CHOKES Please Help

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

CHOKES Please Help

Postby Quak addict » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:42 pm

Hey

What is the diffences between the full choke, imp choke, and the modifed coke ?

which one is best for duck hunting?

Thanks alot
Quak addict
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:50 pm

Constriction is the difference. THe full chokes will have a much tighter pattern than a modified at 40 yards.

As for the best, you really need to pattern your gun to see what does the best outta your gun. I shoot my Improved Cylinder choke when hunting over decoys. Steel patterns tight anyway. My brother swears by modified. My friend shhots a patternmaster which has full choke constriction.

I don't bust out the full choke unless I am pass shooting. Smoebody else can jump in here and correct me if I am wrong.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby oldhunter » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:10 pm

The full choke throughs a very tight pattern...good for turkeys and lead shot.
The modified chokes opens the pattern a little larger...This is what most use for waterfowel with steel shot.(steel patterns tighter than lead)
The imp. cyl. choke opens up even wider...sometimes better when shooting over decoys and the ducks are coming in very close.
You need to pattern each with the size shot that you are useing at the distance that you are shooting to see which will give you the best pattern and what it looks like. Take a big square piece of butcher paper and draw a near life size duck on it then shoot it and count the number of holes in the duck. The choke that gives you the most holes is the one you want to use. Differant size shot will give you a differant pattern also. Usually they dont recomend useing the full choke with steel shot for it can split your barrel, especially if you are shooting T's. Hopes this helps you.
oldhunter
oldhunter
hunter

Postby thaner » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:35 pm

The previous posts have good advice. Patterning is key. It really doesn’t matter anymore about the patterning percentages always quoted with lead loads when your talking about the non-tox as the new stuff is all different and patterns different. The choke is just a constriction that is supposed to print a cretin percentage of pellets in a 30” circle at a given range with lead. Even with lead it is dependent on shot hardness and other variables. There is all kinds of technical information about the chokes and percentages but what you are really looking for is a good pattern that is well distributed over a 30” circle or better if possible. The density of the pattern increases with constriction to a point. Pattern different chokes with different loads and see what the gun is doing. You want patterns that will put 5-6 hits on the size target you are hunting at the range you are shooting. A few more is fine but you don’t want to over due it if your eating it. Know the distance each choke shoots a nice pattern with each choke and take the chokes hunting. Change as the shooting range changes selecting the one that best suits the average range your shots are at.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum