steel shot full choke stoeger

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

steel shot full choke stoeger

Postby lidenl » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:36 pm

What is the science/logistics behind Stoeger's warning not to shoot steel shot with a full choke on a Condor O/U- Is there a way to do this safely in order to hunt geese?
lidenl
Newb

Re: steel shot full choke stoeger

Postby MarkM » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:42 pm

Aftermarket choke tubes will allow you to.

Shooting modified choke with steel will pattern like a full is what I have always been told.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby z51 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:04 pm

lidenl wrote:What is the science/logistics behind Stoeger's warning not to shoot steel shot with a full choke on a Condor O/U- Is there a way to do this safely in order to hunt geese?

They don't want you to bulge the barrel or separate the midrib on a cheap shotgun. A quality extended choke might work, it's your gun your money.
z51
hunter

Postby Red Huck » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Why use a full choke with steel?Just makes for a long shot string. Think 3d.
Red Huck
hunter

Postby BBK » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:23 pm

lidenl wrote:What is the science/logistics behind Stoeger's warning not to shoot steel shot with a full choke on a Condor O/U- Is there a way to do this safely in order to hunt geese?

Because the constriction is quick and tight, the large shot could bridge and swell up your choke/barrel. With some aftermarket chokes you can get a full that shoots steel, but usually they are the constriction of modified and labeled "full" because they are for steel shot.

Anyways, when you pattern your gun you will see that a full choke likely won't pattern well for you at all with steel. Especially for geese, since you will probably be using bigger shot. #BB usually likes modified choke, anything bigger and IC usually patterns better than full.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:04 pm

i asked the same thing a while back, i've been using the extended mod. and Imod and they are working great for me. At the same time im shooting 3s and 4s not bb or whatever your using.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:19 am

Steel shot will pattern tighter in general either way so you would get a full pattern out of a mod choke. The stoeger chokes are very short which which means the constriction is not gradual enough as others have said. If you want the tighter constriction you will need to get an extended aftermarket choke.
mawtrfowler
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum