women's shotgun choice

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

women's shotgun choice

Postby gsphunter » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:09 am

Hey guys my girlfriend has been out shooting trap and skeet with me a few times and is really doing good. Says she wants to give hunting a try next year. She's been shooting my buddies 870 20 gauge and the gun really fits her good and is comfortable. She's got an old softball injury in her right shoulder so recoil is a big issue so a 12 gauge is out of the question. My question is this will a 20 gauge be enough gun for bringing down ducks. Also will I be able to find steel shot easy enough in 20 gauge shells. Thanks for any input.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby LUV2DUChunt » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:10 am

I have a hunting buddy who brings his daughter and they dont have problems finding shells. As for knocking down ducks as long as they are in range no problem. They are actually hunt clubs that only allow 20 gauges to keep from taking stupid shots and no skybusting. I watched a video and the guys did fine. Hope that helps. :thumbsup:
Jason

Get out and Hunt!!! Then youll understand what an addiction is. We all know about it but can't explain it.
LUV2DUChunt
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:19 am

Loads that will kill ducks are no issue over decoys. Hevi shot will really do it as it is better than lead for small payloads and small shot sizes. Bismuth should also be good for the small ga. Steel should be OK over decoys and there are a lot of steel loads out there for the 20. Problem is that the heavy 20 loads in a smaller lighter gun kick as much as the lighter loads in the heavier 12 ga. My first choice would be a 12 Ga. auto. A nice youth or ladies mod. maybe 390 26". Stock shims are adjustable and recoil is not that bad. If someone at the range will lend an auto and some light 12 loads have her try it. I think a one oz. load in one of my 20 o/u or 870's kicks more than the 1 oz. in in any 12. You can also look at some of great new recoil pads to help out.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:26 pm

Consider the Extrema. It hasa 20% lighter kick than a gas op system.

Otherwise the The Win SX2 is an excellent chioce too.

BUT- fit should be foremost. The gun should fit her(or anybody for that matter) for her to shoot well. Fit should be #1 priority, then the brand, model, etc...
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:26 pm

Check out different youth models at
http://gunbroker.com
Or
http://gunsamerica.com
For ballpark prices and pics.
Y'all have a nice day
:salude:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:04 pm

Hey thanks alot for all the help so far. Please keep it coming.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:49 pm

YES! 20 guage is a great duck gun, steel shot can be bought at any gun store/large retailer (in 2 3/4" and 3"). She should not have a problem wiht that at all, just limit your shots.

-SR
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby oldhunter » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:43 pm

thaner is right on with his comment about hevi-shot and recoil with the 20ga. I would take a strong look at a 12ga auto with recoil compinsator such as a Berrtta or Benilli. I would venture to say that the felt recoil in these are less than the 870 20ga. They also come with stock shims so you can adjust the gun for personial fit. some of their models have special pads built into the cheek piece and a special recoil asorbing recoil pad. This is supposed to greatly reduce the felt recoil also. If her budget doesn't allow for that price of gun then stick with the 870 20ga.. Just don,t shoot the hevi stuff and keep the shoot loads as light as you can get away with.(the heaver the shot load,the faster the shot load, the more recoil)
She should not have any problem finding steel loads for the 20ga.
oldhunter
oldhunter
hunter

Postby thaner » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:16 pm

Above all you must get her something you would like to shoot so if it doesn't work out you can have it. :laughing:
thaner
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:41 am

I think that's about the best suggestion yet thaner. I've thought of using SVL recoil pad. Does anybody have any experience with these?
gsphunter
hunter

Postby thaner » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:44 pm

No but the limb saver is real good.
thaner
hunter

Re: women's shotgun choice

Postby BLKLABMAN » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:19 pm

gsphunter wrote:Hey guys my girlfriend has been out shooting trap and skeet with me a few times and is really doing good. Says she wants to give hunting a try next year. She's been shooting my buddies 870 20 gauge and the gun really fits her good and is comfortable. She's got an old softball injury in her right shoulder so recoil is a big issue so a 12 gauge is out of the question. My question is this will a 20 gauge be enough gun for bringing down ducks. Also will I be able to find steel shot easy enough in 20 gauge shells. Thanks for any input.

My wife shoots a Benelli M1 20ga with a Briley X2 LM choke. We have found that Kent Tungsten Matrix 3" #3's are DEADLY on ducks and geese.
Another alternative is Hevi-Shot.
With these loads the 20ga is more than equal to any factory 12ga 3" or 3.5 steel load.
BLKLABMAN
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum