Are Benelli's really worth the money?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Are Benelli's really worth the money?

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:41 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:Its been said before, but lets look at it like this. Ford Vs. Chevrolet. Me myself, im a chevy guy, the guys who are ride or die for either brand will tell you their brand of truck is worth it. There are the guys who have had bad experiances with another, will switch brands. Then there's the guys who simply haven't owned one, but will still talk the trash as if they had.

What he said :thumbsup:

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:23 pm

I would put up B gun over a model 1 any day :yes:
cootlover
hunter

Postby fullpattern » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:23 am

My SBE has broke twice!!!!!!!! THATS way to much way to much for a $800 gun. Ya I bought it twenty years ago and when I was younger the recoil didn't bother me as much. Man it kicks hard compared to my X2. The part that has broken twice is the ejector pin. The SBE2 my friend has, is built stronger now at the ejector pin with bigger beefier parts. No its not worth the mony to me to buy another one even if it is stronger due to the cost and harsher recoil compared to a gas gun.
Last edited by fullpattern on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If you call they will come" 2013-14 birds. days in field 26
50 grn wings 19 spoon 11 mal 6 rings 5 gad 3 wig 3 sprig
3 cin 4 cans 1 scaup 3 specks 1 Ross 1 snow
fullpattern
hunter

Postby Frylock » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:48 am

The only people that trash Benellis are the folks that can't afford them, jealousy plain and simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Frylock
hunter

Postby surfrat » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:36 pm

OUCH. :crying:
surfrat
hunter

Postby Baydog40 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:41 pm

I've got a SBEII sitting in the gun safe where it's probably going to stay until the kids sell it after they plant me. I struggled with the POS for three seasons. Never could get it to reliably cycle goose loads, especially 3-1/2" but even 3". I tried it clean, dirty, oiled, dry, in the middle, Tefloned sprayed, you name it, but it was a rare hunt that didn't have one if not multiple stove pipes no matter what I did.

Plus when hunting out of a coffin blind, it's all too easy to push the bolt handle a little, and if you do, it's a "click" every time. Every other auto shotgun I've owned you could actually pull the bolt back a little to check the load..if the SBEII bolts means even a fraction, it won't fire until you fully cycle it. Dumb design.

At the start of last season, I dug out the old school 3" A-5 and never looked back. Now when I pull the trigger it goes bang, every time. I probably ought to send the SBEII back to the factory to see if they can fix it, since the blueing on the A-5 takes a beating duck hunting in the salt marsh.
Baydog40
Newb

Postby BBK » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:48 pm

Baydog40 wrote:Plus when hunting out of a coffin blind, it's all too easy to push the bolt handle a little, and if you do, it's a "click" every time. Every other auto shotgun I've owned you could actually pull the bolt back a little to check the load..if the SBEII bolts means even a fraction, it won't fire until you fully cycle it. Dumb design.

Pull it back 3/4 of the way and then let go, it will rotate closed every time. You've actually pulled back the bolt to check a shell and had it not go back multiple times? After the first time I did it, common sense kicked in and told me that if its visually not closed that it will not fire.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:17 pm

Baydog40 wrote:I've got a SBEII sitting in the gun safe where it's probably going to stay until the kids sell it after they plant me. I struggled with the POS for three seasons. Never could get it to reliably cycle goose loads, especially 3-1/2" but even 3". I tried it clean, dirty, oiled, dry, in the middle, Tefloned sprayed, you name it, but it was a rare hunt that didn't have one if not multiple stove pipes no matter what I did.

Plus when hunting out of a coffin blind, it's all too easy to push the bolt handle a little, and if you do, it's a "click" every time. Every other auto shotgun I've owned you could actually pull the bolt back a little to check the load..if the SBEII bolts means even a fraction, it won't fire until you fully cycle it. Dumb design.

At the start of last season, I dug out the old school 3" A-5 and never looked back. Now when I pull the trigger it goes bang, every time. I probably ought to send the SBEII back to the factory to see if they can fix it, since the blueing on the A-5 takes a beating duck hunting in the salt marsh.

you have too close it very softly for it not to shut on its own,take advantage of the 10 year warranty .
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby Baydog40 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:25 pm

BBK wrote:
Baydog40 wrote:Plus when hunting out of a coffin blind, it's all too easy to push the bolt handle a little, and if you do, it's a "click" every time. Every other auto shotgun I've owned you could actually pull the bolt back a little to check the load..if the SBEII bolts means even a fraction, it won't fire until you fully cycle it. Dumb design.

Pull it back 3/4 of the way and then let go, it will rotate closed every time. You've actually pulled back the bolt to check a shell and had it not go back multiple times? After the first time I did it, common sense kicked in and told me that if its visually not closed that it will not fire.

Nah, I'm not pulling it back on purpose. If it drags against the side of the blind on the way out or gets bumped by my fat a** when pouring coffee, that little bit of movement is enough to make it not fire. You don't know it's happened until you hear "click", then it's a fast shuck and a scramble to get back on target.
Baydog40
Newb

Postby Baydog40 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:30 pm

winchester1852 wrote:
Baydog40 wrote:I've got a SBEII sitting in the gun safe where it's probably going to stay until the kids sell it after they plant me. I struggled with the POS for three seasons. Never could get it to reliably cycle goose loads, especially 3-1/2" but even 3". I tried it clean, dirty, oiled, dry, in the middle, Tefloned sprayed, you name it, but it was a rare hunt that didn't have one if not multiple stove pipes no matter what I did.

you have too close it very softly for it not to shut on its own,take advantage of the 10 year warranty .

I had no idea they had a 10 year warranty. I'll call the local gun store i bought from and see if they'll handle the hassle of getting it to Benelli for me. Thanks!
Baydog40
Newb

Postby Hugatree » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:02 pm

Benelli is one of the few semi-auto shotguns that you can duck hunt with all season and do nothing more than a cursory wipe down with an oily rag. They are worth the money if your financial house is in order. If you can't pay your bills on time, it makes no sense to buy a shotgun that costs as much or more than a house payment.
Super Elite Cubic Zirconia Geritol Pro Staff
Hugatree
hunter

Postby carl1783 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:21 pm

Just picked up a '98 SBE 1, cycles flawlessly and I haven't missed a bird with it yet. They are spendy but if you can find a used one then I think it's worth it.
13/14
Mallard: 6
Geese: 2
carl1783
hunter

Postby bgk » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:48 pm

I guess it depends on how much money you have to spend.
I can tell you this: I am a obsessive waterfowl hunter for more than 50 years. I was totally spoiled, having grown up with Model 12's and Auto 5's. Since the mandatory non-toxic shot regulations, I have owned quite a few autoloaders, including Browning Golds, SBE's, SX3's as well as many others. None were even close in reliability with respect to the older guns.

As to my experience with the SBE's (2 of them), I personally did not have a good experience. First of all, they both would occasionally "hang" shells. As they got older, (i.e. more than 2 years, they became more problematic). Got rid of them.

Now, there are people who are obsessed with brand pride and will say, the guy doesn't know how to clean them (mine are cleaned military standards after each hunt). I have had people who suggested that there is a common problem with the SBE return springs and recommended Sure Cycle replacements. I suspect that may be the root of the issue but that is not what I would want to hear after spending over $1200 for the gun.

Another thing that I disliked was the difficulty in getting good patterns with fast steel shot. After spending considerable money on after market chokes, I did find a good combination that satisfied my needs.

Finally, there is the SBE click issue which has been well documented.

That sums up my experience with 2 SBE's that I purchased.
bgk
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:45 pm

Why dont people go online to read some reviews? I realize alot of people may own the OLD sbe's but people who are buying them today should look around and take the hint that there not a reliable shotgun. Theres still the vinci, m2, cordoba, and the montefeltro. All of these guns cost withing a hundred dollars or so of eachother. ( except the cordoba ). NONE of which have such a bad wrap as the sbe line. at least from what ive read. Im actually suprised so few own the montefeltro, its so purdy, and costs 2-300$ less. :eek:
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby Bricktop » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:13 am

I suspect semohunter already had his mind made up before he began this topic, but decided to chum the waters.

I read a lot of hyperbole from the Auto 5 disciples that seems to omit a little history.

Yeah, the Auto 5/Browning long recoil system was and is a great gun. Hell, the Franchi 48 is still in production and countless Auto 5s and Auto 5 derivatives are still in service and will continue giving good service long after most of us are gone. However, this same "is it worth it" nonsense was applied to Brownings at one time.

My dad bought his Sweet 16 for a cool $142 -- about $1100 in today's money -- in 1963. The argument back then was why spend that kind of jack on a Browning when you could get an Auto 5 knockoff for a lot less money (Remington Model 11s and Savage 720s were plentiful on the used market) or a Remington 11-48 or one of their then-new gas guns for about $100.

He messed around with a Savage 720 for a while and even bought a new Winchester Model 59 for about $85 in 1960 before resigning himself to buying his Auto 5. Was it worth it? You'd have to ask him, but he still has it. He's killed innumerable quail, doves, cottontails, swamp rabbits, squirrels, and a few ducks -- my granddad borrowed it and killed a deer in about 1968.

I suspect in another 50 years the "is it worth it" nonsense will focus on some future shotgun and the Auto 5 disciples will be replaced with Benelli devotees.

But "is it worth it?" Does it fit your budget? Does it do what you want it to do? Do you like the way it looks?
Bricktop
hunter

Postby MFunk13 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:29 am

1 word.. BROWNING
MFunk13
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:58 am

Bricktop wrote:I suspect semohunter already had his mind made up before he began this topic, but decided to chum the waters.

I read a lot of hyperbole from the Auto 5 disciples that seems to omit a little history.

Yeah, the Auto 5/Browning long recoil system was and is a great gun. Hell, the Franchi 48 is still in production and countless Auto 5s and Auto 5 derivatives are still in service and will continue giving good service long after most of us are gone. However, this same "is it worth it" nonsense was applied to Brownings at one time.

My dad bought his Sweet 16 for a cool $142 -- about $1100 in today's money -- in 1963. The argument back then was why spend that kind of jack on a Browning when you could get an Auto 5 knockoff for a lot less money (Remington Model 11s and Savage 720s were plentiful on the used market) or a Remington 11-48 or one of their then-new gas guns for about $100.

He messed around with a Savage 720 for a while and even bought a new Winchester Model 59 for about $85 in 1960 before resigning himself to buying his Auto 5. Was it worth it? You'd have to ask him, but he still has it. He's killed innumerable quail, doves, cottontails, swamp rabbits, squirrels, and a few ducks -- my granddad borrowed it and killed a deer in about 1968.

I suspect in another 50 years the "is it worth it" nonsense will focus on some future shotgun and the Auto 5 disciples will be replaced with Benelli devotees.

But "is it worth it?" Does it fit your budget? Does it do what you want it to do? Do you like the way it looks?

When I got into this waterfowl "madness" back in 1967, you weren't considered a serious waterfowler unless you hunted with an A-5 and used Winchester ammunition in it.

Remington 1100's were labelled the "poor man's" S/A and oft derided as sheet metal shotguns and Federal ammo was regarded as "crap".

IMO, the extensive hand fitting and finishing given to A-5's likely contribute to the legend and lore of their dependability as they came from the factory, ready for the field with all the "bugs" taken out which is sadly lacking in most all of today's mass production shotguns.

However, like anything with tires, teats or moving parts, they will give you "trouble" and wear out or break.

The testament to the long-term durability of the A-5 is simply how many are still in service decades later which is probably why many "older" waterfowlers and even some of the young pups are going retro with their shotgun choices and spurning the waterfowling shotgun du jour marketing hype so prevalent nowadays.

Remington 1100's are relatively easy to work on and like Chevy's, parts are widely available which (IMO) is probably why they number in the millions as Henry Ford proved that philosophy would work with his model A car.

A-5's are like a high-maintenance red-headed woman. Touch her gently.

If you are looking for an A-5 (of old) the dead giveaway that someone ignorant of the above statement has been messin' with her is to examine the screw slots to see if they are "boogered" up. This is usually proof positive they did not know you have to use gunsmith quality hollow-ground screw drivers. That observation alone should knock a couple hundred $$'s off the price as Lord only knows what misdeeds may have been done to the internal parts as well.

My grandkids will probably be shooting the A-5's they inherit. The Beretta's & Benelli's I have, may or may not still be functional at that point in time as that fact has yet to be ascertained via the test of time.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Bricktop » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:01 am

Yuchi1 wrote:If you are looking for an A-5 (of old) the dead giveaway that someone ignorant of the above statement has been messin' with her is to examine the screw slots to see if they are "boogered" up. This is usually proof positive they did not know you have to use gunsmith quality hollow-ground screw drivers. That observation alone should knock a couple hundred $$'s off the price as Lord only knows what misdeeds may have been done to the internal parts as well.
That's code for me to keep shopping. There's no telling what kind of headaches you're getting when some home gunsmith decided to do some "fixin'" on an Auto 5.
Bricktop
hunter

Postby Duckbenelli » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:11 pm

I have the SBEll and love it. Very light and natural pointing. The only niche is bumping the bolt but I am sure the others have some niche . But on all the forums seems the first few posts are from problems of the other best in the world guns listed in this thread. I also bought mine before the last latest and greatest brands came out. The major brands had to try and come up with something to compete with benelli. Also had a montefeltro and loved it but was to nice to beat around.
Last edited by Duckbenelli on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duckbenelli
Newb

Postby winchester1852 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:28 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:Why dont people go online to read some reviews? I realize alot of people may own the OLD sbe's but people who are buying them today should look around and take the hint that there not a reliable shotgun. Theres still the vinci, m2, cordoba, and the montefeltro. All of these guns cost withing a hundred dollars or so of eachother. ( except the cordoba ). NONE of which have such a bad wrap as the sbe line. at least from what ive read. Im actually suprised so few own the montefeltro, its so purdy, and costs 2-300$ less. :eek:

define a reliable shotgun.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:38 pm

My HkSBE is one of the most reliable shotguns I have owned and certainly is still my favorite over all others new or old. I would love to be able to find another duck gun that I liked as well but I cant unless its another old model SBE or M1. The only problem I have ever had with mine is a little rust on the outside of the barrel. A camo dip fixed that. Show me a shotgun that wont rust some the way they come from the factorys. In that reguard, I think they are all about equal.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:53 pm

winchester1852 wrote:
DuckManClyde wrote:Why dont people go online to read some reviews? I realize alot of people may own the OLD sbe's but people who are buying them today should look around and take the hint that there not a reliable shotgun. Theres still the vinci, m2, cordoba, and the montefeltro. All of these guns cost withing a hundred dollars or so of eachother. ( except the cordoba ). NONE of which have such a bad wrap as the sbe line. at least from what ive read. Im actually suprised so few own the montefeltro, its so purdy, and costs 2-300$ less. :eek:

consistently good quality and performance as my dictionary defines it. And for as many complaints as iv read time and time again, no, i wouldn't take the chance at getting a dime, out of a batch of duds. even with a 10 year warranty. any other benelli? hell yea! just not the sbe1 or 2.... jmho

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:15 pm

If all of a sudden, I wanted a new duck gun, not having the funds to spend 1500 or so on a new SBE2, I would start my search on gunbroker for a like new HkSBE. To me, there is nothing else like it or will fill the bill for me. I dearly love the one I have and only another one of the same model could replace it. I just watched one like I spoke of go for 800 in the last few days on gunbroker. I bought the one I have now in like new condition for 700. IMO, the best there is at an affordable price. I prefer it to the SBE2 but if I couldnt get a SBE I would go for the M1 as I dont have any use for shooting a 3.5 shell. Of course, the SBE is not for everyone as many seem to despise it for whatever reason. Maybe because they never hunted with one. When the SBE first appeared on the dealers shelves and the first time I handled one, I knew it was the gun for me and had to have one. I just had to settle for a used one is all which was ok for me. I eventually had mine dipped in max4 and now its perfect in my eyes.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:51 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:

consistently good quality and performance as my dictionary defines it. And for as many complaints as iv read time and time again, no, i wouldn't take the chance at getting a dime, out of a batch of duds. even with a 10 year warranty. any other benelli? hell yea! just not the sbe1 or 2.... jmho

exactly.
i have not seen many bad reviews on the sbe2 and most complaints are user error. from my personal experience the sbe has been a very reliable gun and it would't have that reputation otherwise.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby everythings ducky » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:12 pm

winchester1852 wrote:
DuckManClyde wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:

exactly.
i have not seen many bad reviews on the sbe2 and most complaints are user error. from my personal experience the sbe has been a very reliable gun and it would't have that reputation otherwise.

This stuff makes me laugh. It's like people that defend Ford and declare Fords are the best ever and there's a reason they're the number one truck ignoring the class action lawsuits. Brand loyalty and great corporate marketing plain and simple. Be one of Sheep and drink the Koolaid. Some Turkish made parts? Definitely worth the $1800 price. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
everythings ducky
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum