Are Benelli's really worth the money?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Are Benelli's really worth the money?

Postby Yuchi1 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:39 pm

Short answer...NO...IF, you buy them at retail.

Look around and you can often find a used SBE or SBEII (from a guy that fired some 3.5" cartridges through it :yes: ) for a good price.

BTW, I have five (5) of 'em (various models) in the battery and all were purchased at 40-75% of their original retail price.

They do however, "kick" much more than my Beretta 390's and their triggers are crap compared to the 390's as well.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:00 am

No on benelli, yes on beretta. I have the 391 I love it...
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:10 pm

A shotgun is worth what someone is willing to pay. For some, a benelli is well worth $1500. For others, a wingmaster 870 is a better choice. Its relative to what the buyer wants/likes in a gun and what he is willing to pay to get the gun he wants. For others to judge him is stupid.

I am shooting a benelli SBE, no I did not pay retail for it. If I had the means to, I would buy a SBE2 performance shop edition. To most that is a waste, but if I had the money I'd do it.
BBK
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:28 pm

Drink the cool-aid my B gun friends....Rem 870's... Win model 12's...Browning A5's ...have been used in the toughest places, shot more game than any B gun's will ever see. They are not worth the price.. :fingerpt:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Steele22 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:47 pm

Better choice than benelli lmao. They're the only choice
Steele22
hunter

Postby Steele22 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:48 pm

Pt
Last edited by Steele22 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steele22
hunter

Postby semohunter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:16 pm

clampdaddy wrote:I like my SBE2. Since you're a Remington man, have you thought about getting a Versamax? My hunting partner just got one and its a sweet shooting gun. The forearm feels a little chubby to me but that probably because my last two autos (sbe2 and maxus) had/have pretty thin forearms.

i have shot the versamax, and i really didnt like it i borrowed my buddies during snowgoose season this past march, to see what i thought about one and with his the forearm felt chubby like you said and the other thing for me was his magazine cap would always loosen its self no matter how tight you twisted it on. and every ten or fifteen shots it would come loose an just got real annoying...ive thought about another 11-87, ive pretty well been turned away from benelli after what i saw opening day with my buddies sbe2....and after shooting it...i know i dont like the vincci and have shot them..and i know i dont like the sbe2...........so i think their off the list....now i do think the new a5 is a pretty sweet gun...but after shooting a maxus this weekend in the blind im realy thinking that may be what i go with but i dont like the fact that you cant put an extended mag on it for snowgoose...(at least not that im aware of)
semohunter
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:39 pm

War Wagon wrote:Drink the cool-aid my B gun friends....Rem 870's... Win model 12's...Browning A5's ...have been used in the toughest places, shot more game than any B gun's will ever see. They are not worth the price.. :fingerpt:

browning a5 is a b gun :beer:
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby BBK » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:42 pm

winchester1852 wrote:
War Wagon wrote:Drink the cool-aid my B gun friends....Rem 870's... Win model 12's...Browning A5's ...have been used in the toughest places, shot more game than any B gun's will ever see. They are not worth the price.. :fingerpt:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
BBK
hunter

Postby semohunter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:01 pm

BBK wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:

:lol3: :lol3:
semohunter
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:02 pm

YEAP they are if that is what you want-- don't buy anything else or you will be sorry with anything less :thumbsup:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:19 pm

semohunter wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:I like my SBE2. Since you're a Remington man, have you thought about getting a Versamax? My hunting partner just got one and its a sweet shooting gun. The forearm feels a little chubby to me but that probably because my last two autos (sbe2 and maxus) had/have pretty thin forearms.

i have shot the versamax, and i really didnt like it i borrowed my buddies during snowgoose season this past march, to see what i thought about one and with his the forearm felt chubby like you said and the other thing for me was his magazine cap would always loosen its self no matter how tight you twisted it on. and every ten or fifteen shots it would come loose an just got real annoying...ive thought about another 11-87, ive pretty well been turned away from benelli after what i saw opening day with my buddies sbe2....and after shooting it...i know i dont like the vincci and have shot them..and i know i dont like the sbe2...........so i think their off the list....now i do think the new a5 is a pretty sweet gun...but after shooting a maxus this weekend in the blind im realy thinking that may be what i go with but i dont like the fact that you cant put an extended mag on it for snowgoose...(at least not that im aware of)

No, you can't put an extended mag on the Maxus, but it's a sweet gun none the less. I bought one when they first came out and hunted it for four seasons. It did go through two gas piston springs but it never jammed on me. It patterned beautifully too. Only problem was that flat rib. Never cared for that and I didn't shoot it very well. My old 870 had a raised rib and that was the sight picture I was used to. That's the main reason I bought my SBE2. The Winchester SX3 was the other model I considered but I already had a couple gas guns and wanted to try an inertia gun. If the Franchi Intensity were out at the time I probably would have bought one of them and saved a bunch of money, but I really do like my benelli now that I have it.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:14 am

No mention of the M2?

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby mudpack » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:16 am

winchester1852 wrote:
3200 man wrote:... a real gun , made of steel and fine wood that fits , not plastic or coatings
on the steel to cover-up the beauty of a good bluing job or the grain of a fine wood-set .

But , I do like my Maxus Sporting in Carbon-fiber for shooting Waterfowl :yes: I does look like a real Gun :thumbsup:

I agree, 1852, the irony in 3200's post is thick.
mudpack
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:19 am

Lets just say some things change for the better ! With guns being lighter , covered with Non-rusting coatings , over-bored
barrels and the ability to adjust the stock ( with spacers ) for proper fit makes it a real shooter with less recoil . I know , weight
reduces recoil but , packing a 9 lb gun into the marsh after 54 years of hunting has taken it's toll even tho , the true beauty of a
waterfowl gun is the success laying beside it with a full strap of birds . The good part of a plastic gun is going out in the morning
and having a couple young bucks carrying the decoys , even tho they still beat me to the spot and have most everything set-up
before I get there , I always tell them my Maxus is really light ! :yes: Then I show them How to Kill Birds ! :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:25 am

I think there are a lot of things in life that boil down to "because I can"....if you want one and you can swing it....

IMO...it's just a cock extender
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Frylock » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:52 am

BBK wrote:A shotgun is worth what someone is willing to pay. For some, a benelli is well worth $1500. For others, a wingmaster 870 is a better choice. Its relative to what the buyer wants/likes in a gun and what he is willing to pay to get the gun he wants. For others to judge him is stupid.

I am shooting a benelli SBE, no I did not pay retail for it. If I had the means to, I would buy a SBE2 performance shop edition. To most that is a waste, but if I had the money I'd do it.

Exactly! Worth, or value is perceived. Is a BMW overpriced?.....It is to me because is see no worth in a sedan with features I neither want or need. Benelli sets it's prices the way any other company does, by determine what the market will bear. Plenty of us see the worth or value in a Benelli and will pay what they charge for their guns. But to simply dismiss them as overpriced because you neither want or need the features they have is foolish and maybe even a little ignorant. The original poster did not ask if a Remington 870 will kill ducks as dead as Benelli - we all the answer to that. He asked if they are overpriced. I think we'd all benefit by knowing what lead some to that conclusion, poor quality, bad customer service, etc.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Frylock
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:22 am

Frylock wrote: He asked if they are overpriced. I think we'd all benefit by knowing what lead some to that conclusion, poor quality, bad customer service, etc.....

I think if you can get a 6 pack of Budweiser for $5 and the place next door has the same thing for $10 it is pretty easy to determine that something is overpriced....
But in the world of guns that only share one singular similarity (the gauge).....it's really never "apples to apples"
What do you really mean?
Is a Benelli charging to much for what it is?
Is that too much to spend on a shotgun?
Can I spend less and get a gun that is similar enough?

I think it's like watches...the sky is the limit...but there is a moment that more is just more and you are not even interested in the time anymore, just what you've got
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:08 pm

O.D.Lid wrote: you will be sorry with anything less :thumbsup:

Yes, you will. Because anything less will be Turkish or Russian, which are truly sorry guns.

You won't, however, be sorry with anything MORE...like a Browning, a Beretta, a Remington. I put the Benelli at the bottom of that group....based on the problems I've seen hunting buds have with their SBE's.
mudpack
hunter

Postby John Duck » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:41 pm

BE II is a popular gun, because when it come out there was nothing like it and still hard to beat overall. Light, handles like a dream, adjustable, simple, easy to clean. Prices should come down due to competition, but are not.
John Duck
hunter

Postby Frylock » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:42 pm

Slack Tide wrote:I think it's like watches...the sky is the limit...but there is a moment that more is just more and you are not even interested in the time anymore, just what you've got

That's a great analogy! Sometimes you just want what you want, price be damned.

Frylock
hunter

Postby Frylock » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:51 pm

mudpack wrote:....based on the problems I've seen hunting buds have with their SBE's.

To the original poster, if you've not made a decision on which Benelli (if any) to buy I'd skip right over the SBE's. I know a lot of the guys here like to poo poo the looks of the Vinci but it's a real solid gun and cheaper to boot.

Frylock
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:27 pm

semohunter wrote:
BBK wrote:
winchester1852 wrote:

Told son! :hi: :biggrin:
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:57 pm

Just keep Drinking the Cool-Aid. You problems will be over soon... :lol3:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:19 pm

What flavor? im fond of the cherry, with a little lemon juice and and halved oranges.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum