Duck Hunting Forum banner

Browning gold 10 gauge vs Remington sp-10

11K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  baltz526 
#1 ·
Hello all I am wanting a 10 gauge. I have narrowed it down to these two models and just can't decide. I do know that the Remington is not being made anymore. Also please don't comment trying to get me to get the 12 gauge 3 1/2 I won't. Thanks

:help:
Dan

#3 ·
mudpack said:
Okay, are you asking which one we think you should buy?

If so, put each one to your shoulder. One of them should stand out as the one for you.

Don't ask us to do your homework, the duck season is open and we have things to do.
All I was asking is if you have any experience with these two models they both fit well I was just wondering how reliable they have been for you thanks

Dan

#4 ·
Dan, there are four of us in our hunting group, 3 of us shoot the Rem and the other shoots the Browning, none of us have had any issues with our guns thru the years. My SP10 has been as reliable as any of the 14 shotguns I own. Id say buy the one you like best

#6 ·
Dan the goose slayer said:
Hello all I am wanting a 10 gauge. I have narrowed it down to these two models and just can't decide. I do know that the Remington is not being made anymore. Also please don't comment trying to get me to get the 12 gauge 3 1/2 I won't. Thanks
:help:
Dan
I'll throw my two cents worth in here also. First, BOTH guns are very good shotguns. I owned an SP-10 from 1988 thru 2006. Loved that gun, and it performed every task I wanted from it. Traded it and another gun for a spendy sporting clays O/U in the summer of 2006. I still owned and shot a BPS-10, which I used for a few years. It performed okay, but just wasn't what I desired. "Bout 2yrs ago, I bought another auto, this time the Browning Gold Lite 10. It's a fine shooting weapon also. I shot/shoot a Briley IM (.745) choke,in both guns, which patterns great with my reloads out to 50 yards and farther. Will mention that I used the 10ga strictly for geese. Having used both guns, I myself would prefer the SP-10. The main reason being that it operated perfectly, regardless of what I tried to shoot thru it. I reload all my 10ga loads, haven't shot a factory round since the 80's. Now, with the Gold 10, I've found that I must trim the length of the new Remington hulls (about 400) that I have, before they will function properly in the Gold. These hulls are some I bought in the 90's and are approx. 1/8" longer than the present day hulls. The ejection port on the SP-10 can and would handle these without any problems. In the Gold Lite, about 90% of the empties will "hang-up" and fail to completely eject, unless I trim them before loading. Other then this one problem, the Gold Lite 10 is a great gun. If you plan to use only factory rounds, or want to mess with lenghts of hulls on reloads, then go with the Gold. Regardless which one you choose, make sure it "fits" first off.

#8 ·
I have (3) 10 guage browning golds, and all are great guns.Never had a problem out of any of them. Two are the black synthetic, with 26" barrel, and one is a camo with 28 " barrel. I do have some jamming problems with the remington 1 3/4 oz shells for some reason. I clean them after every hunt. The winchester 1 3/4 oz shells worked the best for me in the past. I cant find them anymore, but i have a few cases left.My buddy shoots an ithaca mag 10, and a rem sp 10, but the are heavier than the gold light. The gold doesn't kick at all, so thats why i use it.In my opinion, i like the gold, but im sure you will get alot of different opinions./ Good luck.

#9 ·
heffs72 said:
I have (3) 10 guage browning golds, and all are great guns.Never had a problem out of any of them. Two are the black synthetic, with 26" barrel, and one is a camo with 28 " barrel. I do have some jamming problems with the remington 1 3/4 oz shells for some reason. I clean them after every hunt. The winchester 1 3/4 oz shells worked the best for me in the past. I cant find them anymore, but i have a few cases left.My buddy shoots an ithaca mag 10, and a rem sp 10, but the are heavier than the gold light. The gold doesn't kick at all, so thats why i use it.In my opinion, i like the gold, but im sure you will get alot of different opinions./ Good luck.
Your not the 1st one to have trouble with 13/4oz remingtons my old mag-10 ran them great but with my gold lite its hit or miss from shell to shell

#10 ·
Pointability - Browning
Weight - Browning
Ease of Handling - Browning
Still made - Browning
Easiest to resell - Browning
Fits most hunters - Browning
Looks - Browning
Camo - Browning

This is an argument?

Biggest decision is whether to spring for a light - that's a yes too.

BTW - I think the Rem is a great gun, but in a comparison I really think it's 2nd to the Browning in every category I can think of.

I've shot them all, had a Gen 1 Browning before the lighter new one.

Shoots as light as a 12, kills further than a 12, and points nice for me.

One thing I would say though is get the short barrel

#11 ·
Ill take a steel receiver Remington SP10 over a Aluminum Alloy receiver Browning Gold 10 any day, I think the steel will hold up over the years better. BTW the steel receiver is why the SP10 is heavier but I don't believe any one has mentioned that fact

JMHO

#12 ·
I own one of each. My Browning Gold Light 10 was purchased new in 2007. My SP10 is a 2002 model. I haven't had any issues out of either gun and both have had 1000's of rounds through them. I agree with the others......just shoulder both of them and see which one fits you best. I will tell you that the Browning is lighter and is much easier to find parts/accessories for (chokes, sure cycle, etc.). Both are damn good shotguns. :beer:

#13 ·
RNT_MAN said:
I own one of each. My Browning Gold Light 10 was purchased new in 2007. My SP10 is a 2002 model. I haven't had any issues out of either gun and both have had 1000's of rounds through them. I agree with the others......just shoulder both of them and see which one fits you best. I will tell you that the Browning is lighter and is much easier to find parts/accessories for (chokes, sure cycle, etc.). Both are damn good shotguns. :beer:
Which one do you like more thanks

Dan

#14 ·
RNT_MAN said:
Which one do you like more thanks

Dan
It just depends honestly. If I have to hold or carry my gun for long period of time I go with the browning because of the weight difference. The browning is also much easier to clean. I love both guns but if I had to choose I guess the browning is the winner.

#15 ·
I have a browning gold 10, black synthetic and 28" barrel. It is a workhorse and shoots whatever you put through it. It's not a light model, if it was, I'd probably still be shooting it at ducks and geese. I bought a maxus for ducks so the 10 only comes out a few times a year. I still love that gun.
No experience with the remington.

#17 ·
I would use the shotgun for duck and goose hunting with ocasional turkey hunting. Im probaly going to go with the brownng. I like how there is a plant in the satate that i live in and they seem to stand behind their products. Thanks

Dan
However I did just find a great deal on a sp-10 on arms list I don't really think there is a difference in reliability is there? Thanks

Dan

#18 ·
The SP-10 is a real workhorse!!! I have had mine since 1989 and never had a problem. I have probably shot mine about 3000 times and never missed a beat. I use it to hunt ducks, geese, and turkeys. The gun is heavy (about 11#) but that is what makes the gun great as it soaks up recoil and the gun keeps swinging. Good luck with yours! John

#19 ·
Iloveducks said:
The SP-10 is a real workhorse!!! I have had mine since 1989 and never had a problem. I have probably shot mine about 3000 times and never missed a beat. I use it to hunt ducks, geese, and turkeys. The gun is heavy (about 11#) but that is what makes the gun great as it soaks up recoil and the gun keeps swinging. Good luck with yours! John
I want both but I like the fact that the gold is being made today and there is a factory in my state. The sp 10 is very heavy and I'm not sure I like it that they don't make it anymore. Thanks dan

#20 ·
if buying local is a priority, keep in mind that no shotgun browning has ever sold was ever made in the USA. most are belgium or japan.

i like my SP-10, i wouldn't bring it along for jump shooting, but the weight sure makes it easy on my shoulder. no more felt recoil than a 2 3/4" 12 gauge shell, in my opinion. i've never even seen a gold 10 but have heard good things.

#23 ·
Rockbuggy1 said:
I'm hunting with a gold lite 10 for the first time this year and so far I really like it (except for having to push the slide release button to put more shells in it, real PITA). The sp10's are good guns but I find them more heavy and awkward than the browning
I also am hunting with the gold lite 10 for the first time this year. I've been very pleased with it so far without a single hiccup. The slide release button to put more shells in and the location of the safety do take some getting used to, but are definitely not a deal breaker for me. Two other guys in my group shoot the Sp10's and they've never had a problem. It really comes down to which one you prefer or get a good deal on.

#24 ·
MY first 10 was a bps and I shot the gun well and was as reliable as they come. The problem I had is with my short arms my jacket cuffs would get stuck in the forearm cut out and stop the cycling. So i ended up selling it and buying the gold 10 light and have loved it since the first shot ten years ago. I love the weight of the light being a smaller guy 5'5 it handles and swing very well for me and recoils way less then the bps did. I've used it on ducks,geese and turkeys. And even on a pheasant trip ( broken extractor on a 11-87) I have friends that are sp 10 and mag 10 guys and they love their 10s as well. but the sp 10 just dont "feel right" in my hands as the browning does. For loads my favorite are federal 1 1/2 oz 1's through a wad wizard swat 10 tube its all i shoot for geese with the 10. IT also gets put to use as a cripple gun on diver hunts and i normally use t shot for that use. The t's retain energy better against water and it normally only takes one pellet in ducks body to stop it.

#26 ·
The standard weight browning doesn't have hye goofy shell feeding issue. The light is like the beretta shotguns. It seems like it takes three hands to load one until you get the hang of it.

I own and shoot both. The extra long Remington cases have hung up in both guns. My sp-10's as well as the Browning golds have both failed to feed those long cases. The guy that was having trouble with his 1 shells/4 Remingtons ejecting was having that problem because the factor loaded ammo was too long! The shells will feed just fine,it's when they are fired that they become too long and they will hang up.

I have had Remington empty hulls that were too long as well. I also trimmed them and the problem went away. Not a good thing if you are shooting factory ammo and nothing you can do about it except load reloads or other ammo and make the long cases your third shot.

Better yet.... If you don't plan on re-loading, just buy Winchester ammo as they are never too long.

They are both great but the Browning has always been easier to clean then the Remington. This is the sole reason I would go with the Browning.

As for parts? Yuo just call Remington. They have every part you could ever need. Parts are not an issue. The gun really doesn't break many parts anyway. Neither does the Browning. I wouldn't buy the lite model for the ammo loading issue as well as the fact that you can buy a used Gold for less then 700 bucks on Gunbroker most of the time.

buying a 10ga shotgun with the bore shot out of it is like buying a 458 Winchester magnum that needs a new barrel.

Most guys buy a 10 and quickly find out that they can't kill birds any farther with it then they can a 12ga and sell them.

It's painfully simple to find a near new used 10ga auto.

Just don't make the mistake of shooting small shot and you will have a gun that will add 15 to 20 yards to your range. I shoot nothing smaller then T's and if Bucks run gets the TT's back in stock this year, I will never shoot T's again. Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.