Oh my lanta

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Oh my lanta

Postby Loco gringo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:16 am

Ok so I'm fairly new to duck hunting, being from Florida I never really got introduced to it , but one thing I did do on a regular basis was skeet shooting and was always really good at it. Well I took out the old shotgun and bought some flyers and figured I would get back I to it since I was going to start duck hunting. Well the problem is I can't hit a damn thing with my gun but I can change guns with a buddy and nail everything and he picks up the same problem with my gun. Is there anything I can do or check to find the problem?
Loco gringo
Newb

Re: Oh my lanta

Postby MarkM » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:27 am

Pattern it to see where it is hitting, either high, left, right, low, sideways, etc...
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby jpari » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:16 pm

The gun probably does not fit you correctly. Mounting the gun and shooting at a pattern board will help you determine your point of impact. If the gun came with shims then you can change the shims to correct your point of impact. If the gun does not have shims available, since you mentioned the old gun, then stock bending is an option. Also, a consistent mount is a must. Once you correct the gun fit you also should practice your gun mount. During the season I generally practice my mount 50 times per night when time permits. Since you are pretty much starting from scratch a few shooting lessons would be money very well spent. Your shooting issues can be caused by a few problems that we here could not determine without seeing you shoot. You could be lifting your head, your mount could be incorrect, you could be stopping your swing or you might not be getting the gun out in front of the target just to name a few possibilities. Thus, two or three lessons could solve your problem. A good shooting instructor can help you solve issues that you did not know existed. Good Luck.
jpari
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:42 pm

Sounds like you have been away from shotgunning for awhile?
Not uncommon to lose the ol' touch when you don't stay in practice.

maybe you just need to put more shot down the barrel. Might be nothing more than being rusty. You, that is.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Loco gringo » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:45 pm

Yea they don't really like the ole shotgunin in afghan land lol
Loco gringo
Newb

Postby Leaky-NY » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:38 pm

Since you say you can hit with your buddy's gun you should pattern your gun. :welcome: back to the world and good luck hunting.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum