Illinois: Buying Shotgun Privately

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Illinois: Buying Shotgun Privately

Postby sharsch » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:36 pm

Hi all - I've recently moved to Illinois and have my FOID card. Anybody know what steps I need to take with the state in order to buy a shotgun privately? I'm really hoping to not have to have the seller ship it to Illinois but want to do this the right way.

Thanks!
sharsch
hunter

Re: Illinois: Buying Shotgun Privately

Postby aunt betty » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:41 pm

Start looking for a gun shop in your area to "receive" your gun when it's shipped. I assume your buying one used and having it shipped to Illinois from somewhere...
Ask about fees. Some charge more than others and not all gun shops do this. $25 for the fee to receive the gun is normal from what I've heard. ****'s Sporting Goods might do it, not sure. There are lots of people out there who sell guns, you'll find one...start googling and good luck. Welcome to the forums by the way. :welcome:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby sharsch » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:16 am

Thanks! So, if I wanted to buy a shotgun off of another individual rather than from a company, would I still need to have it shipped to a gun store?
sharsch
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:59 am

If it is from a different state, yes. Not sure about face to face in your state. Call your local police department and ask, they can tell you for sure.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:44 am

For face to face in Illinois the seller must keep record of the sale (or gift) for ten years. No other special requirement other than make sure the purchaser has FOID.
If sellerr is fll, then the one day waiting period on long gun and 3-day on pistols is in play along with background check.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:45 pm

FTF transfer for long guns is fine. Even between different states.
Provided that the IL resident buyer has a FOID and the 24 hour waiting period is honored.

The seller must maintain record of the transaction for 10 years.
Interstate sale of handguns, requires an FFL dealer transfer, and 72 hour waiting period.

These laws will change in Jan, due to new legislation thanks to Pat Quinn.
copterdoc
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum