worst gun problem to happen while hunting?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: worst gun problem to happen while hunting?

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:35 am

I had two, I had an 1187 barrel split on me. I think what happened was the choke worked lose and the wad caught it maybe? I had two ducks come in, shot and killed the first one right in my face, the second going away was when the barrel exploded. It hit the water flopping but was down. When the dog brought it back, it obviously was hit with something bigger than shot. Its head was tore to pieces.
Opening day about 6-7 years ago I was hunting with an old Browning, and the entire safety fell out. I shot and when I went to put the safety back on the button was just gone.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:57 am

The last time I used my 870 it did not like federal 3" shells. They would hang up on ejection and the next shell would slip out of the mag and under the lifter tying up the gun. I would have to pull the barrel to clear it. Wouldn't happen with any other brand. Eventually figured out that the fired federal shells were about 1/8' longer than the other brands. Have not used the gun in aboy 15 years so I'm not sure if Federals are still a problem in it or not.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Sclf » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:18 am

Had a buddy's gun misfire, it must have been a light firing pin strike or maybe wet powder. Anyway, gun goes click but not boom. He waits a few secs then ejects the shell. When he ejected the shell it flew up about eight inches from his ear and went boom outside the gun. Luckily nothing actually hit him but it sure rang his bell. Busted his ear drum and gave him a concussion. Worst part is, he was by himself. He was at our lease which is in the marsh and it's a helluva walk. Took him 4 hours to crawl through the marsh to get to his truck. This all happened during teal season in south LA which means it was friggin hot outside!
Sclf
hunter

Postby hamernhonkers » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:26 am

The worst thing ever is having a nice little flock of 6 honkers feet down centering up over the hole and just as you pull up you see the band gleaming in the sun light, you bear down on the goose and squeeze the trigger...............CLICK! The famous Benelli click gets you again :no: :mad: :mad:
Hello

David wrote:
I have suspended the suspension on the suspended, allowing the suspended to post in a non-suspending manner.
hamernhonkers
hunter

Postby Bug Doc » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:52 am

Only problem is being too damn smart for my britches. Used to always shoot my 1100's dry in cold weather, but that made them hard to clean. Upon discovering FP10 I started shooting them with a good coat of oil, as that made cleaning easier. Works great here in Utah. However, went on a group trip to Nebraska, and loaned out an 1187 and an SPR453 to buddies while shooting an 1100 myself. The talcum-powder sand blowing in the area mixed with the oil and literally formed a crust in the actions, grinding all three to a halt. Lesson learned. :rolleyes:
Bug Doc
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:18 am

Never had a catastrophic failure but after my grandpa gave me his Winchester model 50 I took it apart to give it a thorough cleaning and when I put it back together I had the "timing" set a little to tight and the first time I took it out it would only cycle low brass ammo about 50% of the time.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Washburn88 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:21 pm

Hey guys new to the forum here. Few years ago I had a shell problem not shotgun problem. Was cycling a shell out of the chamber on my super nova. Slide got to about half way open when the shell went off. It spilt the side of the shell open and felt the pellets go by my face. Luckily missed me but scared the living piss out of me. To this day have no idea what caused the shell to go off. Primer was not struck and the gun wasn't hot. Thanked the big man upstairs I still have the right side of face.
Washburn88
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Washburn88 wrote:Hey guys new to the forum here. Few years ago I had a shell problem not shotgun problem. Was cycling a shell out of the chamber on my super nova. Slide got to about half way open when the shell went off. It spilt the side of the shell open and felt the pellets go by my face. Luckily missed me but scared the living piss out of me. To this day have no idea what caused the shell to go off. Primer was not struck and the gun wasn't hot. Thanked the big man upstairs I still have the right side of face.

Oh my! I would have been on the doorstep of that ammo company with a lawyer at my side after that!
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby jrp267 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:19 pm

Had a Charles daly bolt fracture into 4 pieces. Twice.
jrp267
hunter

Postby Okie Ducker » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:33 pm

I used to load my own shells for my classic S X S 12ga. One morning while hunting with my son and brother-in-law I quickly loaded my "loads" into both barrels and didn't pay close attention to the condition of the shells. In one of the barrels the crimp on one shell had come lose enough to cause about 1/2 the shot to roll out and lose the pressure of the wad on the powder. When I pulled up and fired all I got was a "POP" and you could actually see the remaining shot fly through the air and drop a few feet away from me and my hunting pards. The wad stuck in the barrel. My pards got a big laugh at my expense. :oops:
Okie Ducker
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:20 pm

A couple years ago we decided we wanted to go way out and hunt this island for divers ( bout 10 mile run). We get out there and we are having a pretty good little shoot when the next group came in I sat up dropped the lead bird and switched to the next drake and click is all I heard.....I open the chamber of my sbe and there's nothing there. I flip the gun over so I could see the mag and my shell was hung up in the mag. Without thinking I begin to disassemble it on this rock wall. I no sooner get the cap off than the barrel launches out of my hand....I proceed to watch my bolt disassble in mid air. 2 hours later I find every piece of my bolt in waist dee, rocky water and went ahead and put it back together. I went ahead and took the mag spring out and all this powder came out from me never cleaning it. Put it all back together and continued shooting.....minus 2 hours of time lol

Haven't had a problem since
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby OldGeezer » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Windrider wrote:This past dove season I flicked off the safety on my old 16ga and it went off. Happened two different times.

Fortunately I remove the safety in the early stages of the mount, gun pointed up about 70 degrees.

First time I figured I did something wring. Second time it went to the case.

That will make your finger sore.

Deja Vu!

The 16ga wasn't a Winchester Model 12 was it? My 16ga Model 12 did the exact same thing. :eek:

Last season, my Browning Silver had the bolt link break in the field. Didn't bring a spare. :no: Good thing, Browning fixed it for free.
OldGeezer
hunter

Postby gooseseeker » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:08 pm

Last year during the end of a snowgoose hunt had the safety break off.
gooseseeker
hunter

Postby Windrider » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:16 pm

OldGeezer wrote:
Windrider wrote:This past dove season I flicked off the safety on my old 16ga and it went off. Happened two different times.

Fortunately I remove the safety in the early stages of the mount, gun pointed up about 70 degrees.

First time I figured I did something wring. Second time it went to the case.

That will make your finger sore.

Deja Vu!

The 16ga wasn't a Winchester Model 12 was it? My 16ga Model 12 did the exact same thing. :eek:

Last season, my Browning Silver had the bolt link break in the field. Didn't bring a spare. :no: Good thing, Browning fixed it for free.

Nope. This one is a very early post WW2 Belgian A5 with the trigger guard at the front of the safety.
Windrider
hunter

Postby Flatire » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:39 am

A few years back I took my I12 out on opening day of duck season and on the first shot the bolt handle fell in the lake and the gun jammed. The hunt ended, it took three weeks to get a replacement, I swore off semi auto guns, sold the piece of junk and bought 2 Browning O/U's (one for hunting the other as a backup). Hope I never get caught without a gun on my favorite day of the year ever again
put it on the table
Flatire
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:15 am

We called the shot on 5-6 geese last year, I came up pulled the trigger and nothing. Look and the bolt is back. Close, release one from the tube, rack the bolt, try one desperation shot. Safety on. Stupid p.o.s. gun
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby berudd » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:13 am

Duck related. Pulled up my 1100 to shoot a duck. Bang and the bolt more or less flops around. The link from the bolt carrier to the recoil spring broke.

But the worst was my second or third year of deer hunting. A brute of a buck steps out at around 130 yards, broadside. I fire and he stands there. As I chamber another round he turns and runs back in the woods. At the point I realize the screws holding my scope bases on have backed out and the scope is rattling in its mounts. I get down and go to where the deer was standing just in case. As I approach he bounds off. Looks like a horse with atlers. A family member hunting the land gets a good look at him but now shot. I found no blood just some white hair. Said family member lived on the land and I didn't. He took the week off to hunt him and got him before I could get back out the next weekend. I think he hunted my stand. Now he's on someone else's wall.
berudd
hunter

Postby ksfowler166 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:19 pm

The worst time was a couple years ago when I was pheasant hunting up around Minneapolis, Kansas that is. While walking on of the fields I shoot at a bird and the bolt handle on my Charles Daly Hunter 12ga flew off into the grass never to be seen. As well as also having one of the sling swivels break. It has probably taken four of more years to finally get that gun repaired.
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:34 pm

worst gun problem, a buddy who hadn't hunted for several years decided to get back into duck hunting, so after going out and buying a new call, new decoys, new waders, and 17 other items including a new gun he was really fired up for opening day. He loads everything into his truck, comes by the house and picks me up at 3:30 . We drive 60 miles to our hunting spot, after getting his waders on, he goes to get his gun from behind the seat. Then the worst possible problem came up, to his dismay, his gun was sitting on his front porch at home.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby Feather Seeker » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:00 pm

Mossberg safetys,really aggrivate me. :sad:
Feather Seeker
hunter

Postby Grouse » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:23 pm

15 years ago I bought a single shot 10 for reliability less moving parts right? First group of geese came in two touched down and third was about a foot up yet. Had shouldered gun squeezed trigger and click tried new shell goose now over head about 10 feet. Click.........Bad firing pin .Sent it back (NE arms) new one 15 years no problem.
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.
Grouse
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:53 am

Not sure what happened. Basically the barrel exploded at the choke.

Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:10 pm

What size for shot and choke constriction were you using? I've something similar happen when shooting BB's through factory full chokes.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby Frylock » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:28 pm

MinnesotaDan wrote:Not sure what happened. Basically the barrel exploded at the choke.

Yikes! Were you injured?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Frylock
hunter

Postby blacknwhite71 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:48 am

My dad got his first new shotgun in 20 years an 11-87, he ordered it and it came in before we got invited on an awesome trip so we picked his new gun up on the way out. We cleaned it the night before and then went hunting the next morning. When the first flight came in I picked up and shot but didnt hear him shoot. I looked over and he was cussing messing with his gun because it wouldn't switch to fire, the safety has a J key hole on it and he left that in the box thinking it was a cleaning tool or something. So then he breaks the tip off his favorite pocket knife tip trying to unlock it, after that he put it in corner and we took turns with my gun. The hunt went pretty good after that until we looked over at his gun and it was completely covered in rust from the salt water and a bad finish on the first few runs of the 11-87 super magnum. After that he hated the gun and went back to his old winchester, my girlfriend shoots it now but the finish is shot.
blacknwhite71
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum