Should we take gun fitting seriously?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Should we take gun fitting seriously?

Postby Russ-n-Brazoria » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:10 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:I think it's a good idea but it is much easier to do for competitive shooters................................ while hunting I may shoot my shotgun in a T shirts or with 5 layers of clothes on..........My LOP with the T shirt is NOT going to be the same as with a bunch of bulky clothes so trying to get an exact fit isn't really practical for most multi season hunters. Particularly here up north, unless they get set up with multiple guns.

And I thought y'all had it easy up north, that sounds like one day in December on the Texas coast :lol:;)

What's everyone's take on patterning the shotgun before fitting? Wouldn't that also factor into ones hit percentage or another bag of worms?
Russ-n-Brazoria
hunter

Postby muskymagoo51 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:09 am

length of pull not that big of a deal. it seems drop at the comb is everything for me. You want your beads to line up with mid bead almost covering end bead. not completely. If you dont have enough drop at the comb and you dont have a parallel comb like the browning XS series you can usually lengthen you LOP with a slip on pad to get you down. If your comb to low you can get a slip on comb to bring you up, no gunsmith is needed. Pretty simple. Pick a spot on the wall mount your gun but not taking eyes of spot. then look at beads to see how they align, the gun has to be shooting where your looking without lining up beads like aiming
muskymagoo51
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:55 am

muskymagoo51 wrote:length of pull not that big of a deal. it seems drop at the comb is everything for me. You want your beads to line up with mid bead almost covering end bead. not completely. If you dont have enough drop at the comb and you dont have a parallel comb like the browning XS series you can usually lengthen you LOP with a slip on pad to get you down. If your comb to low you can get a slip on comb to bring you up, no gunsmith is needed. Pretty simple. Pick a spot on the wall mount your gun but not taking eyes of spot. then look at beads to see how they align, the gun has to be shooting where your looking without lining up beads like aiming

Actually the LOP does regulate the DAC as a longer or shorter stock changes the place that your cheek touches the comb causing the drop to change. Too long of a stock makes your cheek touch farther back making the DAC a bit more than if your cheek fell a bit more forward. With today's adjustable shim adjustable stocks the LOP should be done first to 1) permit a smooth mount without hanging up on clothing and 2) causing your face to be too close to the trigger hand. Once the correct length is established then you adjust the drop to provide a proper sight picture (looking straight down the rib or if looking in a mirror with the gun pointed at your eye it should look like a "rising sun" over the rib).

Obviously the length will change depending upon the clothing you would wear when shooting the gun at different times of the year. If you use the gun for warm and cold weather use the best bet is to first set it up wearing your parka and then fit it with less bulky clothes...you'd simply add the spacers when shooting in summer and remove them for cold weather/parka wearing shooting. Then you get into adjusting the cast to make the rib run straight away from the eye versus at a horizontal angle.

As to the original question of this thread: damn right you should take gun fitting seriously. Shooting a shotgun successfully is a fluid, organic series of movements involving eye hand coordination and good reflexes, not unlike a golf swing. doing so with an ill-fitted gun is like handing a 5'2" person a 6iron fitted to a 6'3" person...yes they can physically swing the club and make a resemblance of solid contact but being able to control the distance and direction is virtually out of the question. A shotgun that does not fit makes the task of shootign where one's eyes are looking very difficult and frustrating and it is not too difficult a task these days to taylor the dimensions to one's specific needs.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:49 am

BKScripto wrote:Hell yes it's for real and serious. Your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun so your eye needs to align properly in order to get optimum performance. That being said, I have not done a bunch to my hunting gun. I had to lower the comb a little and it works good enough. Now the gun I shoot sporting clay tournaments with has had extensive testing and fitment done. I had a custom comb made to fit me. I need an almost parallel comb and a lot of cast-off. Much harder shots are taken at a sporting tournament so that gun needs to be dialed in.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:42 am

BurnettGunner wrote:No, but it couldn't hurt. I'm willing to wager that 96% of all ducks are killed with an unfitted shotgun by someone who never received professional shooting lessons.

And...99.99% of the ducks shot at and missed...by those same guys. :wink:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:36 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote: I have on occasion started the day at 20 degrees and been at 65-70 degrees by mid afternoon.

Rookie.
:lol3:
My hunting group will have limited out and be back at home enjoying the NFL long before it gets above freezing....
:thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:39 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:
BurnettGunner wrote:No, but it couldn't hurt. I'm willing to wager that 96% of all ducks are killed with an unfitted shotgun by someone who never received professional shooting lessons.

Every once in awhile, yuchi comes up with something very insightful...and that is one of them. Right on, sir.
mudpack
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:13 pm

6 years ago I had a MX12 fitted , it gave me 4 targets to my average . I then could understand what I needed for gun fit ,
I have all my guns adjusted to fit me and this allows me 2 limits out of a box of ammo ( most of the time ) . I do reload my
steel loads along with running them over the Chrony and patterning them to findout , what choke works best for the distance
I'm set-up for .

It's a great advantage to know your equiptment is fitted to , just you !
3200 man
hunter

Postby MuddyWaders » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:59 pm

Hello to All,
My only comment on this subject is that you will never reach your best shooting potential with a gun that doesn't fit. Those are not my words but the words of Todd Bender. I find them to be true. Yes you can shoot well with a gun just pulled off of the shelf as many of us do, but you can shoot better with a gun that fits you.
Happy Hunting,
MuddyWaders
In the eyes of a tyrant the patriot is a terrorist...
We need to vote politicians who bribe voters out of office...
The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.. Aldo Gucci
MuddyWaders
hunter

Postby Smith » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:03 am

As has been said; a fitted gun can help you reach your shooting potential. So the question becomes ... do you really care about reaching your shooting potential? Frankly, I don't. Duck hunting involves a lot more than shooting. Some guys think it is all about the calling. Others are all about dogs and retrieves. I don't give a damn about either one. I like boats. Old classic wooden duck boats in particular. And I like decoying ducks into situations where the shots become ridiculously easy. I don't really like shooting all that much, other than at ducks. I don't think I have taken a shot at anything other than a duck in the last 3 years, yet I've only lost one cripple during that time, and that was because I took a really stupid, bone-headed shot at a bird I really shouldn't have taken, and normally wouldn't have taken. I'm sure my shooting could improve if I spent more time and money on it, but it just isn't that important.
Smith
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:32 pm

mudpack wrote:
Yuchi1 wrote:

Every once in awhile, yuchi comes up with something very insightful...and that is one of them. Right on, sir.

Even blind squirrels find acorns! :yes:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:05 am

Shooting a fitted gun is a bummer , I don't know why anyone would take the time or money to have one fitted ?
With all the fun I see Guys shooting evey shell they bring out , to wound / cripple birds and having to chase them
around the marsh / field , wringing necks , biting heads while I'm in the blind trying to work birds with one bird shy
of a limit with 10 shells shots . Come-on Fellas all I need is one more bird , with you hollaring across the pond to your
Buddies asking for more shells , you are scareing the birds for everyone . We know your gun doesn't fit you as when
you do hit one , it hits the ground / water still alive . :biggrin: :lol3: :lol3: And everyone has to wait while you chase/
find it .

Learn how to center-punch your birds , with a gun that fits ! And you'll save on ammo /being friends to everyone !

:beer:
3200 man
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum