and beretta fixed it free of cost. These guns kick like a mule too hence the reason for your limb saver pads. My new maxus seems like it will be an improvement.
stevetags
hunter
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:49 pm

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby mudpack » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:30 pm

stevetags wrote:Can't be bad because Mudpack owns it.....you'll see.

You've got it backwards, tags; I own one because it is a good gun. :thumbsup:

Actually, considering the recoil pad it comes with, the felt recoil on that gun is surprisingly light. I went ahead with a Limbsaver anyway, simply because I could.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 9239
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby chasemukluk » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:11 am

Steve, are you talking about the forend breaking? Mine broke last weekend in the blind, just split down the side. I zip tied it in place and the gun still cycled fine.

I have had the gun for two duck seasons now and really do love it. It has only jammed 1 time, and that is because I put a few muddy shells in there by accident. Once I wiped it out and dropped some oil in there it cycled fine after that.

I have had trouble getting the trigger assembly pin back in. Everything lines up fine, it just seems to take a beating to get in there.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
chasemukluk
hunter
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:43 pm

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby mudpack » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:05 am

I think Stevetags was talking about the two tiny projections on the forearm where it meets the receiver. They broke off my A300 the first time I assembled the gun and have no effect on the gun's functioning.
The gun has become my go-to duck gun simply because I seem to hit birds with it better than any of my other duck guns. It still will fail to chamber the second/third round on occasion, so it certainly is not perfect. It also requires more care (and almost a third hand) to reassemble after cleaning. One tip I can give other owners of A300's is to follow the reassembly instructions in the owner's manual to the letter. You'll have problems if you don't. (This may be the problem experienced by scotty and champion?)

After using the gun the last half of the 2015 season and the first half of this 2016 season, the camo is still fully intact, just as I expect it to be. For a street price only a couple of hundred above the price of the various crapguns out there, I think the A300 qualifies to be on anyone's "consideration list".

By the way, stevetags comment about something not being bad because I own it is puzzling to me. Nothing I own is without flaws and I point out the flaws without hesitation. I must have disagreed with something he said at one time..... :rolleyes:
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 9239
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby Dave in AZ » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:16 pm

mudpack wrote: By the way, stevetags comment about something not being bad because I own it is puzzling to me. :

Lol... I got that joke immediately! ;)
Dave in AZ
hunter
 
Posts: 1193
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:43 am

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby stevetags » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:13 pm

mudpack wrote:I think Stevetags was talking about the two tiny projections on the forearm where it meets the receiver. They broke off my A300 the first time I assembled the gun and have no effect on the gun's functioning.
The gun has become my go-to duck gun simply because I seem to hit birds with it better than any of my other duck guns. It still will fail to chamber the second/third round on occasion, so it certainly is not perfect. It also requires more care (and almost a third hand) to reassemble after cleaning. One tip I can give other owners of A300's is to follow the reassembly instructions in the owner's manual to the letter. You'll have problems if you don't. (This may be the problem experienced by scotty and champion?)

After using the gun the last half of the 2015 season and the first half of this 2016 season, the camo is still fully intact, just as I expect it to be. For a street price only a couple of hundred above the price of the various crapguns out there, I think the A300 qualifies to be on anyone's "consideration list".

By the way, stevetags comment about something not being bad because I own it is puzzling to me. Nothing I own is without flaws and I point out the flaws without hesitation. I must have disagreed with something he said at one time..... :rolleyes:


No you just have negative things to say on most of your posts on here, i paid a thousand dollars for my 3.5" maxus in bottomlands camo after a 100 dollar rebate from browning, why would anyone in their right mind buy this rebranded model beretta when they could spend another few hundred and actually have a top of the line gun. Don't forget I own both. If I'm gonna buy a cheap gun like my Tristan o/u it's because there's nothing close to the same price that is similar. I look at my a300 as a mistake but no gun purchase is that much of a mistake. If you're breaking parts of your gun while assembling it for the first time it ain't the gun for me! Also occasionally failing in the the second or third round...ain't the gun for me. My a300 will serve as a backup gun in case anything happens to my maxus. It's nice to have a back up gun I wish I had one last season when my a300 became a single shot. Had to buy buismuth and run it through a 50 year old Remington model 11 that's still tickin after a hard lickin!
stevetags
hunter
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:49 pm

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby mudpack » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:28 am

stevetags wrote:No you just have negative things to say on most of your posts on here,

Wait a minute. In one post you imply that I claim any piece of equipment I own is the best, and now you say most of my posts are negative. So, which is it?
(I'll answer that for you; most of my posts are negative, including those about my equipment and those replying to posters who don't know what they are talking about.)

stevetags wrote: i paid a thousand dollars for my 3.5" maxus in bottomlands camo after a 100 dollar rebate from browning, why would anyone in their right mind buy this rebranded model beretta...

Are you saying that Beretta doesn't make the A300? Surely, I'm reading that wrong.

You didn't like the A300 you had/have? That's fine by me. I think the pros far outweigh the cons with my own A300. Different strokes for different folks, eh?

stevetags wrote: If you're breaking parts of your gun while assembling it for the first time it ain't the gun for me!

I respect your position on that issue, but what you said is this:
stevetags wrote:I have an a300 with missing camo it's been sent back to beretta to be fixed because of the well known problem of the forearms breaking causing severe cycling issues.

I was pointing out that the forearm projection breakage on my gun caused no issues whatsoever, cycling or otherwise. Maybe your forearm broke elsewhere? If so, perhaps you could clarify your problem.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 9239
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby stevetags » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:05 pm

mudpack wrote:
stevetags wrote:No you just have negative things to say on most of your posts on here,

Wait a minute. In one post you imply that I claim any piece of equipment I own is the best, and now you say most of my posts are negative. So, which is it?
(I'll answer that for you; most of my posts are negative, including those about my equipment and those replying to posters who don't know what they are talking about.)

stevetags wrote: i paid a thousand dollars for my 3.5" maxus in bottomlands camo after a 100 dollar rebate from browning, why would anyone in their right mind buy this rebranded model beretta...

Are you saying that Beretta doesn't make the A300? Surely, I'm reading that wrong.

You didn't like the A300 you had/have? That's fine by me. I think the pros far outweigh the cons with my own A300. Different strokes for different folks, eh?

stevetags wrote: If you're breaking parts of your gun while assembling it for the first time it ain't the gun for me!

I respect your position on that issue, but what you said is this:
stevetags wrote:I have an a300 with missing camo it's been sent back to beretta to be fixed because of the well known problem of the forearms breaking causing severe cycling issues.

I was pointing out that the forearm projection breakage on my gun caused no issues whatsoever, cycling or otherwise. Maybe your forearm broke elsewhere? If so, perhaps you could clarify your problem.


Beretta makes the gun yes very similar to previous models right? As far as cycling issues from the fore end, just relaying the exact explanation from beretta themselves. Maybe you should call them and argue with them. Bottom line is I bought a gun didn't last two seasons without failing and I maintain my stuff. If my maxus fails me I'll move on to the next gun as well. Similar to how you can shoot your beretta better, I can shoot my browning a lot better than any other shotgun I have. I've been doing pretty good with it this season. Every experience is different I guess. If you're happy with your gun that's great, in my opinion better guns can be had for a few more bucks. :beer:

Here's a thought, I've had a nice bull sprig on my hit list for the past few years. On occasion they show up. On occasion your a300 fails to cycle. Might be three more seasons until you have another bird like that in the decoys. Maybe you're fine with that. Maybe you occasionally go on a waterfowl hunt to Canada or Arkansas every 10 years and your gun fails to cycle on that trip occasionally. Maybe you're ok with that. I don't find myself in that category. I'll trust my browning until it proves me wrong which it may do one day.

Ps I would take a back up gun on a trip to Canada if you go.
stevetags
hunter
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:49 pm

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby jsh909 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:54 pm

My A300 Outlander required a break in period, which most semi autos do these days, once it was broken in it cycles 2.75in 7/8oz dove loads to magnum 3in waterfowl loads perfectly. With the exception of fiocchi lead loads, the 1 1/5 ounce 1330fps 2.75in shells in the Orange box. The brass on those hangs up on the way into the chamber. Never had this happen with any other load. My camo is holding up fine no chipping, shows normal wear from walking through brush and what not. The tabs on my forearm are intact. I have no issues with breakdown and cleaning. The first time I removed the trigger group it was tight and took effort to remove but I assume that is a good thing. After many many cleanings that has loosened up but not to the point of sloppy, just comes apart easier. I have put thousands of rounds through it now and it's on its 3rd waterfowl season, it's been nothing but reliable and as long as I do my part it's a great shooter. Not trying to get in on the argument, just giving my review.
jsh909
hunter
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:36 pm

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby cutm Jack » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:45 am

My outlander has also been nothing but reliable. The only reason those tabs on the forearm break is because people don't know how to seat them properly and a new forearm is like 25 bucks. The take down is also simple, I can have have both springs and the bolt out in less than 5 minutes. Granted the 300 is no silver mallard but for a $600 dollar camo gun that goes bang every time you pull the trigger it's a no brainer. I could buy 3 outlanders for the price of a higher end beretta, beneli, or browning And that high end gun might be a pos lemon. At least 2/3 outlanders will work flawlessly.
User avatar
cutm Jack
hunter
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:44 pm
Location: Sothwest Idaho

Re: Berretta A300 Outlander Review

Postby mudpack » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:12 pm

stevetags wrote:Beretta makes the gun yes very similar to previous models right?

Similar to the AL391/3901 series, quite different from the A391 Xtrema2 and A400.

stevetags wrote: As far as cycling issues from the fore end, just relaying the exact explanation from beretta themselves.

What explanation? You said you had "severe cycling issues". That's all.

stevetags wrote: in my opinion better guns can be had for a few more bucks.

Can't disagree there....depending on your definition of "a few".

stevetags wrote:Here's a thought, I've had a nice bull sprig on my hit list for the past few years. On occasion they show up. On occasion your a300 fails to cycle. Might be three more seasons until you have another bird like that in the decoys. Maybe you're fine with that.

I'm fine with that.

stevetags wrote: Maybe you occasionally go on a waterfowl hunt to Canada or Arkansas every 10 years and your gun fails to cycle on that trip occasionally. Maybe you're ok with that.

I'm fine with that, too. Every autoloader will fail to cycle at some point. It's something we just accept.

stevetags wrote: I'll trust my browning until it proves me wrong which it may do one day.

Sounds good to me.
Often wrong, never in doubt...
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 9239
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 6mmdasher, chance627 and 16 guests

cron