Should we take gun fitting seriously?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Should we take gun fitting seriously?

Postby chrisss » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:14 pm

Does everyone take their guns in to a smith to get it fitted?
chrisss
hunter

Re: Should we take gun fitting seriously?

Postby BurnettGunner » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:23 pm

No, but it couldn't hurt. I'm willing to wager that 96% of all ducks are killed with an unfitted shotgun by someone who never received professional shooting lessons.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby chrisss » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:38 pm

BurnettGunner wrote:No, but it couldn't hurt. I'm willing to wager that 96% of all ducks are killed with an unfitted shotgun by someone who never received professional shooting lessons.

I'm noticing that I shoot a little high
chrisss
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:03 pm

First of all I shoot alot. My hunting guns are set up like my competitive guns, adjustable combs and morgan style pads. You can do a lot of your own gunfitting if the gun is equipped with these two things. As for length of pull experiment to find a comfortable length with stock savers in the butt and spacers. Then to the bench and set the comb height to where you want it, then go out and shoot it on some clays, gun down and as many practical angles you can shoot safely and make some adjustments as necessary. Get a book on gun fitting.
Yes this will take some time and a bit of ammo, but it can be done.
Safe Shooting
Wayne
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:23 pm

Maybe if you struggle with shooting. IDK I feel like the whole go to a gun coach thing is stupid. Ive gone trap shooting with guys and have been with these so called "experts." Its pretty akward when you out shoot them. Sure they might have the proper form or whatever but last time I checked a broken clay is a broken clay. For some who are just starting out it may not be a bad idea.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:09 pm

If you want your shooting to improve, gun fitting should be taken seriously.

That doesn't mean you have to be fitted by a professional; many modern shotguns come with tapered spacers that will help you fit the gun yourself. different recoil pads are available that can help you adjust LOP.
However, for many like Justin here, the problem may be that they don't know how a shotgun should fit. If you are one of these, find an experienced trap or skeet shooter to help you determine proper fit. A professional gun fitter can do the job, of course, but will charge you, which is only right.
One other thing to keep in mind: not all gunsmiths are gun fitters.
mudpack
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:40 pm

I suggest every one read "The Stock Fitters Bible" by Rollin Oswald. It is one of the, if not the best book on fitting a shotgun. It explains everything in simple terms and their relationship with each other.

Sent from my furloughed Obama phone!
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:29 pm

There is a big difference in how a well fitted gun shoots , by taking the time to understand what needs to be adjusted
for proper fit . Most gun manufactures set-up guns for the adverage ( male )person but , there is an improvement to ones
shooting when it's fitted .

Also , some fellas crow about thier un-organized clay target shooting ability but , you never see thier name in the Books !
It would be nice to see thier trophies and buckles to prove how good they really are ?

Talks cheap !
3200 man
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:06 pm

3200 man wrote:Also , some fellas crow about thier un-organized clay target shooting ability but , you never see thier name in the Books !
It would be nice to see thier trophies and buckles to prove how good they really are ?

Talks cheap !

Before I started shooting only for cash :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

I don't do buckles because they don't buy loading components for me :wink: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby goose_gunner » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:44 pm

all my rifles are built to fit me but with shot guns I don't go the shore to look at them I go to try them on lol
There is a special place in duck hunting hell for sky busters
goose_gunner
hunter

Postby Hat Flats » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:08 pm

mudpack wrote:If you want your shooting to improve, gun fitting should be taken seriously.

That doesn't mean you have to be fitted by a professional; many modern shotguns come with tapered spacers that will help you fit the gun yourself. different recoil pads are available that can help you adjust LOP.
However, for many like Justin here, the problem may be that they don't know how a shotgun should fit. If you are one of these, find an experienced trap or skeet shooter to help you determine proper fit. A professional gun fitter can do the job, of course, but will charge you, which is only right.
One other thing to keep in mind: not all gunsmiths are gun fitters.

+1

Kurt
Hat Flats
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:37 pm

3200 man wrote: Also , some fellas crow about thier un-organized clay target shooting ability but , you never see thier name in the Books !

Talks cheap !

:lol:
It's funny to watch people on here talk about making 50yd shots, 60yds, even 70yds consistently....then opening day of dove season rolls around, 50+ hunters set up in one field, and I'm shooting better than everyone except 3-4 other people? Whom aren't shooting THAT much better than I am. And this happens every single year. So from my experience with that, I've concluded that it's safe to say that it's statistically impossible that even a fraction of the claims on here are true. Either that, or my population sample must be skewed significantly and all those peoples' shooting ability is drastically below average.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:41 pm

Just buy the gun that fits you. Yuppies get custom fitted guns, learn to shoot a stock gun like a real duckman
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:24 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:
3200 man wrote: Also , some fellas crow about thier un-organized clay target shooting ability but , you never see thier name in the Books !

Talks cheap !

:lol:
It's funny to watch people on here talk about making 50yd shots, 60yds, even 70yds consistently....then opening day of dove season rolls around, 50+ hunters set up in one field, and I'm shooting better than everyone except 3-4 other people? Whom aren't shooting THAT much better than I am. And this happens every single year. So from my experience with that, I've concluded that it's safe to say that it's statistically impossible that even a fraction of the claims on here are true. Either that, or my population sample must be skewed significantly and all those peoples' shooting ability is drastically below average.

I rarely take a shot at more than 50yds, because statistically the odds are against me. I don't practice those shots and I don't trust myself.

I set a decoy at 40yds and just wait until they are inside it. I still believe fitting is a win win, but I also know that many people just learn to shoot their shotgun regardless of how they fit.

NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:49 am

Aftter 4 boxes of ammo to get a limit , some hunters need to be fitted ?

With just a limit in hand and a wore-out dog , some hunters need to be fitted ?

If all your Buddies have thier birds and you're still shooting , some hunters need to be fitted ?

If you shoot all your birds on the water and one falls out of the sky , some hunters need to be fitted ?

:yes: :thumbsup: :beer:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:29 pm

If you can pick your gun up and average around 20 on the range and knock birds down. I would lean towards no, but if you shoot competition and need to tweak to the 25 mark then do it. Just my 2 cents.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:56 pm

Why be second guessing yourself if the gun fits ? It doesn't take long to understand the basics of gunfit so , do
yourself a favor and save some money on ammo .

Your hunting Buddies will like you more.........and the birds will die faster ! :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:00 pm

wanapasaki wrote:Just buy the gun that fits you. Yuppies get custom fitted guns, learn to shoot a stock gun like a real duckman

This philosophy is what I seem to see with 98% of the "duck hunters" on the marsh. It's also why they have to shoot a box of shells to collect their 6-bird limit...if they limit out at all.

My point: learning to successfully shoot a shotgun is much easier when that gun fits you properly.
Most guns fit most guys okay. If your's doesn't, then it time to change guns or have the gun fitted to you.
mudpack
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:55 pm

I think it's a good idea but it is much easier to do for competitive shooters................................ while hunting I may shoot my shotgun in a T shirts or with 5 layers of clothes on..........My LOP with the T shirt is NOT going to be the same as with a bunch of bulky clothes so trying to get an exact fit isn't really practical for most multi season hunters. Particularly here up north, unless they get set up with multiple guns.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:46 pm

"..........My LOP with the T shirt is NOT going to be the same as with a bunch of bulky clothes so trying to get an exact fit isn't really practical for most multi season hunters. Particularly here up north, unless they get set up with multiple guns."

Or they could have their stock set up so they can add or subtract LOP spacers as needed . Yes , it takes a few minutes to do . And most "hunters" just do not have the time to do it .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:50 pm

Jim wrote:I got one from Fuji and it works well for my needs. Make sure you get a large storage card in the beginning, at least 64mb if not 128mb.

I cut my stocks short for this very reason, 1/2" spacer in the summer, then to a 1/4" and eventually to none by the time season starts winding down.

NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:14 pm

So hammer you're the one who stole my medals :fingerpt:
cootlover
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:06 pm

Oldman1949 wrote:"..........My LOP with the T shirt is NOT going to be the same as with a bunch of bulky clothes so trying to get an exact fit isn't really practical for most multi season hunters. Particularly here up north, unless they get set up with multiple guns."

Or they could have their stock set up so they can add or subtract LOP spacers as needed . Yes , it takes a few minutes to do . And most "hunters" just do not have the time to do it .

But I may have those situations in the same day. I have on occasion started the day at 20 degrees and been at 65-70 degrees by mid afternoon.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Oldman1949 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:20 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:
Oldman1949 wrote:"..........My LOP with the T shirt is NOT going to be the same as with a bunch of bulky clothes so trying to get an exact fit isn't really practical for most multi season hunters. Particularly here up north, unless they get set up with multiple guns."

But I may have those situations in the same day. I have on occasion started the day at 20 degrees and been at 65-70 degrees by mid afternoon.

And that's one of the reasons I said most "hunters" do not have the time to do it .
2 threaded inserts in the stock , 2 quarter inch spacers , 1 screwdriver , takes about 10min. to change LOP . Much easier and faster to shoot a gun that doesn't fit you . And the ammo companies get more of your money .
Oldman1949
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:51 pm

Hell yes it's for real and serious. Your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun so your eye needs to align properly in order to get optimum performance. That being said, I have not done a bunch to my hunting gun. I had to lower the comb a little and it works good enough. Now the gun I shoot sporting clay tournaments with has had extensive testing and fitment done. I had a custom comb made to fit me. I need an almost parallel comb and a lot of cast-off. Much harder shots are taken at a sporting tournament so that gun needs to be dialed in.
BKScripto
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum